VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have to rewind after fast forwarding to prevent the VCR from eating the tape. Is it the idler wheel or the mode switch that is causing the problem?

Attached is a video of the VCR fast forwarding a tape. You can tell one side of the tape keeps spinning after fast forward has stopped.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's a braking issue,check to see if the brake is applied after you stop ff,sounds like the mode switch since the idler only controls the rw/ff.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Welp cleaning the mode switch didn't work. Maybe it needs more cleaning? I attached a pic of the insides. Wish there is a transparent VHS clam shell for sale so I can see the mechanisms at work.

Edit: Looks like the braking pad has worn out. I'm trying to use a heavy duty foam tape as a replacement.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1327.JPG
Views:	951
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	41488  

Last edited by digicube; 3rd May 2017 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Check the tension band on the supply spindle. If it is worn, dirty, or loose, the spindle coasts to a stop and spills tape. On some VCRs, there is a separate brake that you should check as well.
    Last edited by JVRaines; 3rd May 2017 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are only 2 belts and they look and feel fine. What I did that partially fix the problem is stick a foam tape on the supply reel brake pad. It doesn't stop immediately but does it in about a second, fast enough it doesn't eat tapes. I'm gonna get sandpaper and stick it there for more friction.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	41489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	41490  

Last edited by digicube; 3rd May 2017 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Welp looks like I broke my VCR. When I put everything back together and test playback, nothing appears on screen. This happens on all tapes. However when I turn on TBC/DNR, I can hear sound from the tape but black screen. When I fast forward or rewind during playback, it's black screen and one channel sound playing. I can access the menus and see the initial blue screen. I installed the mode switch correctly with the arrows aligned together.

Edit: The video drum cable was unplugged, so it's fixed now.
    Last edited by digicube; 3rd May 2017 at 18:28.
    Quote Quote