VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Basically I'd like to know if the problem below (It seems like my drive 'struggles' to read this media after it's burnt it) is down to:
    - Fault with DVD Burner?
    - Fault with Media?
    - Just an incompatability issue that I can't do anything about?

I got my first ever DVD burner this w.end, and although I thought I'd done the right research before hand, I can't get my head around the following and I want to make sure that this is just a media/dvd drive incompatability and not a fault of the drive in case should send it back...

I'm tempted to say this is just media incompatability, but dont want to settle with it incase it is a genuine fault. The drive seemed to get nothing but good reviews on this site...

DETAILS:
    --------------------------------------------------------------

- PC: AMD XP2500, WinXP (Sp1).
    - Burner: NEC ND 2500A , Info:
    [ http://www.nec.co.uk/DVDRW_ND2500.aspx ]
    - MEDIA: {DV 3081} DATASAFE RITEK 1x-4x 4.7GB DVD-R , bought from here:
    [ http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html ]

I friend recommended the Media, and the drive I bought was listed in the 'recommended for' on the website where I bought the media from.

WHATS HAPPENING:

Basically: It seems like my drive 'struggles' to read this media after it's burnt it.

After burning to this media with my driver (burn process seems to happen with no problems), the drive then 'struggles' to read what it's wrote.

The first DVD I wanted to burn was a data DVD full of MP3's to free up some HD space. The burn process (using Nero 6) seemed to happen fine. But when I tested the DVD before deleting the MP3's from my HD, things weren't right.
    I can browse the folders and see the files, but can't read them or copy them back to my HD.
    If I try to copy back to HD I get: Data error (Cyclic redundancy check).

I say 'struggles' because some of the files were OK (they seemed to be the ones at the begining and end of the DVD).

I've tried:
    Burning at a slower speed.
    Burning with CopyToDVD.

Neither of these methods produced DVD's that were perfect.

I have done a few 'backups' of Video DVD's and burnt them to this media and they play fine in my DVD Player (technics), but they don't cooperate when I try to read them on my DVD Drive.
    (some seem ok at first, but cause PowerDVD to 'reset' or display a message along the lines of: This dvd may be damaged or scratched... (which they are not from what I can see).

Interestingly: The friend that recommended the Media brought a 'backup' Video DVD round before I bought the drive to test the compatability of my Player, and this works / reads fine in my DVD Drive (Same media, burn't using a LG GSA 4040b burner).

Since then I bought a pack of 3 TDK DVD+RW, I can burn to and read from these with no problems.

Notes:
    -It burns and reads CD's fine.
    -It reads original DVD'S fine.
    -I can burn media and it plays fine on my DVD Player.
    -I've used TDK DVD+RW, and I can burn to and read from these fine.

(I'm going to test the data dvd's at work tomorrow, to see if they'll read on a different DVD drive - I'll get back and let you know how that goes...)

So:

Basically I'd like to know if this problem is down to:
    - Fault with DVD Burner?
    - Fault with Media?
    - Just an incompatability issue that I can't do anything about?

Any advice / suggestions to explain this would be greatfully recieved.
    Cheers in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you read other posts (not so much here but at www.cdfreaks.com) you will see that this NEC ND-2500A and Ritek media don't get along at all.

I am surprised you even burnt it ok. sometimes the problems are so bad that people havent been able to finish a burn. Its an incompatibility and there have been a lot of requests to NEC to fix the writing strategies for Ritek media, as its very popular. Hopefully the next firmware update will sort it out.

That being said, this is an excellent burner and will burn a lot of other media really well, including CMC. A lot of CMC media can be found cheap and the NEC loves it.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The NEC is also know for not being the best reader. You could try taking it another DVD reader and see if it reads better. cdfreaks has a NEC forum and a media forum.

Also here's a C't test on burns and media and your burner is in it. Maxwell and ricoh does well. If CMC does well then TDK or Memorex should probably do well for you since I think they are either Ricoh or CMC. Check the Media database at this site for what brands use what media i.e. you buy memorex and it could either be CMC or Ricoh. I thin best buy and Target has 25 for $25 I think TDK. Also if it says "Made in Japan" go with it over Taiwan as a general rule and try and notice little things like memerox Ricoh are not heat shrinked wrap but CMC are (supposedly).

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405&start=0

Also if you know of someone who has a Lite-on you can do a kprobe of your burn's write quality and see whats working for you. You can also use Nero CD speed 2.11 (it does DVDs) and do a read test and see how smooth the line is .. I think thtas a crude test for burn quality. You can also try writing your MP3 from another burn program maybe that will work. Don't know maybe CloneDVD 2 writes just files. Maybe save the Riteks for movies.
    Quote Quote  
  4. cheers for the information folks. It is appriciated. I obviously didn't do as much research as I needed to...

Still getting my head round this media/manafacturer/brand business...

A'm I right in thinking that no matter of research can match a bit of luck to go with it? There seems to be alot of contridicting information about.

--------------------------------------

So this is definately not a fault of my new drive? It's just how it is, right?

If so, I'm not too fussed about the media I have, if I dont use it for video I can sell it to my friend who recommended it...

But I'm still not 100% about what media to get next...

RE: The media that I have.
    porphyra, you said:
    "I am surprised you even burnt it ok."

Yet, a review I read at cdfreaks ( http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/134/7 ) states the following:
    "The result is again perfect! This is simply the best result we have ever had with ritekg04 discs. Highly recommended."

But then I have no issues with writing to these disks, it's reading them after that I'm concerned with.

I found some good info here:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=ce9bb15bd2bfc9b4a051268edc4a4209&threadid=88172

Although all the suppliers/prices are US. I'd be interested if anyone can recommend a good UK retailer?

cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So how safe would it be to order these then:

{DV 3095} CMC Unbranded 1-4x DVD-R in spindle tubs of 25
    [ http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html ]

???

Is my NEC ND2500A gonna be able to read these disks after burning them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only thing about CMC is that I hear they vary in quality from batch to batch. Maybe they're getting better at this. Or ask in cdfreaks - NEC -that's were I'd ask when it comes to specifics on the NEC although here's good too ..the 2500A is pretty popular. I'm more inclined to go with Ricoh (RICOHJPNR01) 4x plus cause I heard they are more consistent or "true" Maxell 4x minus (made in Japan but hard to find).

cdfreaks - NEC group

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=86

Kprobe interpretations:

PI(Parity Inner): No larger areas on the disc should exceed 280 PI errors, do not worry too much about high single spikes that exceed 280.

PO(Parity Outer): No larger areas on the disc should exceed 32 PO (actually PI uncorrectable) errors, do not worry too much about high single spikes that exceeds 32.

Of course in this thread some people swear by CMC.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211398
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Here they have come to conclusion that there may be some compatibility problems with Ritek discs, NEC ND-2500A and Nero 6. But Stomp Recordnow max seem to get better results:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88173&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is real strange. I never thought that burning software has an impact.

I totally stay clear of Riteks now. I was not able to successfully burn even 1 G03. All were unreadable in any drive i tried. Of course they were RiDATA Ritek's, which imo are the lowest quality of all.

But NEC burns all my other media fine and I love this drive. Totally worth its price.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Update:

The first data DVD's that I burnt using G04 read fine in a dvd rom drive on a laptop at work!

Ordered some CMC media today, so will see how they go...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since getting my NEC2500a about a month ago I burned ~50 Ridata (Ritek G04) with no probms. Using Dangerous Bothers hax'd 106 fw. The NEC is actually mounted in a cheap Bytec USB 2.0 external case. It burns the G04 at 4x and Memorex +R (Ricoh) 4x @ 6x.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I had no trouble burning to G04, it was reading them afterwards that was the problem...
    The G04 I've burn't read fine in other DVD Roms, just not in the ND 2500A that burnt them. (this is an arse because I dont have another DVD Rom at the moment...)

"Using Dangerous Bothers hax'd 106 fw" - ???
    Sorry - whats does this mean?

Is that a 'unofficial' firmware? Where would I get that from? Are there any dangers of playing with firmwares? Can I revert back to the original if I need to?

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  12. buy different media and see what hapens. Personally, I don't think it's the burner...but it's possible.
    if this happens again, then it's the drive.
    I got a NEC 1 year ago, and burns perfect, but never tried Riteks......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mr_simonward
    I had no trouble burning to G04, it was reading them afterwards that was the problem...
    The G04 I've burn't read fine in other DVD Roms, just not in the ND 2500A that burnt them. (this is an arse because I dont have another DVD Rom at the moment...)

"Using Dangerous Bothers hax'd 106 fw" - ???
    Sorry - whats does this mean?

Is that a 'unofficial' firmware? Where would I get that from? Are there any dangers of playing with firmwares? Can I revert back to the original if I need to?

Cheers.

I can burn and read with NEC 2500a using G04 discs. Usally after the disc is burnt and ejected, I just reload it back in drive to see if it works. Do chapter scans and they all seem to work. They played flawlessly on all my standalone DVD players even with paper labels afixed.

Dangerous Brothers site.

http://tdb.rpc1.org/

makes DVD burner RPC-1 (region free), also uses the most uptodate FW. U can go back to earlier versions if u want.
    Quote Quote  
  14. thanks for the dangerous brothers tip.

I recieved my CMC media today. Just burnt a Data DVD and it works a treat. Reads fine.

cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I too have burned dozens of riteks with my 2500a. Not a single coaster, playback is flawless in the drive or in standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I've been looking at this forum, cdfreaks etc, but I'm still having trouble making an informed buying decision for blanks to go with my new 2500A

Matt D:- what media are you using please, and are you burning at 8x?

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  17. djbone - These particular Ritek's were Fuji branded -R's from Best Buy that I received as a gift. I got two 25 packs UPC 7410175125 (Made in Taiwan) that indentified as ritekg03. I have about 10-12 of them left and not one has been a problem. I usually use Nero 6 to burn, but I have run off some with TMPGEnc DVD as well.
    No burning at 8x though. I have not purchased or received any media rated that high so I stick with 1-4x.
    Quote Quote