VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I've been using the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 with my Macbook and it's been wonderful EXCEPT every once in a while, I'll get a glitch in my capture. This frustrates me because I have to go back and watch every one of my captures to make sure glitches aren't there and re-capture if needed. I had used the HD PVR 2 with my Windows desktop before and as far as I remember, didn't have any issues.

I'm using HDPVRCapture 3.10.9 and running MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 with Apple M1 Pro chip on my MacBook Pro.

I've attached a little clip sample. The glitch happens at 0:12
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's a data corruption glitch, It's either in the tape to begin with, if it is not in the tape, it probably happens during the encoding to mpeg-2, This is one of the reasons why capturing and encoding on the fly is not recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    That's a data corruption glitch, It's either in the tape to begin with, if it is not in the tape, it probably happens during the encoding to mpeg-2, This is one of the reasons why capturing and encoding on the fly is not recommended.
    It’s not on the tape, so it’s definitely during the capture process. I was thinking about investing in a Elgato HD60 but not sure which version to get and also I’m afraid it’ll continue to happen on my Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It is better to use a PC computer, with MAC your options are very limited in terms of capture programs and hardware compatibility. Avoid video recorders like the HD60, it's made for capturing video games not analog video tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is better to use a PC computer, with MAC your options are very limited in terms of capture programs and hardware compatibility.
    Yeah I see that. I’ve just had bad experiences in the past with PCs not lasting a long time, and I’ve had better experiences with Mac longevity, so I got the new MacBook since it’s useful for me for work as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I have a Windows Vista Sony laptop that I bought in 2008 still works under Wind 7 and I could load Win 10 if I wanted to, Yes Apple products are good but they are not versatile like PC products.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Windows Vista Sony laptop that I bought in 2008 still works under Wind 7 and I could load Win 10 if I wanted to, Yes Apple products are good but they are not versatile like PC products.
    I mean, maybe it’s not true for you but I’ve had Windows ME, Windows XP, and Windows Vista, and they all died within like 5 years. I still have my Windows Vista because I have stuff on it, but it takes 30 min to boot up. I was so fed up with Windows that I decided to switch to Mac once I started photography and I never looked back lol I’ve never had a single issue with my Macs. This is the only issue I’ve ever had. That, and once I started trying to do stuff with videos again I quickly discovered that people don’t make programs for Mac, which bothers me
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I understand your experience with PC but it is not a general rule, Apple products die too, It all depends on how you use and take care of them. Apple is a closed system, you basically cannot do anything without their permission or buying their own expensive add-on, I'm an apple iPhone owner since iPhone 3, I like it. but when it comes to computer I didn't want to have to deal with Apple' bureaucracy in their Mac products.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand your experience with PC but it is not a general rule, Apple products die too, It all depends on how you use and take care of them. Apple is a closed system, you basically cannot do anything without their permission or buying their own expensive add-on, I'm an apple iPhone owner since iPhone 3, I like it. but when it comes to computer I didn't want to have to deal with Apple' bureaucracy in their Mac products.
    Ahh that makes sense why there’s less programs available for Macs. I do remember when I had a Windows, there was a program that could tell me where I had corruptions in my Transport Streams and it made it easy to just quickly re-capture those portions but I can’t on Mac
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Because Apple software licensing and their restrictions for software developpers, It is not as an open platform as PC.
    Quote Quote