VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    1gbps would be a miracle for wireless i think it may be referring to the wired portion of the router, they are usually 10/100/1000. wireless "n" is either 150/300/450 at the extreme end. i think your unit is also capable of 2 different bands the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz band. you may want to check the wireless receivers to make sure you match the band being used so they are all on the same.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. You mentioned other units being powered off for testing, this is NOT sufficient. DISCONNECT THE CABLE.

Something, somewhere is reducing your speed. Careful elimination and testing will determine exactly what it is. Me, I would start with what should give the best speed, a LAN cable, with only two units connected. This removes ALL wireless issues, which can be many. Shut down all antivirus progs, If you happen to be using a Norton product, I would uninstall it. Cycle thru various PC's, again having ONLY two connected. To Repeat, Powered Off is NOT GOOD ENOUGH, disconnect the cable.

Don't forget to test different cables, if all from the same source get another pair.

When testing, make sure the PC has been booted and running for several minutes or enough time for ALL startup processes and possible software updates to be finished. Check running tasks.

Your router is probably connected to a modem of some sort. This is NOT NEEDED to test network speed. DISCONNECT. Extend this philosophy to the maximum possible extent. Webcam, printer, anything else connected? Guess what we're gonna do?

Any other wireless devices? Turn off wireless in the router.

Those devices you disconnected? Are the cables still plugged into the router? Guess what we're gonna do? (Really? Don't think so? Got any flourescent lights?)

ISOLATE and IDENTIFY. Say it with me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OKAY, to isolate the issue... I setup a smart gigabit switch and only connected the laptop and gaming PC... both have gigabit Ethernet ports... and the transfer rate is at 50 MB/s.... I am unsure what the transfer rate SHOULD be but I still think this slow, am I correct? Also... here are the wireless settings on my router... Although I still think its windows related...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	advanced wireless settings.PNG
Views:	254
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	7793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wireless settings.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	7794  

Quote Quote  
  4. Here is another..

Name:	basic settings.PNG
Views:	174
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	7795  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OKAY, to isolate the issue... I setup a smart gigabit switch and only connected the laptop and gaming PC... both have gigabit Ethernet ports... and the transfer rate is at 50 MB/s.... I am unsure what the transfer rate SHOULD be but I still think this slow, am I correct? Also... here are the wireless settings on my router... Although I still think its windows related...
    you still don't get the difference between MB and mb do you. 50MB/s is 400mb/s which is really fast. unless of course you wrote the wrong abbreviation.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, I don't quite get the difference... is it referencing megabyte vs megabit? a bit is smaller than a byte... I understand that.... So my wired connection is not having a problem I take it then?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by midrigs24 View Post
    OKAY, to isolate the issue... I setup a smart gigabit switch and only connected the laptop and gaming PC... both have gigabit Ethernet ports... and the transfer rate is at 50 MB/s.... I am unsure what the transfer rate SHOULD be but I still think this slow, am I correct?
    No, 50 MegaBytes per second (400 Mega Bits per second) is about right for a gigabit LAN. You are limited by the speed of the drives as well as the TCP/IP and networking overhead.

Wireless networks usually have payload throughput around 1/3 the rated speed.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Jul 2011 at 20:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by midrigs24 View Post
    No, I don't quite get the difference... is it referencing megabyte vs megabit? a bit is smaller than a byte... I understand that.... So my wired connection is not having a problem I take it then?

is what referencing speed??? post a screenshot of it with the speed.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by midrigs24 View Post
    No, I don't quite get the difference... is it referencing megabyte vs megabit? a bit is smaller than a byte... I understand that.... So my wired connection is not having a problem I take it then?
    1 byte = 8 bits

b = bit
    B = byte

m = milli (1/1,000)
    M = mega (1,000,000)

So 50 MB/s = 400 Mb/s (multiply by 8 to convert bytes to bits).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes... I know the technical information... I just didn't know that a computer actually references to bits... I thought they only reference bytes. ANYWAY.... the LAN transfer speed is 50 MEGA BYTES or 400 MEGA BITS. No issues over LAN. seems only wireless is having the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  11. So where should I start with troubleshooting the wireless? I was thinking trying a transfer between the 2 laptops... and exclude the usb adapters... BUT I did stream a 720p movie from the gaming PC external HD to the media PC last night... But the transfer rate still only runs at like 1.2 MB/s
    Last edited by midrigs24; 14th Jul 2011 at 09:52.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by midrigs24 View Post
    I did stream a 720p movie from the gaming PC external HD to the media PC last night... But the transfer rate still only runs at like 1.2 MB/s
    What do you mean by streaming? The video was on one computer and you played it on the other? That will only run at the bitrate of the movie. Try timing how long it takes to copy the file from one computer to the other. Or use a program like NetStress. That will eliminate hard drive speeds from the test.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The video I streamed was 435 kbps bitrate... so I guess that isn't really a valid test for my network... I will download netstress and give you the results... stay tuned.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here is the results of the NetStress.... over 2 wireless signals (gaming laptop to media PC)

Name:	sent traffic.png
Views:	161
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	7805  

Name:	recieved traffic.png
Views:	155
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	7806  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well those results are pretty awful. in normal network mb/s terms you get under 6 mb/s throughput. any decent "n" network should be 10 times that., even a wireless "g" should be at least 5 times better. either the wireless router is bad/the adapters are bad/or they don't work together.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  16. Okay... well I don't belive that the network adapters don't work together because how could 3 different types of adapters all not work with each combination... I will pick up a wireless N router at walmart to see if switching out the router works... I have a funny feeling it won't though... I am in desperate need of some more options.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well believe it, it took 11 drafts and 7 years before they could finally agree on a specification for 802.11N. All the while some manufacturers released hardware that followed their own vision of what the spec should be, resulting in all sorts of incompatibilities between brands. That's why it was always better to stick to the same brand of adapters and routers in a "N" network.

Here's another little test you can try, switch the network to the "G" speed only and retry NetStress.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Good idea... I will switch it to G and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I was using an older version of NetStress which was simpler. I updated to the new one and found the default settings weren't well optimized (at least for my gigabit wired network). Try changing these settings:

Settings -> TCP and UDP Settings -> Packets Per Second:
    Network Rating -> 1-Gigabits/sec
    Number of TCP data -> 8
    Packets Per Second -> 8128 (the highest it will let you go)

That increased the gigabit network speed from 32 Mb/s to 520 Mb/s. The effect probably won't be as strong when using a slower connection.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Okay here is a netstress after changing the wireless from N only to G only....
    Also... jagabo.... My gigalan is fine... the speed on my LAN was actually higher than I have seen last night at 80MBps... (started at 108MB/s and slowly reduced to 80MB/s).

Name:	sent traffic.png
Views:	119
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	7812  

Name:	recieved traffic.png
Views:	177
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	7813  

Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by midrigs24 View Post
    Okay here is a netstress after changing the wireless from N only to G only....
    Weird. You're getting better speed out of B than N.

Also... jagabo.... My gigalan is fine...
    I know. I was just pointing out that the default settings in NetStress may not be the best for testing network throughput.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by midrigs24 View Post
    You got pretty much the results I expected, just slower. It's either hardware incompatibilities on the N speed or some major source of interference. Have you tried switching your settings for N speed to the 5 GHz frequency only? A good way to figure out if interference is the problem, bring everything together in the same room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Weird. You're getting better speed out of B than N.
    it looks like the reporting was changed from MB/s to Mb/s so the speed is actually lower. not that much but a little. poorer than poor?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    You got pretty much the results I expected, just slower. It's either hardware incompatibilities on the N speed or some major source of interference. Have you tried switching your settings for N speed to the 5 GHz frequency only? A good way to figure out if interference is the problem, bring everything together in the same room.

me i'd go the other way and only use 2.4ghz, as more devices are capable of it. 5ghz still seems a little under used.

@ midrigs24 - could you post the model numbers of the usb network adapters you are using?

--
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it looks like the reporting was changed from MB/s to Mb/s so the speed is actually lower. not that much but a little. poorer than poor?
    Dammit! I missed that.
    Quote Quote  
  26. This is a perfect example of how using a diagnostic program can give misleading results, and/or results that can be misinterpreted.

Now, if you were to take a 1-4 GB file, and transfer it, and time the transfer, you might be off by a second or two but the results are clear and nearly impossible to mis-interpret. Also, this would directly bear on the desired end result. No configuration is necessary, different versions of software do not matter.

Testing things that SHOULD reveal the desired performance is good, but testing the ACTUAL PROCESS that either will, or will not, show the desired performance is better.

I recommend the same elimination and swap tests as for the wired LAN. MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that any untested devices are powered off and their wireless transmitters disabled. Test individual pairs of units, put them side-by-side next to the router whenever possible. Then test them on another wireless net.

The OP either has a bad router, bad transmitter, or serious interference problem. Bad router would be my guess at this point, but more info is needed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. NetStress used to be much simpler. You started the program on two computers and selected Server on one, Client on the other. Entered the server's IP addresses on the client computer and pressed Start. Then it always displayed the speed in MB/s.
    Quote Quote