VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

It was suggested to come to this group for this problem. I recently inherited my grandfathers Canon HV20 and the many tapes of family memories with it. I have managed to get a computer set up that uses a firewire to import the video into a digital format from the camcorder. However, when I import the tapes using either iMovie or Quicktime, the audio does not seem to be imported with the video. I hear the audio through the camcorder and when I use quicktime there is indication that the audio is there but it will not show up on the finished product. Even downloading the trial version of LifeFlix did not work.

How do I save the DV Tapes to my computer with the audio intact? Is there a setting or trick that I am missing?

I can provide system specs and any other information needed to help.

Thank you for any help.

Jon
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JontheScott View Post
    Hello,

It was suggested to come to this group for this problem. I recently inherited my grandfathers Canon HV20 and the many tapes of family memories with it. I have managed to get a computer set up that uses a firewire to import the video into a digital format from the camcorder. However, when I import the tapes using either iMovie or Quicktime, the audio does not seem to be imported with the video. I hear the audio through the camcorder and when I use quicktime there is indication that the audio is there but it will not show up on the finished product. Even downloading the trial version of LifeFlix did not work.

How do I save the DV Tapes to my computer with the audio intact? Is there a setting or trick that I am missing?

I can provide system specs and any other information needed to help.

Thank you for any help.

Jon
    try the first solution for quicktime - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8633781
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for pointing that quicktime fix. It does work but is there any other way to do it that does not lose the beginning of the tape?

Thank you again for the help.

Jon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found an old 'guide' re using iMovie. There is a setting that intrigued me.

https://www.mpi.nl/corpus/a4guides/a4-guide-imovie.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the guide. I am having difficulty following its directions because I think the guide is for an older version of iMovie. I cannot find some of the options that it suggests to use. Particularly with the audio export and the preferences menu in iMovie. I do not see the option to deselect "filter audio from camera" or choose PAL/NTSC for new projects.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JontheScott View Post
    Thank you for the guide. I am having difficulty following its directions because I think the guide is for an older version of iMovie. I cannot find some of the options that it suggests to use. Particularly with the audio export and the preferences menu in iMovie. I do not see the option to deselect "filter audio from camera" or choose PAL/NTSC for new projects.
    start the tape first then the audio should come through - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3mBgChVyI
    Quote Quote