VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Netters,

My apologies if I am using a wrong group since it is my first post here.

I've got a LG V 181 DVD combo player which is supposed to be DivX / XVid compliant.

I have no problems playing DivX files (including DivX 6) but I do not hear any sound while playing XVid files. The video is okey. The XVid files play perfectly on the computer.

Any ideas? The AVI codec shows the following information on XVid file.
    File : 349 MB (349 MB), duration: 0:45:49, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 45 %
    Video : 302 MB, 924 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 512*384 (4:3), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
    Audio : 46 MB, 143 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Any help/advice/reference would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My brother has the same player and the same problem occasionaly.
    One of solutions is to use Virtualdubmod to save audio (save as wav) and video (direct stream copy) separately.
    Then convert audio again to mp3 with constant bitrate (128 kbps in your case). Join audio and video again with Virtualdubmod - save as new avi. This should solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

I did a further investigation and it looks like the player is confused when the average audio VBR rate of XVid file is < 128 kbps. (The player has no problems playing DivX files with the same rate).

Does anyone know if there is a simple way to 'fool' the player thinking the average rate is high rather than to reencode the audio?
    Quote Quote