VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, my head can not fit so many acronyms, but what I would like to know, is how I can ones and for all, set PotPlayer to stream multichannel audio to AV receiver with out me taking the time to get a PhD in dark and mysterious majic of codecs.

After all the spdfers lav ffdshow ac3filters halils madshis and god knows what else, i give up. I literally seen a system control panel for a nuclear reactor water cooling pump system which is more logical and understandable then this, uhm, thing.

Is there a selection button that says "Optical AV receiver audio output" somewhere in the preference?

I had it set up once, somehow, mkv files with DD AC3 and DTS did work, but never MP4 with AAC (?). I've just foolishly updated to latest Potplayer version, and now nothing works.

That's why I usually never update anything, becasue it's a statistical 100% guarantee that nothing works after updates, so I call them "breakdates".

Since nothing works again I figured hey, why not, maybe there is logical explanation to how this stuff works and it can be set up to actually work with out dancing around with a drum around it while chanting prayers to the ancestors.

Just saying, I'm not a completely ignorant dude, but to me this set up is more complicated than a 15 year marriage, so some help here would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this: Right click on Pot Player's window. Click "Audio", then click "Audio Renderer" then select the audio device for S/PDIF. In my case that is "Realtek Digital Audio".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-21_2-10-42.jpg
Views:	25743
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	28687Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-21_2-13-42.jpg
Views:	25073
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	28688

It is not that hard.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks sheppaul!

That did it. Is there a data flow chart of how PotPlayer processes the stream, including codecs and how settings effect the decoding?

Call me old school, but unless I can picture it in my head I don't really get it
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's not different from general codec setup process.

Order of priority for spdif setup.

1. SPDIF settings in the second screenshot. For example, eac3/truehd/dts-hd will be re-encoded into ac3 as the spdif settings are disabled.
    2. While doing re-encoding into ac3, channel (speakers) setting will be used. If you want to upmix stereo (like mp3) into 5.1 ch, set speakers to 5.1 ch and disable #4 option in the first screenshot above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This does not work for me. SPDIF out works in all the other software I use, as does stereo out on PotPlayer, so I'm sure it's a setting issue in PP. What settings or configuration might I post here to get a little help? Many thanks!
    Rock n' roll, baby
    www.themindbloom.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just now installed the latest PotPlayer based on this thread... I also wanted to play a video containing 5.1 channel AAC, transcode to AC3 and output over SPDIF. But, the option in step 3 of steppaul's instructions (set Output to SPDIF after AC3 re-encoding) isn't there in the drop-down menu - it only offers PCM and LPCM.

The reason I was searching for a way to do this is because MPC-HC used to do it but no longer does. I then tried MPC-BE, which can do it, but playback isn't smooth - it's an HEVC 1080P 10bit file being played on an old HTPC. So, that's why I went looking for a software player that's being actively developed and could transcode the audio with smooth playback. The playback is smooth BUT the option shown above for AC3 re-encoding isn't there. Did they drop it like MPC-HC previously did or does anyone have any suggestions to get this working? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have latest Potplayer version and the option is there. Try initialize potplayer first. Step 1 in tutorial. You can get to this option also right click on potplayer screen - Audio - Output mode as in preference audio 1. PCM 2. LPCM 3. S/PDIF after AC3 encoding 4. S/PDIF after DTS encoding.
    Will do screenshot if you dont believe me
    EDIT: I suspect that XP is the problem.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 25th Oct 2017 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the reply. I did the initialize step - it made no difference. Also, that profile info showing XP is years old - this HTPC is on 8.1. The only thing I can guess at this point is I didn't choose to have it install the additional codec pack at the end of installation. I don't like installing separate codec packs onto the system as they have been problematic historically. I've always had better luck with software like MPC-HC/MPC-BE/VLC/etc. that have all necessary codecs built-in. I thought that was supposed to be the case with Potplayer as well. Anyway, do you think that's the reason I'm not seeing the re-encode option? Any other suggestions for getting this file to play that don't require installing codec packs onto the system? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    take it this way. The open codec should be part of potplayer and you dont noticed it. So I suggest you to install it. And if you reinstall the potplayer check also detect HW during installation. But I think the problem will be related a) to your hardware, b) to ffmpeg (I doubt)
    When you right click on potplayer screen, go to Audio and there is S/PDIF audio renderer. Do you have it there? If so, choose recommended or if not works switch to different depending on your sound capabilities.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some time now I am trying to find a solution with some issues I have with my media (PotPlayer) I am using.
    I have the SONY VA777ES amplifier.
    I cannot hear 5.1 sound from my system with audio codecs that are EAC3 & DTS Plus (these are usually codecs from Amazon & Netflix. Pseudo Surround multi).
    Also, I don't have a multichannel sound from AAC. (Secondary issue)
    I am using the LAV decoder which considers one of the best in the market.

Can someone give me a knowledgeable answer about what is going wrong?
    And if someone can direct to where I might find the solution? I have searched for quite some time all the major web sites and no-one explains why.
    Thank you all in advance for your time in reading my post.

D>K
    PS Please don't give me solutions that are to change the player because that is not the issue
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Try this: Right click on Pot Player's window. Click "Audio", then click "Audio Renderer" then select the audio device for S/PDIF. In my case that is "Realtek Digital Audio".
    I did what you said but the same issue!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
    Same here!
    I did what you said but the same results!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!