VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have copied (cloned) all my home videos from numerous DVDs to the hard drive of my computer. The quality varies as some were initially made on VHS cassettes.
    I now want to edit some of the videos. I also want to keep all the videos in whatever format on the hard drive to stream it to my LG Smart TV.

Space on my desktop isn't really a problem, but I really do not want to lose video quality. Should I convert to mpeg2 (as the VOBs are in mpeg2) or to mp4 to first edit and then render?

What settings should I use when I convert? Should I, for instance, leave it interlaced, what bitrate, etc. I have Premiere Pro. (Should I use PP for the conversion or is there another programme that I can consider to use when converting?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    try avidemux. Open Vob file here. It will load all parts at once (of movie). Then under video copy, under audio copy and output format try ts muxer. This way you get one file without reencoding (no lost byte). I dont know if Premiere pro will read it without problem, with sound etc. If not try rename the file from ts to mpeg. But it is not good to reencode video when you have DVD quality video. Actually yes, but when you will be finish with editing that you mentioned.

EDIT I mean not lost byte for MPEG-2 videos (vobs etc)

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your assistance. I will try avidemux.

Having done some editing, should I leave the files as mpeg2, or convert to mp4?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on your computer etc. If you want smaller files with good quality then MP4 (it is container) so video x264 or x265. Depending where you want to watch your videos. If only on PC, then x265 video + aac audio will be best, If on tv, check what format it support. Answer can be very long, when I dont know what is the medium you want to watch your final video.

EDIT: for x265 I suggest you to use CRF constant rate factor, for x264 CRF about 18. Check the result, if is not good, lower CRF to 18 x265 or 16 x264.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An alternative option:

1. Use MakeMKV to extract the main movie from the ISO.
    2. Use ffmpeg to copy the the audio and video from mkv to an mpg file.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i <input.mkv> -vcodec copy -acodec copy <output.mpg>
    3. Use Premiere Pro to edit and export as mpg or mp4.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote