VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi gang, I have a bunch of old camcorder tapes to convert. I just finished converting all the Mini DV tapes and they all went smoothly without any issues. My setup is Video Camera RCA outputs to video capture device to my Macbook Pro's USB-C port. I have been using Quicktime to capture the videos. But now when I'm working on Video8 tapes with the exact same setup, this is what happens - see attached video. The video plays completely fine on the camera's screen but on the computer screen, there are issues. I have tried this in Quicktime and OBS with no luck. Am I having PAL/NTSC issues here? Can anyone please help?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Am1td; 28th Jul 2021 at 08:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Let me guess, you bought the easycap a.k.a easycrap? By the way you should not capture miniDV and analog tapes the same way, DV is digital and should be transfered digitally using iLink or firewire port of the camcorder for best quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I'm using EasyCap. Any reason why it worked with no issues with the MiniDV tapes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    miniDV is digital, the camcorder is converting it back to analog and output it via composite, the crappy device you used can indeed handle a good signal originated from a digital source, it cannot however handle a noisy analog video signal without $1500 TBC or a $150 DVD recorder in the passthrough, It was designed for capturing video games not analog video. It also explains why you should transfer DV in its native digital format not convert it to analog using the camcorder analog output and then convert it back to digital using a crappy chinese device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It also explains why you should transfer DV in its native digital format
    Difficult if they haven't got a firewire port on the Mac.

If your camcorder has a firewire port, one of these might do the trick:

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

It might allow you to capture straight from your camcorder's firewire port; you should also be able to capture your analogue Video8 tapes the same way (they will be converted to digital by the camcorder).

Might might might; I'm not an Apple expert. Check it out!

If none of that works, if you've got S-video out from your camera, I suggest you use that in preference to RCA (yellow) video. Cablechick's got them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone for your help. I got rid of EasyCap (EasyCrap) dongle and got myself an Elgato and it works perfectly!
    Quote Quote