VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a rare movie, somewhat niche. It's called Shock from 1977 (known in the US as "Beyond the Door II") and was Mario Bava's final film before he passed away. It never got a Blu-Ray release, and I bought the Blue Underground DVD release via Amazon. I use SVP4 Pro and MadVR to watch it, and I have a very good upscale setting with MadVR which makes it look almost as good as if it was on a Blu-Ray (which this movie was never released on). Is there any program I can use to re-encode my lossless MakeMKV format-shift of my DVD to 1080p (source is 480i), using madVR and the settings I already have set at the source frame rate at with a 30,000 bitrate, so down the track I can buy a blank Blu-Ray disc and burn it as an actual Blu-Ray (sort of an unofficial blu-ray release), for myself and also when visiting friends and can put it into their blu-ray player we can watch it as it looks on my PC when rendered in real-time in MPH-CH upscaled to 1080p via my MadVR settings, minus the frame interpolation (unless I can make a second blu-ray after running that through SVPCode to make a 60FPS blu-ray, to take full advantage of a 60Hz HDTV and burn it on a BD50 disc). I figured I legally purchased the DVD and as I live in Australia and have a physical disability I fit in a loophole that allows me to legally copy my own movies as long as I keep the original disc (found this out from official legal advice).

So is there any video encoding program that allows upscaling (Handbrake doesn't allow upsampling and Format Factory looks blurry when upsampled), that allows me to use MadVR and my current settings as part of the upsampling and the ability to do it at the same bitrate as a blu-ray? I have a ton of HDD space and a Ryzen 9 3900x + GTX1080 to handle the heavy load, preferably a free program as I am broke after my last PC hardware upgrade, then I can get a BD25 blank disk for the 23FPS version and run the final copy through SVPCode to make a 60FPS version to go on a BD50 as it will have a 60000bitrate. to not lose quality, due to more frames in the movie. The Audio track is Sterea (Dolby Digital I think, so I'll prefer to keep that the same, without any audio compression.

Please assist. I'd love to make an unofficial blu-ray of this DVD (without distributing it of course as that would be piracy), for my own personal use.

Here's my Pastebin link for the Mediainfo of the actual DVD (To prove I own the DVD and don't want to convert an illegally acquired pirated video):
    https://pastebin.com/cLg6D3PB

And here's the Mediainfo of the MakeMKV format shift I made from my DVD:
    https://pastebin.com/axXBmJzw
    Last edited by Hoover1979; 11th Mar 2020 at 22:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most Blu ray players upscale inserted DVDs to 1080p, however some brands and models do a better job than others. Have you tried playing your DVD in the Blu ray player. Basically however the old expression "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!" still applies. You can't create resolution detail that is not there in the original and generally hardware upscaling as found in Blu ray players does a better job than software other than what is found in professional studios with multiple computers processing the video.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PC is my home theatre so I don't have a blu-ray player to test. I format shift all the DVD's and Blu-Rays I buy to my massive amount of HDD storage and I want to upscale with MADVR settings so MPC-HC+SVP4 Pro can just work on frame interpolation without having to resize and apply MadVR's intensive upscaling settings.
    Quote Quote