VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've just captured a tape and when playing the avi file, it has a strange sound that is there throughout the whole capture.

I've captured from this tape a few times now and never had this noise before. I've just done a quick capture from a different tape and its not present, so I'm guessing that its something wrong with the tape, strange that it was fine last week though?

Just wondering if anybody knows what this could be?
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 3.avi (219.96 MB, 18 views)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's called head switch noise, Happens on HiFi audio only, Try cleaning drum heads, Also if the VCR has the auto cleaning roller remove it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Manually adjust the tracking.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It's called head switch noise, Happens on HiFi audio only, Try cleaning drum heads, Also if the VCR has the auto cleaning roller remove it.
    I’ll give that a go but it seems odd that its only that tape that has the noise. Ive tried 3 other tapes now and they dont have it.

Also the vcr is brand new out the box, its only had a few hours of use, so Im not sure that they'd be that dirty yet. Out of interest, how often do you advise to clean heads?

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Manually adjust the tracking.
    That doesn't make a difference unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is no rules about head cleaning, Some are anal about it and they perform it before each tape transfer and some do it only when a clog is noticed, and a hole lot of choices in between, It's a personal preference.
    Quote Quote  
  6. deleted (wrong thread).
    Last edited by Sharc; 3rd Feb 2023 at 05:06.
    Quote Quote