VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Let's say I have a simple computer with an onboard video card and a computer with an expensive video graphics card. The same ones connected with the same and good capture card.

Question: Would the capture quality be the same? No matter whether or not one has an excellent graphics card?

[Attachment 69666 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Graphics card is for displaying the picture into the monitor, The capture card is what determines the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Graphics card is for displaying the picture into the monitor, The capture card is what determines the quality.

What is the best capture card in your opinion?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This subject has been beaten to death, Just look up threads here for the most stable capture devices, At the end of the day it depends on the quality of your VCR, the OS system and the condition/format of your tapes, There is no cookie cutter approach here, Post more info about your case.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Litaiff
    Question: Would the capture quality be the same? No matter whether or not one has an excellent graphics card?
    Answer: Yes. Capturing is not a particularly system-intensive task on a relatively modern system. I capture quite happily on my 2011 vintage i5-750 with only a very weak graphics card.

Originally Posted by Litaiff
    What is the best capture card in your opinion?
    Your current card is fine (the Pinnacle 700PCI).

The fundamental issue we all have with your workflow on the other thread is your capturing into XVID with MPC.

The recommended workflow is capture with Virtual Dub or AmarecTV with codec HUFYUV or Lagarith. This gives you a good quality, lossless AVI file (around 35gb per hour).

You then edit that captured file with VDub or AVISynth or other video editors, both free and paid (deinterlace if necessary, adjust colour and exposure, crop, resize) and then export to H264, which will result in a good-quality file that will be playable almost everywhere and on anything.

Anyway, if you have any more questions re the workflow, best to continue on your other thread.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 10th Mar 2023 at 06:22.
    Quote Quote