VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi there,
    well i would like to buy a Canon GL2 digital camcorder, but dont really know much about digital video cameras. i went to a store today and looked at it and would just like to know what you guys think of this camera and if its worth how much it costs. also, when i go back to the store, what questions should i ask the guy about it and about buying it?
    thanks!
    --
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crazycatz0
    hi there,
    well i would like to buy a Canon GL2 digital camcorder, but dont really know much about digital video cameras. i went to a store today and looked at it and would just like to know what you guys think of this camera and if its worth how much it costs. also, when i go back to the store, what questions should i ask the guy about it and about buying it?
    thanks!
    --
    Wow!
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ive used it a lot before, although i dont own one. i like it a lot. although the xl1s has more accessories available for it, i think the gl-2 is better quality.

expect on paying around 3 grand for a new one. you can usually find used ones on ebay for a little less.
    Quote Quote  
  4. yea i know its 3 grand. i heard as well that this one is nicer than the XL1, they said the XL1 is too big and klunky and this one is a nice size. how are the still pictures taken with this camera?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I had 3k to spend I would get the panasonic dvx100a.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I Just bought a GL2 a few weeks ago, and it is an incredible camcorder for the price.
    It BLOWS my Sony DCR-TRV38 out of the water in every way.

Look around and be patient though, I got mine for $2000 Canadian ($1400US) and it is in EXCELLENT shape with only about 45 minutes of actual head wear on it.
    Digital ISO Productions
    Quote Quote  
  7. where did you get yours for $2000? was it from a retail store or a private sale? i would love to get one for $2000
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was actually on ebay, the guy only lived a couple hours from me, so I drove to his place to take a look at it.
    Digital ISO Productions
    Quote Quote  
  9. ahh, alright what did oyu search for on ebay? just canon GL@? because i've tried that and just came up with new ones for like 300 or more
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, just kept searching for Canon GL2 and I finally found something. It was a very sketchy looking auction. The only reason I even thought about it was because I knew I could drive there. There were no pictures and the guy only had 1 feedback on ebqy. But in the end it worked out in my favour, because nobody else even took a second look at the auction.
    Digital ISO Productions
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, have you looked into the Sony VX-2100? At least check it out, I just got it and I love it.
    Check for prices on www.bhphoto.com, they are a huge superstore, reliable, no b.s., and very good prices. I've ordered from them a few times (including the VX-2100 with a battery and extended warranty) and never had any problem whatsoever. Came in 2 days too, with the shipping I got.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I recommend the VX over the GL2. Even the VX2000 is a better camera. Cannon makes great lenses, but just cant carry it over totally to make great cameras.

The XL1s is a good camera, but there are too many little things.

The VX has incredible low-light performance, blows Cannon away.
    Friends don't let friends use Windows!

Elisha Cuthbert is so a total schorchcake!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by troyvcd1
    If I had 3k to spend I would get the panasonic dvx100a.
    For only $500 more, yeah me too.

Or for $1000 less than the Canon, the JVC GY-DV300U

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=246041...#goto_itemInfo
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the cry goes far and wide (again) for a camera forum.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing(s) that I dislike about the GL1/GL2 is the grainyness and the sound. That's why I recommend and why I bought the VX-2100 over the GL's.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    GL2 is OK but I would rather pick VX2100. At half the price (last time I heard it was avail. for 1.6 k) twice the camera.
    Quote Quote