VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to burn captions created with Aegisub onto my video file, preserving all of the formatting created on Aegisub. I've tried the route of converting it with VLC, which didn't work. I've also attempted bringing the .ass file to MKVToolNix, which creates an .mkv file that preserves everything beautifully, but when I try to burn it onto the video with Handbrake, the formatting is thwarted (placement not right, font elongated). I have also tried to convert the mkv file through VLC and CloudConvert, but both botch the formatting.

I do need this video in a file format that I can, for example, post on social media. Anything to be done here, or should I*give up and try adding text via a video editor? I cannot believe that this is so difficult –*I'm working on a 2015 Macbook Pro, OS*Catalina.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This can be done with clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Sorry, for Windows only
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you can do it with AVIDemux, although I'm not sure how complete its support for ASS formatting and effects is. QtlMovie also popped up when I ran a quick search for AVIDemux in the software section, but I haven't tried it, so I can't testify to how well it works or how well it supports ASS subtitles.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lempea View Post
    I'm trying to burn captions created with Aegisub onto my video file, preserving all of the formatting created on Aegisub. I've tried the route of converting it with VLC, which didn't work. I've also attempted bringing the .ass file to MKVToolNix, which creates an .mkv file that preserves everything beautifully, but when I try to burn it onto the video with Handbrake, the formatting is thwarted (placement not right, font elongated). I have also tried to convert the mkv file through VLC and CloudConvert, but both botch the formatting.

I do need this video in a file format that I can, for example, post on social media. Anything to be done here, or should I*give up and try adding text via a video editor? I cannot believe that this is so difficult –*I'm working on a 2015 Macbook Pro, OS*Catalina.
    try this for Aegisub positions - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392472-Aegisub-hardsubbing-with-subtitles-in-adjusted-positions
    Last edited by october262; 9th Jun 2021 at 03:58.
    Quote Quote