VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the new Sony DRU550 Sony DVD-/+ R/RW Recorder on my PC. I also have a TIVO 1. I would like to know how to transfer my recorded show to DVD, so I can later play it back on my DVD. Is this possible? And if so, is there a relatively easy way to do this? Here's my guess about how you do this:

1) Record show in Highst Quality.
    2) Choose the 'Save to VCR' option, but instead run it through your video capture card on your PC.
    3) Once on your hard drive, use the DVD recording software to record the file to DVD-R.

Is this correct, or are there other "geeky" hacks required to make this all work?

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  2. go to techtv's website and do a seach for hacking the tivo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by planetp
    I have the new Sony DRU550 Sony DVD-/+ R/RW Recorder on my PC. I also have a TIVO 1. I would like to know how to transfer my recorded show to DVD, so I can later play it back on my DVD. Is this possible? And if so, is there a relatively easy way to do this? Here's my guess about how you do this:

1) Record show in Highst Quality.
    2) Choose the 'Save to VCR' option, but instead run it through your video capture card on your PC.
    3) Once on your hard drive, use the DVD recording software to record the file to DVD-R.

Is this correct, or are there other "geeky" hacks required to make this all work?

Paul
    You have it pretty much right. In step #2 you don't need to select Save to VCR as that will only start the program and start the VCR. Instead of doing that in step #2, just start recoding to your capture card and start playing the program (you can trim off the extra at the beginning and end of the program with most authoring/recording SW)

I have done this a few times and quality should be better than converting from VHS. Best option is the combo Cable/Satellite & Digital Video Recorder option (like the DirectTiVo, or UTV from Direct TV; Or 501/721/DP from Dish Network or some cable company options). Because when the signal goes from Cable Box/Sat Reciever to Stand Alone TiVo, it loses some quality. The Combo boxes like UTV or DTiVo keep the quality almost perfect and the only loss is when you record from a TiVo type unit to the PC.

See the difference
    Cable/Sat Box---1-----> TiVo ----2------> PC (loss of PQ at two points of transfer)

Combo Sat/Cable/TiVo---1---->PC (Loss of Quality at only one point of transfer)

But even with just a Stand Alone TiVo using Best Quality, your output should be really good anyway. Make sure use S-Video whenever you can.

The only other issue is some SW and Capture hardware is not as good as others, so inferior HW/SW on the PC can hurt the process.
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I do this at home with Instant DVD, capturing from my ReplayTV...Just like you said, using the "export to VCR" function, it exports via S-Video to my Instant DVD, then I capture in real time to MPEG-2 and I'm ready to author and burn...

nothing else is required...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why "Export to VCR", just play the recorded program, it will appear thru the S-Video anyway. Only benefit of Export to VCR is if it auto starts the VCR and records for you. That definately won't work for a PC recording the signal.

Play recorded program &start PC record = no different than "Export to Video" & start PC Record.
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Agreed...
    Quote Quote  
  7. the reason you would use the record to vcr function beyond the fact that it will also try and start the VCR is that it will not show any of the on screen prompt either.

Not a big deal, but another thing to think about.
    Quote Quote  
  8. gcutler

Your reply intrigued me. I have not yet started to try to capture from my Satellite.

I have a Direct TV Ultimate TV system. There may be a BUT here: I purchased it when it first came out. So, don't know if it will support what you are talking about. I see no info in the manuals about playing to something else.

So, how do you capture from it? S-Video, I presume, through a capture card. But, what about the Dolby sound? How do you capture all channels of that?

By the way, the capture card I have is a Dazzle Hollywood bridge. May not meet my needs...???
    Thanks
    Roger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ewingr
    gcutler

Your reply intrigued me. I have not yet started to try to capture from my Satellite.

I have a Direct TV Ultimate TV system. There may be a BUT here: I purchased it when it first came out. So, don't know if it will support what you are talking about. I see no info in the manuals about playing to something else.

So, how do you capture from it? S-Video, I presume, through a capture card. But, what about the Dolby sound? How do you capture all channels of that?

By the way, the capture card I have is a Dazzle Hollywood bridge. May not meet my needs...???
    I know you asked gcutler, but I have a few ideas that are not too bad.

Yes, your Dazzle card is not considered very good. The Canopus ADVC-100 is a favorite for DV conversion of analog video or tv. Most of the capture devices I have seen all have a L & R audio connector along with s-video in. So your capture the audio there.What we are talking about is capping from the tivo unit I believe. And I would expect there to be L & R audio and a video out.
    Quote Quote