VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know where to post this or what it is even called but I have a problem with subtitles showing up in the subtitle dropdown menu in VLC. I want them to show up as English but I get other things like Track 1, etc. I use subtitle edit 3.6.0 but can't find a solution... Thanks for any help, -jmfsms
    Quote Quote  
  2. You havn't set a language for the subtitle track and it is set to "und" (Undetermined). I take it you're using a .mkv file so you could use MKVToolnix gui or mkvpropedit to set the subtitle language.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If using subtitles as separate files (SRT, ASS...), you can get the language displayed by using a standard naming convention :
    “Name of the movie.en.srt” => should be displayed as “English” (or local translation)
    “Name of the movie.fr.srt” => should be displayed as “French” (or local translation)
    And so on. (When I looked into this issue some months ago I couldn't find a thorough list of all country codes, and gave up once I had found the info I needed — if someone could post a link to such a list that would be useful.)
    I read that, in case there are multiple subtitles with the same language, a numbered suffix like “.en1” / “.en2” / “.en3” would work, but upon quick testing, it doesn't work with VLC Media Player 3.0.16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for all the help, I thought it would be a simple line I could open with a text editor or something... I use ffmpeg and subtitle edit but I will play with your suggestions and come back with questions... Thanks again with the help, jmfsms
    Quote Quote