VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to successfully download 1080p videos from Channel 4 a month or two ago. Now it seems that video mpds don't list 1080p information. Only 576p is available at max. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone confirm this please with:
    Code:
    yt-dlp --allow-u -F "link-to-mpd"
    Sample video (which was previously downloaded in 1080p):
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by joasis View Post
    Am I doing something wrong?
    I wouldnt rule this out..............quite possibly you are.

[Attachment 64378 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks codehound. I realized my .mpd link has a filter parameter which limits display height to 576 pixels:
    Code:
    https://ak-jos-c4assets-com.akamaized.net/CH4_43_02_900_70914001001002_001/CH4_43_02_900_70914001001002_001_J01.ism/stream.mpd?c3.ri=13505210914841619937&mpd_segment_template=time&filter=(type=="video"&&((DisplayHeight>=288)&&(DisplayHeight<=576)))||type!="video"&ts=1650237886&e=600&st=ogfRm2mgvM_yxzaYgsXEJUz0Yluvf799U7N8mG6yV1E
    Now I only need to figure out why... Could be a limitation imposed on the user account I'm using.
    Last edited by joasis; 17th Apr 2022 at 19:32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you using the top url in the address bar or using DevTools (F12) and filtering for mpd ?

If you're using the mpd > click Response tab and you will see all the different / available resolutions towards the bottom
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Are you using the top url in the address bar or using DevTools (F12) and filtering for mpd ?

If you're using the mpd > click Response tab and you will see all the different / available resolutions towards the bottom
    The problem is that "Response" is generated based on the "&filter=[...]" string used in the .mpd request URL. With the .mpd link that channel4.com provides me, I can only see resolutions up to 1024x576... Any attempts to change anything in filter string results in "400 Bad Request". It would be interesting to figure out how to bypass this because even in your .mpd there's a filter with bitrate limitations. Removing those might uncover 1080p downloads with higher bitrates.

So far, it doesn't seem to be a restriction imposed on my account. The problem is only reproducible with Chrome browser on my Linux lap top. Chrome on Windows successfully returns .mpd with 1080p streams.

Related: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398927-mpd-download-filter
    Last edited by joasis; 17th Apr 2022 at 20:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did this ever get resolved? as i too seem to only be able to download 576p videos, and running the following:
    yt-dlp --allow-u -F indicates that there isn't a 1080p option available? anyone else getting this odd behaviour?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by BadJoker View Post
    Did this ever get resolved? as i too seem to only be able to download 576p videos, and running the following:
    yt-dlp --allow-u -F indicates that there isn't a 1080p option available? anyone else getting this odd behaviour?
    Are you using linux?
    Quote Quote  
  8. video link?
    Last edited by lomero; 12th Jun 2022 at 12:39.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No not using Linux, using Win7 with Chrome, it's everything i've tried over the last few weeks, but the last thing was this i interrogated the server and it's saying no 1080p only 1024x576 max, which is very strange.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/celebrity-gogglebox/on-demand/73363-001
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by BadJoker View Post
    i interrogated the server
    How did the whole interrogation went down and are there any conclusions as to the perpetrator?
    Quote Quote  
  11. using Win7 with Chrome
    Code:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-smart-switcher/dgdmfclijcondkaobmpgbmibaaocfdpj
    windows / edge 102
    Quote Quote  
  12. nice one karapuz

a very usefull post to get 1080p. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    nice one karapuz

a very usefull post to get 1080p. thanks
    What does it show in user agent? Maybe they dont allow 1080p for windows 7?
    Quote Quote  
  14. What does it show in user agent?
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows 10.0
    Edge 102.0.1245.39
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by karapuz View Post
    What does it show in user agent?
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows 10.0
    Edge 102.0.1245.39
    Do you have two accounts here?
    Quote Quote  
  16. the problem isn't win7 or w10/11, but the browser: it seems that any browser not reply with an mpd with high resolutions (1080p)
    but the only one that gets an mpd with 1080 is edge browser
    so, if you don't have/use edge, install extension at post#11, then select OS win, browser edge

with this with whatever browser you use it seems to be edge browser
    and with this trick you get a "special" mpd with 1080p
    Quote Quote  
  17. Cheers guys, should have known it was something simple like that all working now
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi all,

I ran the command and obtained the list, as showed in the codehound's screenshot.

What command must I do to then download the files that I want from the list?

(When I run the command without the --f argument, it downloads a m4a file and a mp4 but they won't play in VLC).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DBCooperABC View Post
    When i run the command without the --f argument, it downloads a m4a file and a mp4 but they won't play in VLC
    you don't play audio/video because both are encrypted ... read some other threads on this forum
    Last edited by lomero; 23rd Sep 2022 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thats because they are encrypted. You need the decryption key to decrypt both. Then merge the decrypted video and audio together with ffmpeg or mkvmerge.

If you post or PM the name of the program someone may provide the keys. If you were unaware of the encryption here; there is no way you will be able to obtain the keys yourself.
    Last edited by codehound; 24th Sep 2022 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by dbcooperabc View Post
    thanks for answering, the episode i'm trying to download is this one: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-celebrity-bake-off-for-su2c/on-demand/70304-003
    s4e3

Code:
    872e1560dffd73cd5f5f69efb4d1370c:332f6b1fa096f8888cf5f3507ce034d6
    Last edited by codehound; 24th Sep 2022 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks! I'm gonna look for a tutorial explaining how to use the code, and try that; thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks for the information!
    Quote Quote