VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you creative at all?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you have any artistic skills? Are you a musician, painter, poet?

I don't really have any kind of talent like that. I'm sure if I applied myself to one of them I could do pretty well. But I'm not naturally inclined in any one area, thats for sure. How about you?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope - I can't sing or even draw stick figures very well.

And I'm sure if I applied myself tp one of them I could do pretty bad.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I like to think so. I've written poetry and song lyrics (although not recently). I've written a Sci-Fi novel, which my proofreader has right now. I used to play guitar and sing. I've sung and danced on stage. Written and performed in a video short (some might remember). I've tried my hand at modeling clay and painting with varying results. And I consider it a creative talent to edit raw video into a production, which I've also done.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. No Other ...could it be video?...film?...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I'd like to think so. Creating computer applications, you must have a certain creativity. I've tried to learn to play the guitar, but I think I must have much too short and slow fingers, to make justice to my creativity in that field... :-\

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Can't do music or art. But I have friends that are artists that do it so easily that I am really envious. Sane with music. But I can do other things, such as organizing, planning, and control of large and complex projects that they can't do. I suppose everyone has their particular talent.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It would seem so(!)

Sing and play guitar + write songs/compose music + perform in public
    Make underwater videos (with soundtracks - sometimes my own)
    Write software (mainly to save time with the previous one!)
    Woodwork/carpentry - built my wife a colonial style potting shed having never done any carpentry
    At work, devise out-of-the-box experiments to resolve technical issues - tend to be viewed as the boffin stuck away in a room taking in other people's data and regurgitating it in mysterious ways - "Just what does John do exactly?"
    Tendency to prove people wrong when they say "It can't be done!"

Can't paint or draw for sh@t
    Cr@p at sports - except scuba diving for which, completely out of my non-sporting character, I have become an instructor
    I have the co-ordination of a sea lion (can't catch anything but a cold) - except when I'm underwater

Oh, I can write l-o-n-g answers - as exemplified here!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Used to play guitar, and I write.

Had no talent for the guitar, really. My brother had the talent... my only "gift" was that once he figured out how to play something, he only had to show me how ONCE and then I could play it note perfect also. Lost interest after developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

I am VERY close to finishing my book. It has potential.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope I'm not creative nor can I write songs or sing. I can't draw but I can trace!
    I can just build computers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Photography (film,digital)
    Design (paper,online)
    Music (brass), but only moderate and also out of practice
    Art (ink,pencil), out of practice
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got interested in oil painting many years back watching Bob Ross The Joy of Painting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

He was a relaxing guy to watch on tv. When you thought the painting looked great and was done, he'd drop a big old leafless tree or even two right in the foreground.

With his easy to imitate style, I painted a few scenes on canvas taken strictly from imagination and enjoyed it but after we moved the stuff stayed packed.

I play guitar chords and sing a little privately. I've jotted down 6 or 7 parts of songs but never quite finished any of them. Just a pastime and never taken seriously.

Mild hobby level stuff on par with the few 18 holes of golf every year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a few things published, but no compensation was involved.

I don't mean to brag, but my IQ is well above average and my thinking has always been several years ahead of the general public.

Over the years I've invented several things, but never bothered to patent them. Later on other people came up with similar inventions and likely became rich.

I've also original ideas for books/movies. Later on other people came up with similar ideas, and the books/films earned millions of dollars.

Furthermore, my boss hates me because I'm always suggesting new and better ways to do things. In response, he generally suggests a way to do things much worse. (Reading between the lines, my boss is simply saying "STFU!") I've even encountered this same idiotic mind-set a some online forums.

I've dealt with this same scenario for as long as I can remember (50+ years). Sooner or later people catch on to my ideas, but by that time I've already moved on to bigger and better things.

So what is my next big idea? Holographics. Thanks to the people who are working on it, holographics will soon be bigger than you can possibly imagine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can be creative with film/composition. I can also be creative with how I go about repairing PC problems.
    I'm also a very diverse and imaginative thinker. That's about it for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Epicurus8a

So what is my next big idea? Holographics

Stop stealing my old ideas

btw) I forgot to mention earlier I also constantly doodle. My drawings are priceless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    used to be -- about 17 years ago...
    painted, sculpted, and drew prolifically.
    Won several awards in various local and state art shows. Even made some nice $$$ out of it.
    Then I graduated from high school and went out into the "real world".
    Haven't done anything even moderately artistic since...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can sing, Draw But in College I won several honors & awards in eating Pizza & drinking Beer til I vomit.................
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I helped put myself through college and grad school singing in various bands. I have been published in books of short-stories. I made a living for years as a newspaper reporter.

I should have had the balls to move to California in 1981 and try my hand in a professional band. I didn't. I was afraid of starvation.

Grammer, punctuation and all the technical aspects of writing - and the language in general - just always kind of "made sense" to me. I'm the guy who screwed up the curve for the class in advanced grammar.

I hardly ever write anymore, but if I need to, I can.

I have to agree with redwudz. I believe everybody has a talent for something. Some of the dumbest SOBs I ever known were good at something - some were even real good at things.

Those of us who are lucky figure out how to make a living at our passion.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    Furthermore, my boss hates me because I'm always suggesting new and better ways to do things. In response, he generally suggests a way to do things much worse. (Reading between the lines, my boss is simply saying "STFU!") I've even encountered this same idiotic mind-set a some online forums.
    Oh, how terribly true. It drives me up the wall. I get so frustrated especially when, a few years later, something happens, the sh*t hits the fan and they jump up and down screaming "why didn't we do this, that and the other"? Well, if you'd listened way back when to my ideas, the problem would have been avoided.

What's the simple human behavior behind all of this: Your boss knows that your ideas are good. Your boss knows that if those ideas are acted upon, then your boss won't have a job anymore since you are effectively doing it for him/her. Upper management nearing retirement just want to coast along. Large corporations are tediously slow at producing anything because upper management are determined to find ways to ensure their jobs aren't on the line. "Let's ignore so-and-so's idea so that, in a year or two, we end up in a huge pickle - then I can save the world with my expert management skills."

For the record, I am a manager, too. But, thankfully, not that type. This also means I won't ascend to those dizzy heights. And, for me, that's a good thing. I prefer to look after my team than suck up to my managers.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've sold some short stories and novellas. Mysteries, I love mysteries!

Musically, I've dabbled on the acoustic guitar and can do a very bad cover of "Gloria." It helps that it's only three chords.

I like to think I'm creative mechanically -- I really enjoy building things, and I'm quite good at troubleshooting mechanical problems in cars. I own a small stack of old Saabs and IHC Travelalls, and keep 'em running mostly pretty good. With older cars you gots to get pretty creative sometimes in figuring out what kind of part will substitute for the one that's no longer available.

EDIT: Oh, and I won a hundred bucks in a short video contest a couple of years ago!!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. I directed my kid's projects in video. She and her classmates were in "Fruity Energy" and "Doctor Strep Throat and Miss Pharyngitis".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Photography & programming (at least I use to be)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This does not yet qualify as a talent.

I wasn't going to say this but I've often thought of writing a novel or at least a long short story (like now ) .

I have an idea for an action, adventure story with a strong underlying element of science and science fiction. Not really a shoot em up space movie but rather a modern day novel with action, adventure and discovery that ultimately changes commonly held beliefs about mankind. In the development of the story line there are natural opportunities for change of locale, the introduction of new characters and discoveries which lend to the intrigue and allows for easy expansion of the plot line. Depending on how the story is developed and how quickly certain details are revealed to the reader this could easily spawn a sequel, a trilogy or a series.

Early in 2006, I jotted down a very general idea of what the story was about. Just a few sentences, not a true beginning or end but just a theme. I then started to write notes about 3 main characters such as their relationship to each other, background information, physical attributes, interests, and personality traits just to start fleshing out who they are. As I started to think of how the storyline might unfold, the opportunity quickly presented itself to introduce two new personages that would add substance and interplay with the main characters of the story and briefly touched on a third new person potentially an early villain. Although probably not the main villain.

Although eager I didn't know how to get it started so it just sat there. A couple of months later looking at my notes, it occured to me to start telling the story part way through and use flashback mode to set some of the plotline without giving too much away and at the same time introducing the main characters. So over the next 2 or 3 evenings, I wrote about 1700 words but the period covered will eventually require 5 to 10 times that much to deal with all the things that happen. This period introduces multiple characters, covers at least 5 locations, a major storm, a crash, 2 separate explosions, fights, a major discovery, an important loss and a major secret. Yet little is given away as to it's meaning up to this point.

The story starts slowly already 6 months into the lead character's timeline as he is seen sitting in a darkened room clutching something important but as yet undescribed. He is obviously distressed while reliving the events of the past few months. Through his recollection of events other characters are introduced at this point but there is no indication as to whether they are still living or have been killed during this difficult period being revisited through his mind. There are subtle indications that something may have happened to someone close but whether that's true or not won't be revealed until the plot returns to the main character's modern day.

It's been almost another year and a half and there it sits. I need a kick in the bvtt to get me going.

The most difficult part of writing to me is accuracy. Many of the places and things I wish to write about require a lot of research and that is the problem. I don't want to say a plane landed in this place if there is no airport or that a 747 landed here if there is only a small airport. When dealing with science or industry, many technical details require accuracy to be believable. What makes a story real is also what makes it so difficult to write without extensive research.

If there was a realistic expectation that such a novel would ever get published it might encourage me to carry on but there must be thousands of such manuscripts sitting in basements that will never see printer's ink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See how writing can be a full-time job?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd say im creative but not under the options posted. im a design engineer with two patents in the automotive world. i design things everyday and then create them. very rewarding to see something youve created in thousands of `cars around the world.

Voted yes other
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think one key element is missing in this poll... it should add an age range lol. I think a lot more people are more creative in music, art, etc. at a younger age. Once they select their creative field they can retain their creativeness in that field through out their life. A few are just creative in general from start to finish, I would say I have a pretty creative imagination that helps me problem solve. A creative imagination trumps all :P with a little bit of hard work, you can always work on music, art, anything else with a little twist of your imagination you can be creative in those areas.

On a side note, what's the difference with "Nope - I can't draw or sing" and "No - Other" isn't both saying the same thing? lol
    Quote Quote