VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In Windows File Explorer set to a folder type of Videos, MP4 files show characteristics of Length, Data Rate, Frame Height, Frame Width, and Frame Rate. Are these characteristics bound into an MP4 header somewhere?

I have a .TS container file that I converted into MP4. That MP4 output file plays perfectly in VLC, and it shows appropriate characteristics in MediaInfo. But the above attributes do NOT show up in Windows File Explorer. I normally associate the failure to show those attributes in File Explorer as evidence of file corruption, but this is a new case for me. Why is this file playing correctly but not showing its attributes to the file manager?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can right click the file in Windows Explorer/properties/details
    and you can see the editable sections "Description", "origin", "media", etc.
    These sections are optional and become a part of the metadata if they exist.

If you enter something into one of the fields and hit "OK", Windows will modify the file
    to add this new info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You can right click the file in Windows Explorer/properties/details
    and you can see the editable sections "Description", "origin", "media", etc.
    These sections are optional and become a part of the metadata if they exist.

If you enter something into one of the fields and hit "OK", Windows will modify the file
    to add this new info.
    It looks like the fields I called out cannot be edited from Windows File Explorer, at least in Windows 8. Is there a utility that will let me edit those?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video and audio sections are not editable, they relate to the physical aspects of the file and are stored in
    one of the main sections, probably the moov atom.
    You could try remuxing your file to see if is repaired
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If there are any MP4 files providing such attributes, just not yours, your multiplexing method may be somewhat incomplete. There are accurate multiplexers which can also move statistics and indexes in front of the played content to speed up their accessing and support streaming playback. Older ffmpeg versions were known to be unable to gather all required data in the first multiplexing pass. Newer versions support MP4 better. An alternative would be to re-multiplex the file with MP4Box (possibly in a supporting UI like YAMB or MeGUI).

But if no MP4 files are supported, then your Windows installation may miss DirectShow filters, e.g. a source filter that supports the MP4 container, like LAV Filters; or even a more powerful combination of thumbnailer and metadata provider, like the Icaros Thumbnail Provider.

VLC can play them, of course, because it does not use DirectShow filters, in contrast to Windows.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 24th Jun 2019 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote