VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi everyone.

Here's my setup (for a french SECAM tape) :

JVC S9850 > Canopus ADVC-100 > Virtualdub (Windows 7)

VCR Settings : all disable (EDIT mode)

----------

Sample attached. I tried with another vcr, same result.
    TBC on : it's worse. I never use it, always a problem with that function.

It's SECAM but... can I use Panasonic ES10 ? It will work to stabilize the tape ? Even if it's not PAL ?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something I'd like to know : should I buy a video converter ? So I can convert SECAM to PAL. So I can use my Datavideo TBC-1000 on my french tapes. Sounds stupid ?

update : I just saw on my JVC S9500, the transcoder setting. I can convert my SECAM tape to PAL.
    Last edited by TONYFRANCE; 30th May 2021 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will need a secam vcr to play secam tapes,no getting around that.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, I forgot to say : I live in France and my vcr's are french. Both of my JVC are PAL/SECAM
    Quote Quote  
  5. The European ES10 (and other panasonics but didn't trawl through every manual) supports secam according to the manual at least: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798874/Panasonic-Diga-Dmr-Es10.html?page=41 - so it would very likely help yes. (Just be vary that it can sometimes blow out whites unless you manually lower the video level going into it.) Newer Sony/pioneer (dvr-_30 and rdr-hx_50 and newer) dvd/hdd-recorders also contains some stabilizing functionality, and support secam as far as I know, though they're a bit less powerful than the panasonic dvd-recorders.

System converters typically involve digitizing and buffering similar to what a TBC works which results in any TBC after it in the chain not being able to do anything more than what the converter already is, in any case the TBC-1000 doesn't help all that much with horizontal jittering like in the sample. EDIT: The built in thing in the vcr may be a bit different though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. il te faut acheter un ancien enregistreur dvd type sony rdr hxd 870 (ou similaires 970 1070, 890) qui ont un tbc qui enlève le jitter et ils ont plein d'options pour l'image (niveau du noir,blanc reduction de bruit etc..) , voir ici : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESzXCxf3Hg

You'd have to buy a sony rdr hxd 870 or similar, they got a tbc and lots of options (black, white levels, CNR etc..)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did a test with Panasonic ES10 and it works great. But I don't like the grey filter on the picture.
    Is it possible to correct that with a script ?
    Image Attached Images    
    Quote Quote  
  8. Fix the input and output levels in the ES10's setup menus.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Should I use RCA instead of S-VIDEO ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TONYFRANCE View Post
    Should I use RCA instead of S-VIDEO ?
    No.

If anything there is now detail that was lost in blown-out white before! Look at the texture of the wall in that bright spot.
    If the brightest white is now a tad too low this can easily be fixed with, what I recommend, SmoothAdjust (because it does not introduce banding like Levels does).

Use a histogram such as Histogram("classic") to verify the brightest spots land on Y=235.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What is the exact thing to write with SmoothAdjust ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by TONYFRANCE View Post
    What is the exact thing to write with SmoothAdjust ?
    Without a sample of the video nobody can tell you exactly what settings to use. It will be something like SmoothAdjust(contrast=1.15).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Without a sample of the video nobody can tell you exactly what settings to use. It will be something like SmoothAdjust(contrast=1.15).
    Shouldn't this be SmoothTweak(contrast=...)? I understood SmoothAdjust is just the .dll which includes a few filters, no?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Shouldn't this be SmoothTweak(contrast=...)? I understood SmoothAdjust is just the .dll which includes a few filters, no?
    Oops, yes, sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Attached
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  16. Are you really capturing with that tiny frame size? You really should be capturing at 720x576.

"01.no pana.avi" has those bright peaks crushed already just below Y=235.

[Attachment 59316 - Click to enlarge]

"02.pana.avi" should be adjust with about:

Code:
    AviSource("02.pana.avi") 
    SmoothTweak(contrast=1.17, brightness=-4, saturation=1.17)
    TurnRight().Histogram().TurnLeft()
    [Attachment 59318 - Click to enlarge]

You can see that the bright peak isn't crushed flat here, unlike the first image. But that's just one shot. These adjustments may not be appropriate for other shots. And you should adjust the capture device's video proc amp to capture with overall levels closer to this in the first place. By overall I mean not all shots will have full black and full white. But you want your darkest large black areas to be about Y=16, and the brightest large whites areas around Y=235. Ignore small overshoots.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks !
    No I don't capture my videos like that. It's just lighter for the forum.

I don't have "proc amp" settings with my Canopus ADVC-100, that's the main problem with this device.
    But for SECAM, that's the only way to save these films...
    Quote Quote  
  18. pour enlever les bandes violettes sur le coté et le bruit chromatique en général:
    To remove pink stripes on the top/side and chroma noise
    avisource()
    assumetff()
    ConvertToYV16(interlaced=true)
    orig=last
    ev=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selecteven()
    od=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selectodd()
    ev
    ue_chroma = UToY(ev).SpotLessUV()
    ve_chroma = VToY(ev).SpotLessUV()
    YToUV(ue_chroma, ve_chroma)
    MergeLuma(ev)
    ev_filtered=last
    od
    uo_chroma = UToY(od).SpotLessUV()
    vo_chroma = VToY(od).SpotLessUV()
    YToUV(uo_chroma, vo_chroma)
    MergeLuma(od)
    od_filtered=last
    interleave(ev_filtered,od_filtered)
    assumefieldbased().assumetff().weave()
    Image Attached Files
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    pour enlever les bandes violettes sur le coté et le bruit chromatique en général:
    To remove pink stripes on the top/side and chroma noise
    avisource()
    assumetff()
    ConvertToYV16(interlaced=true)
    orig=last
    ev=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selecteven()
    od=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selectodd()
    ev
    ue_chroma = UToY(ev).SpotLessUV()
    ve_chroma = VToY(ev).SpotLessUV()
    YToUV(ue_chroma, ve_chroma)
    MergeLuma(ev)
    ev_filtered=last
    od
    uo_chroma = UToY(od).SpotLessUV()
    vo_chroma = VToY(od).SpotLessUV()
    YToUV(uo_chroma, vo_chroma)
    MergeLuma(od)
    od_filtered=last
    interleave(ev_filtered,od_filtered)
    assumefieldbased().assumetff().weave()
    Merci ! Mais j'ai déjà demandé concernant ce probleme :
    Thanks ! But I already asked about it :

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/385637-Erase-red-purple-mark-%28VHS-capture%29
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by TONYFRANCE View Post
    I don't have "proc amp" settings with my Canopus ADVC-100, that's the main problem with this device.
    You could probably apply the GraphStudio trick for tweaking the proc amp settings.
    See the discussion here and apply it for your capture device
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401349-GV-USB2-Capture-Stick-What-s-In-It/page2#post2616229
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    You could probably apply the GraphStudio trick for tweaking the proc amp settings.
    See the discussion here and apply it for your capture device
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401349-GV-USB2-Capture-Stick-What-s-In-It/page2#post2616229
    Oh I'm gonna try this. Thanks everyone, there's so much possibilities !
    Quote Quote  
  22. I tried GraphStudio : no "proc amp settings" in the 'Properties'
    Quote Quote  
  23. Here's the ES10 settings. Am I right ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	settings01.png
Views:	19
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	59329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	settings02.png
Views:	22
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	59330  

Click image for larger version

Name:	settings03.png
Views:	24
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	59331  

Quote Quote  
  24. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Can't you set the DMR-ES10 to SECAM per oln's post? To avoid the extra converter/transcoder step in your VCR.

Originally Posted by oln View Post
    The European ES10 (and other panasonics but didn't trawl through every manual) supports secam according to the manual at least: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798874/Panasonic-Diga-Dmr-Es10.html?page=41 - so it would very likely help yes.

You should disable the AV-in NR (meaning: noise reduction applied to video inputs). It's located in a really stupid place, not in the full menu system.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by TONYFRANCE View Post
    I tried GraphStudio : no "proc amp settings" in the 'Properties'
    Did you find the filter for the Canopus ADVC-100 in the GraphStudio filter selection list? Were the proc amp settings greyed out?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Can't you set the DMR-ES10 to SECAM per oln's post? To avoid the extra converter/transcoder step in your VCR.

Originally Posted by oln View Post
    The European ES10 (and other panasonics but didn't trawl through every manual) supports secam according to the manual at least: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/798874/Panasonic-Diga-Dmr-Es10.html?page=41 - so it would very likely help yes.

You should disable the AV-in NR (meaning: noise reduction applied to video inputs). It's located in a really stupid place, not in the full menu system.
    No I can't set the ES10 to SECAM : it's PAL or NTSC.
    I set the VCR in SECAM, I don't use the "SECAM to PAL" function.

About "AV-in NR", I don't see it. I attached a picture of this menu, it's all grey.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	settings04.png
Views:	23
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	59352  

Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I tried GraphStudio : no "proc amp settings" in the 'Properties'
    Did you find the filter for the Canopus ADVC-100 in the GraphStudio filter selection list? Were the proc amp settings greyed out?
    Yes I see it in filter selection list (they are 4!) but no proc amp settings.
    It's not that bad, I will correct my films with SmoothAdjust
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    About "AV-in NR", I don't see it. I attached a picture of this menu, it's all grey.
    Is AV-in NR not located in the Video/Picture tab for you?

It looks like this on my DMR-EH 575 (sorry it's German):
    [Attachment 59354 - Click to enlarge]

Edit: OK, I just realized you probably cannot access the upper tabs in this menu.
    Try what happens if there is a signal in the background, or try playing a DVD, that might unlock it.

No I can't set the ES10 to SECAM : it's PAL or NTSC.
    What happens if you set it to PAL and then input SECAM from your VCR?
    Last edited by Skiller; 8th Jun 2021 at 10:33.
    Quote Quote  
  29. The Canopus ADVC-100 is a box that takes analog video and outputs DV over firewire. If there is some way to adjust input levels it would be some separate program or something, but the manual doesn't mention anything about it. Graphstudio won't work for it, it is for capture cards that connect to the computer itself and uses the windows system for capture.

My PAL ES10 also has av-in NR setting at the same place as in the screenshot in the previous post, no idea what would cause it to be disabled.

It should normally auto-detect between PAL and SECAM (though according to the manual you can set that manually if needed.) It looks like it's detecting correctly otherwise you would just get rainbows rather than color.

I don't know whether the output from S-Video/Composite on the ES10 will be PAL or SECAM if the input is SECAM but it shouldn't really matter anyhow as it's decoded to digital component form internally in any case.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    To access the AV-in NR selection, you need to be viewing an input. To be safe, set it on the S-Video input you're going to use. I think it saves globally, but it may be per-input.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote