VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Just came across a video source with EN subs in an SRT file (which is fine), but they are getting blocked out or overshadowed by hardcoded FR subs. Had to give up trying to watch after about 5 minutes. There's not much I can do to fix that, right ? Short of printing out the SRT and trying to follow along, reading that as I watch the film ?

Or maybe there is something I could do with AVStoDVD, like making those EN subs appear in blue, yellow, or red lettering, so that it stood out ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're watching it via media playing software you should be able to increase the size of the subs. I've done this and it worked fine. I set the subs color to a pale yellow for readability anyway, though it doesn't seem to work with sub/idx subs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or set the subtitle renderer to produce a black box behind the subs. Or convert the subs to SSA format and specify a black box behind the subs.

VLC with background opacity set to 255:
    [Attachment 60815 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thus far, I only tried to play the files back via the USB port on my Oppo BR player. There are other options. I don't think there is any appreciable subs adjustability through the WD Live TV's native playback, but I have VLC on the Nvidia Shield, and a couple other paths I could follow. AVStoDVD processing on the computer -- if it has ways of handling this particular situation -- could offer a more generalized solution -- one that would allow for playback on multiple devices. (I'd rather not have to watch it on the computer.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The attached zip contains an ssa file with the background set to black. BackColor is the color, BorderStyle 3 is an opaque box. Most players outside a computer don't play SSA subs but it's worth a try. If it works you can use any of the usual subtitle editors to convert your SRT to SSA.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The attached zip contains an ssa file with the background set to black. BackColor is the color, BorderStyle 3 is an opaque box. Most players outside a computer don't play SSA subs but it's worth a try. If it works you can use any of the usual subtitle editors to convert your SRT to SSA.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If SSA or ASS playback turns out troublesome, another thing you can do is convert SSA/ASS to image-based SUP (like used on bluray). Most HW players will accept that.
    Quote Quote