VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. I have the same problem when use DoubleWeave.SelectOdd().

The problem is resolved when i delete that line so the code is

Code:
    ConvertToYuY2(interlaced=true)
    SeparateFields()
    odd=SelectOdd.Convolution3D (1, 32, 128, 16, 64, 10, 0)
    evn=SelectEven.Convolution3D (1, 32, 128, 16, 64, 10, 0)
    Interleave(evn,odd)
    Weave()
    @Wile_E

Do you insert in code ConvertToYuY2(interlaced=true)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since some people are getting confused by the doubleweave stuff I have another suggestion.

http://www.avisynth.org/stickboy/

Go to this website and download the file called jdl-util.avsi as well as the file called jdl-interlace.avsi

Copy both of these into your AviSynth plug-ins directory.

Now your script looks like this:

Code:
    LoadPlugin("Convolution3d.dll")
    avisource("D:\CAPTURE\capture.avi")
    Trim(1103,1363)
    crop(4,4,-4,-12)
    JDL_UnfoldFieldsVertical(true)
    Convolution3D (0, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    JDL_FoldFieldsVertical(true)
    AddBorders(8,8,8,8)
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    The last line is for CCE ... if using TMPGEnc Plus you would change the last line to ConvertToRGB24(interlaced=true)

You would of course change the Convolution3D setting to whatever you want. Above I am using
    Convolution3D (0, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0) which is the same as using Convolution3d (preset="movieLQ") ... see the Convolution3D text file for more on setting the Convolution3D settings.

The JDL_UnfoldFieldsVertical(true) and JDL_FoldFieldsVertical(true) is usefull for applying spatial-temporal filters to interlaced video. This applies of course to many "video noise" filters such as Convolution3D.

For more information on this and the argument for the "old fashioned" way and using or not using Doubleweave please see the following doom9 forume thread ---> CLICK HERE

I hope this helps "clear" things up a bit

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am not trying with jdl-util.avsi and jdl-interlace.avsi but i will try

But i have one question.

When i put this code everything is allright
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("Convolution3d.dll")
    avisource("D:\CAPTURE\capture.avi")
    ConvertToYuY2(interlaced=true)
    SeparateFields()
    odd=SelectOdd.Convolution3D (1, 32, 128, 16, 64, 10, 0)
    evn=SelectEven.Convolution3D (1, 32, 128, 16, 64, 10, 0)
    Interleave(evn,odd)
    Weave()
    but when i this line 3 ConvertToYuY2(interlaced=true) put as line 8(at the end script) i get warning message in CCE "Frame size 796x56 is not supported. Supported frame size is up to 720x576.

Why is this happends when i put ConvertToYuY2(interlaced=true) at the end?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    For more information on this and the argument for the "old fashioned" way and using or not using Doubleweave please see the following doom9 forume thread ---> CLICK HERE

I hope this helps "clear" things up a bit

Thanks, that made it clear. So that Doubleweave is only needed for older versions of CCE or encoders that only support TFF. I have CCE Basic 2.70 which supports BFF, so I don't need that line.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I found a parametar which seems to be something between Movie Low Quality and VHS capture Bad Quality.

So, test this parametars: (1, 32, 128, 8, 32, 10, 0) I think that this parametars is liitle sharpen than vhsBQ parametars. Its maybe 1-2 fps faster. I just change t_ythresh, and t_cthresh settings to lower value.

best regard
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. (Script #1) VHS > DV Camera Passthrough > PC (Panasonic DV Codec). [The full avi load command is cropped off in 1,2 & 3 scripts. full command was:
    AviSource("H:\VHS_CAP\PINOCCHIO.avi",audio = false).Trim(0,157292).ConverttoYUY2
    ] Note that the captured AVI is field-based video (not separated) w/bottom field first.

2. (Script #2) Used John's original script first posted in this thread, https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=949143&sid=fdc2cb608b36f75fd8a29ad108212e66#949143 , except no cropping. The resultant filtered AVI is listed as field-based video (not separated) w/top field first.

3. (Script #3) By swapping changing Interleave(evn,odd).weave() to Interleave(odd,env).weave() the resultant AVI is listed as field-based video (not separated) w/bottom field first as expected from the original script.

What am I missing here? Why doesn't script 2 give me BFF?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV AVI is BOTTOM FIELD FIRST but the MPEG-2 DVD format can be either TOP FIELD FIRST or BOTTOM FIELD FIRST.

These days I mostly use a stand alone DVD recorder but when I did use computer based capturing I mostly used the PICVideo MJPEG codec which, like the popular HUFFY UV codec, is TOP FIELD FIRST.

I have to admit that my real world use of DV AVI has been ZERO as I have no digital cam and although I thought about buying a Canopus ADVC-100/110 (or the DataVideo DAC-100) I have to admit that I never did buy one.

In short my experiences with DV AVI are very limited. Just some "testing" but I have to create my DV AVI from other sources so I don't even like to test it these days.

So use whatever script "arrangement" other people say works with BOTTOM FIELD FIRST DV AVI footage. Those who have commented know better than me since I barely use DV AVI format.

The point is the script works for interlaced footage ... you have to handle interlaced footage special when applying a "video noise" filter ... also when doing any cropping etc.

The point of the guide was to get people to use AviSynth for simple editing and to get people using Convolution3D since it is one of the better "video noise" filters.

I do apologize for all the confusion over the (slight) difference between using interlaced TOP FIELD FIRST video VS. interlaced BOTTOM FIELD FIRST video.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I do apologize for all the confusion over the (slight) difference between using interlaced TOP FIELD FIRST video VS. interlaced BOTTOM FIELD FIRST video.

No apology needed. Great guide. I've seen the techinque you documented in the first post of this thread in other scripts over at doom9.org. In fact, there's a thread there talking about noise reduction that directly references this guide. I found that today and discovered that your post over two years ago is a source for several other AVS scripts people have posted about, including mine ... http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=867951#post867951

I'm really trying to learn more about using AVISynth, especially for temporal and spatial noise filtering of VHS & TV captures. I'm also trying to learn more about how to properly handle interlace sources and wanted to understand if I was missing something. The advice I got over at doom9 was to use the FILTER_1 script and leave out, Doubleweave.SelectOdd() . This produce a BFF output video.

Thanks again for a great guide. And by the way, your technique really cleans up VHS captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is another "utility" I found out about on the doom9 website that I have used and I must say I am happy with the results (very much so).

It is called jdl-util.avsi and jdl-interlace.avsi

Here is a link ---> http://www.avisynth.org/stickboy/

Basically you download these files and put them in your AviSynth Plug-In DIR so you can use the function(s) in your AviSynth script.

For instance if you want to apply a temporal-spatial video noise filter this is what you would do in your script (assuming an interlaced source):

UnFoldFieldsVertical(true)
    Convolution3D (0, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    FoldFieldsVertical(true)

Basically the first line separates the frame into fields ... the second line applies the Convolution3D noise filter ... the 3rd and final line turns the fields back into a frame.

BTW the (true) means you have TOP FIELD FIRST video. If you have BOTTOM FIELD FIRST video then you would instead use (false)

You do not need to load the plug-in as long as you have it in your AviSynth Plug-In directory.

In a way this makes things a bit easier. According to the author he created this (at least the function I am referring to) specifically for applying temporal-spatial video noise filters such as Convolution3D which is only one such filter of many.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives thank you for the guide, but I have a doubt.
    I want to make PAL DV interlaced bottom field first (Sony miniDV camcorder) to PAL DVD conversion and follow doom9 DVtoDVD guide and your guide.

I use Premiere Pro 1.5, AviSynth 2.5 and CCE 2.70 and your guide helped me to use the convolution3d plugin.
    My question is why use the "ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)" at the end of avs script for CCE if the input avi file if is already YUY2?
    I suppose that input avi file is YUY2 because the convolution3d plugin is the YUY2 version, so it only works with YUY2.

So I want to decide which script to use

SCRIPT1:
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("Convolution3D.dll")
    AviSource("input_DV_Avi-type-2.avi")
    SeparateFields()
    odd=SelectOdd.Convolution3D(1, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    evn=SelectEven.Convolution3D(1, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    Interleave(evn,odd)
    Weave()
    DoubleWeave.SelectOdd()
    SCRIPT2
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("Convolution3D.dll")
    SeparateFields()
    odd=SelectOdd.Convolution3D(1, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    evn=SelectEven.Convolution3D(1, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    Interleave(evn,odd)
    Weave()
    DoubleWeave.SelectOdd()
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    Can anybody help me?
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  11. I suppose that input avi file is YUY2 because the convolution3d plugin is the YUY2 version

Add:

Info()

at the bottom of the script to be sure (and without the colorspace conversion line).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Add:

Info()

at the bottom of the script to be sure (and without the colorspace conversion line).
    Thanks manono.

The text says that the colorspace is YUY2, so can I remove the ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) line?
    Has that line another purpose?

Another question that is not important at this moment but I am interested. With this script
    Code:
    Info()
    My video is interlaced but it says FieldBased (separated) Video: NO
    Bye
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi-

I'm no expert on this colorspace stuff, but to be safe, I would add ConvertToYUY2(Interlaced=True). My reasoning is that if you don't do it, CCE is going to assume it's progressive (if it were, I don't think you'd need to add the line again), and interlace is handled differently than is progressive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the 2nd question, AVIs are always frame based. You only encounter field based encoding when it's MPEG encoding. There you can encode either as separate fields, or as full frames. If field based, there will be flags in the stream telling how to reassemble the fields into frames.
    In interlaced sequences, the encoder can either keep the fields separate, or combine them together into one frame, whichever is best for compression purposes. There is a flag on each image stored in the MPEG-2 stream called “picture_structure” that can be either “frame” for a full 720x480 pixel frame, or “top field” or “bottom field” for a single 720x240 field. (We’ll learn about top and bottom fields later.) And it is allowed, but again not required, to set a flag called “progressive_frame” as a hint to the decoder that the fields in that frame were taken from the same frame of film. This allows for better pause and slow motion modes, and better down-conversion of 16x9 images for 4x3 displays. But this is again, purely optional. The content will play fine whether the data is structured as fields or frames, and whether the flag is present or not.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

About a third of the way down in the How Progressive Players Work How The Information is Stored on Disc section.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Hi-

I'm no expert on this colorspace stuff, but to be safe, I would add ConvertToYUY2(Interlaced=True). My reasoning is that if you don't do it, CCE is going to assume it's progressive (if it were, I don't think you'd need to add the line again), and interlace is handled differently than is progressive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thank you again.
    I was forgeting that the parameter interlaced=true could be important too.
    I suppose that the only objection of adding the ConvertToYUY2(Interlaced=True) line is the performance and quality problems won't appear in case of reconversion from YUY2 to YUY2, so I am going to add it to the script.

Thanks. Bye
    Quote Quote  
  15. I am just not sure what this Convolution3d is ? what it does ? Is this a crucial thing to do for quality DVDs ? why oh why ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holeepassion
    I am just not sure what this Convolution3d is ? what it does ? Is this a crucial thing to do for quality DVDs ? why oh why ?
    Convolution3D is a video noise filter. It attempts to remove "video noise" in a video signal. Often times it is not needed with a high quality source. It is more useful with analog video captures than say a studio made DVD Video.

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know it's an old thread but did the job for me after alot of frustration on tons of tests
    was a copy of an hi8 cam sent to a panasonic dvd recorder
    changed Interleave(evn,odd) to Interleave(odd,evn) and simple convertToTGB from a scipt made within MEgui
    undot it and Voila !

learned a lot from you guys and still learning

Happy hollidays
    Quote Quote