VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Here is the image from MediInfo. These figures I recoded down to 800x600 arbitrarily because that's the minimum screen resolution in Win7. Also lower resolutions seem very sharp from most sources in my old monior world. It may be hard to read but the resolution in the original is 1280 x 720 and the file is very large. I'm working with a slimmed down size from handbrake of approx 1 Gb for viewing purposes. Sync and everything seems to be ok.

I can redo the recode if you have other suggestions.

The goal is to do the recode, remove a water mark with cropping screen left and
    editing into two separate files for a first part and second part. Some fade effects are needed
    where the video does not have any good transitions to black.
    I'm sorry but you are doing everything wrong. I haven't see the Midsummer Night's Dream video but if it's like the trailer it's a 2.4:1 movie letterboxed in a 16:9 frame. Cropping it to 4:3 is butchering it. Much of the information you've been giving us has been wrong or unclear. The MediaInfo report shows it is 50 fps, not 30 fps. Decimating it to 23.976 fps is probably wrong. And you can't figure out how to crop in VirtualDub? Can't you do a simple google search? Or go to Youtube and search for "VirtualDub cropping"? Jesus Christ, this is hopeless.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Apr 2017 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Here is the image from MediInfo. These figures I recoded down to 800x600 arbitrarily because that's the minimum screen resolution in Win7. Also lower resolutions seem very sharp from most sources in my old monior world. It may be hard to read but the resolution in the original is 1280 x 720 and the file is very large. I'm working with a slimmed down size from handbrake of approx 1 Gb for viewing purposes. Sync and everything seems to be ok.

I can redo the recode if you have other suggestions.

The goal is to do the recode, remove a water mark with cropping screen left and
    editing into two separate files for a first part and second part. Some fade effects are needed
    where the video does not have any good transitions to black.
    I'm sorry but you are doing everything wrong. I haven't see the Midsummer Night's Dream video but if it's like the trailer it's a 2.4:1 movie letterboxed in a 16:9 frame. Cropping it to 4:3 is butchering it. Much of the information you've been giving us has been wrong or unclear. The MediaInfo report shows it is 50 fps, not 30 fps. Decimating it to 23.976 fps is probably wrong. And you can't figure out how to crop in VirtualDub? Can't you do a simple google search? Or go to Youtube and search for "VirtualDub cropping"? Jesus Christ, this is hopeless.

I've been in hopeless places before. When you say "movie" I think you mean the Julie Taymor film. This is a screen cap from a live shoot at the Globe Theatre. I am not the original capper and that's all I'll say about source. The FPS I simply misread. Since I want to
    do that crop yet, I will make another 15 sec sample and upload it here.

Try not to set your hair on fire over this. What I have right now is usable but I want to make these refinements.

Other appointments today. I'll get it loaded-- and not use Virtual Dub to do the snip either.
    Back soon.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here is a 15 sec snip from the original 5 plus GB source.
    The logo I want to trim simply because it is distracting.

You may be able to see the jumping effect. Correct me if I'm wrong (natch) but it looks like dropped
    frames. My newer encodes in reduced size are smoothe and sharp.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. It looks to me as if it was shot using 25i video cameras and converted to 50p for release. Maybe it was even shot at 50p, I don't know. By decimating to 23.976fps it will get all stutttery/jerky. I doubt what you said about decimating similar videos to 23.976fps with smooth playback. There's nothing at all wrong with leaving it at 50p (or returning it to 25i) but reencoding it, even properly, will degrade it. If you insist on decimating it, remove every other frame to make it 25p, and it will still play less smoothly than the source.

I think the logo can be more-or-less successfully removed but better would be to find a scene where there's true black behind the logo to begin the process. Simply cropping away the top of the video because you don't like the logo is a waste, if you ask me, which you didn't. Heck, even putting a black box over the logo would be better than cutting away part of the video. But, as I said, I think it can be successfully removed.

There's no 'jumping effect'. It plays smooth as silk.
    Last edited by manono; 27th Apr 2017 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It looks to me as if it was shot using 25i video cameras and converted to 50p for release. Maybe it was even shot at 50p, I don't know. By decimating to 23.976fps it will get all stutttery/jerky. I doubt what you said about decimating similar videos to 23.976fps with smooth playback. There's nothing at all wrong with leaving it at 50p (or returning it to 25i) but reencoding it, even properly, will degrade it. If you insist on decimating it, remove every other frame to make it 25p, and it will still play less smoothly than the source.

I think the logo can be more-or-less successfully removed but better would be to find a scene where there's true black behind the logo to begin the process. Simply cropping away the top of the video because you don't like the logo is a waste, if you ask me, which you didn't. Heck, even putting a black box over the logo would be better than cutting away part of the video. But, as I said, I think it can be successfully removed.

There's no 'jumping effect'. It plays smooth as silk.
    Well we must be working at cross purposes then. My smaller version has no stutter
    but I'll be proofing it again because I enjoy watching it. Shall I make a sample of that recode
    I made with the crop so you can see the details? That is what I want to use as the new master.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Well we must be working at cross purposes then. My smaller version has no stutter
    but I'll be proofing it again because I enjoy watching it.
    There's no difference of opinion here. You're just plain wrong. The sample does not stutter, as you claim it does. As for your 23.976fps version, it depends on how you created it. If you combined decimation to 25fps with slowdown to 23.976fps, then it might play smoothly, but I don't believe Handbrake has that ability. If you only decimated, then it stutters. There's no two ways about it. Sure, put up a sample of your 'new and improved' version. If I had to guess, I'd say your computer is too weak to play the source video smoothly. But that's only a guess.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    but I'll be proofing it again because I enjoy watching it.
    There's no difference of opinion here. You're just plain wrong. The sample does not stutter, as you claim it does. As for your 23.976fps version, it depends on how you created it. If you combined decimation to 25fps with slowdown to 23.976fps, then it might play smoothly, but I don't believe Handbrake has that ability. If you only decimated, then it stutters. There's no two ways about it. Sure, put up a sample of your 'new and improved' version. If I had to guess, I'd say your computer is too weak to play the source video smoothly. But that's only a guess.
    Quoting again because of different speakers.
    Yes, my motherboard and on the motherboard video could easily be the problem.

Changing the topic slightly I could ask of the newer renderers for things like Potplayer would smooth out the 50 fp on my old monitor and motherboard. Or I can bring the sample in to my newer mobo and more memory-- but still with onboard ATI video.

Next I'm just going to try to navigate Virtual Dub again and bring in any operation questions for the fade in fade out which is the topic.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Any reason not to use AviSynth's FadeIn/Out filters for the job? It's dead simple to set up those particular commands and they're built into AviSynth so no third party filters are needed.

Want to Fade Out over 45 frames?

FadeOut0(45)

Want to fade in and then out over 45 frames at the beginning and end?

FadeIO0(45)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Any reason not to use AviSynth's FadeIn/Out filters for the job? It's dead simple to set up those particular commands and they're built into AviSynth so no third party filters are needed.

FadeOut0(45)

FadeIO0(45)

Only if you hold my hand. I do not know the difference at this stage what could be the
    advantage of either or. I know everyone who uses a particular program will say it's EZ.

The job will be needed on the Live shoot described above. I have resized the
    piece to my satisfaction but will be proofing it after a final crop adjustment which is
    running now.

AVI Synth (which works with mp4/mkv you say) may be installed for one of my
    utilities but I'd have to check that. As mentioned working with frames vs timecodes
    has been a problem for me. After I do the crop across the whole original file
    I want to snip off some introduction then save enough _time_ on that to do a fade in to an
    initial speech. This can all be fun to do for me but it may be tedious for you since
    I have no choice but to do things by rote.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Yes, there's something wrong with your computer. Ruining the video just to accommodate your current computer ill advised. But it's your video so do what you want with it.

50p on a 60p monitor will display 10 tiny jerks every second. Most people won't even be able to see that. Reducing the video to 25p (discarding every other frame) will result in less smooth motion, a bit of flicker, and you will get 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown judder. Reducing it to 24p will will give less smooth motion, a bit of flicker, and 3:2 pulldown judder. But it will also cause a visible (depending on the shot) jump once a second because an extra frame is removed.

Changing the topic slightly I could ask of the newer renderers for things like Potplayer would smooth out the 50 fp on my old monitor and motherboard.
    Just do the experiments yourself.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Apr 2017 at 18:42.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Any reason not to use AviSynth's FadeIn/Out filters for the job? It's dead simple to set up those particular commands and they're built into AviSynth so no third party filters are needed.

FadeOut0(45)

FadeIO0(45)
    Ok. I will take this as a starting point after I do the trims. I will come back when I'm ready.

I see code. Where does the code go? You show 45 frames which is then a default or
    visual fade-- let's say to black?

Please give a path to where the code goes.

I have an edit which I will trim at the beginning and then fade in from the trim point.
    And yes I may have to experiment with that once it saves. This is another noob question
    but both audio and video fade in with this AVISynth style? Audio is not a separate job as I have seen in some program notes.

Again, there's set up to do so I won't reply immediately.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Ok. I will take this as a starting point after I do the trims.
    Trim, as in removing frames from the video? I think you mentioned cutting out the beginning credits. It's a simple to use AviSynth filter as well:

Trim (1000,0)

removes the first 1000 frames. AviSynth counting begins with zero, so it removes frame number zero through frame number 999. Doing this in AviSynth is faster and results in better quality than using the VDub filters (no colorspace conversions). Look, if you're serious about your video encoding hobby, I don't see where you have any choice but to learn AviSynth.

I see code. Where does the code go?
    In a kind of text file called an AVS (like, Movie.avs). It will be seen by VDub and any other program that accepts AVS input (which is most of them) as just another video.

I have an edit which I will trim at the beginning and then fade in from the trim point.
    Trim(1000,0)
    FadeIn0(45)

That removes the first 1000 frames and then fades in over the next 45 frames.

You show 45 frames which is then a default or
    45 is a number I chose because that's what I normally use in my own work. If, for example, you have a 25fps video and you want to have it fade in over 2 seconds, then rather than writing 45 you'd write 50. Black is the default but you can have it fade into or out of any color you like. It's thoroughly explained in the Fade link I provided last time.

No one is going to do the work for you. To receive help you have to show you're meeting us more than half way. Read, read, and then read some more. Read the docs included in the DGMPGDec package. Read the New to AviSynth – Start Here section at the AviSynth Main Page. Read the AviSynth section at the Anime Music Video site. Read up on the available built in AviSynth filters and how to use them, and read up on the third party filters you might use and learn how to use them. Experiment. Make AVS files and try to open them in VDub (File->Open Video File). If you get an error message you can't figure out, ask here, always being sure to provide the complete script and the complete error message. If there's a video with which you could use some help, provide a VIDEO sample. Usually 10 seconds is enough.

Yes, the audio can be faded at the same time. Just understand that using AviSynth means reencoding. If you put the audio into the script, it'll be decompressed to WAV audio. I sometimes do audio fades in the script. More often I do them in Audacity (a WAV Editor). Make sure you understand the concept of frameserving. It took me a long time to learn what that meant. Before that 'AHA!' moment, I was clueless, confused, and feeling very stupid.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    You show 45 frames which is then a default or
    You could try reading the manual. It tells you exactly what the fade filters do.

Please give a path to where the code goes.
    It goes where you need it to go.

Read the manual.

Code:
    clip = trim(...).FadeIn(30)
    And yes I may have to experiment with that once it saves.
    Don't waste time saving. Just open your script in VirtualDub or a media player and verify it does what you want. Once you've got the script working properly you compress the video.

This is another noob question but both audio and video fade in with this AVISynth style? Audio is not a separate job as I have seen in some program notes.
    Once again, this is spelled out in the manual.

Start -> All Program -> AviSynth -> AviSynth Documentation

or:

http://www.avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/
    http://www.avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/corefilters/fade.htm
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, there's something wrong with your computer. Ruining the video just to accommodate your current computer ill advised. But it's your video so do what you want with it.

50p on a 60p monitor will display 10 tiny jerks every second. Most people won't even be able to see that. Reducing the video to 25p (discarding every other frame) will result in less smooth motion, a bit of flicker, and you will get 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown judder. Reducing it to 24p will will give less smooth motion, a bit of flicker, and 3:2 pulldown judder. But it will also cause a visible (depending on the shot) jump once a second because an extra frame is removed.

Changing the topic slightly I could ask of the newer renderers for things like Potplayer would smooth out the 50 fp on my old monitor and motherboard.
    Just do the experiments yourself.
    Did it. Trying to control all the variables, two of these large files which came from the same source (the 50p ones) play well in Potplayer with Madshi renderer. Loading the same file in VLC gave the problem. This just for anybody who might be interested. No need to invoke the Diety or anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have an old computer with a 3.1 GHz Athlon 2 X2 255 CPU. It has no trouble playing your sample video with VLC, MPCHC, or WMP. The only way I could get it to screw up was with VLC and forced deinterlacing with Yadif 2x -- then it got very jerky. But one would expect that since the computer is then trying to play the video at 100 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Today I looked at the wiki for AVISynth. It answered the big question of audio doing the fade with
    the video. The wiki also shows a lot of code and dealing with frames versus time codes.

Before making asking a lot of questions, is there any developed how- to that starts with installing
    AVI Synth properly? Just that.

I understand from the wiki that fadeInFadeOut exists as an option in the program.

I've prepared my piece which needs the fade in and fade out and I edited it with extra time
    on the front end and the back to accomplish the fade first from black and then to black.

Advise if I should start a new thread here or if that guide I mentioned exists.

For today I'm just going to get the AVISynth at VH and put it on.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You're asking for instructions on how to install AviSynth?

You can't download it and then click on the EXE? Maybe a YouTube tutorial will help:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=avisynth+install
    Quote Quote  
  18. I've found .exe files before.
    There was a notation about also getting Net Framework 2 (64 is the one I dl'ed)
    and my question here is there an install order for AVISynth to find the net framework.

I may have gone through this years ago but forgot. I certainly haven't used or tried to use it
    since the May 2016 date it shows of release at Videohelp. As I recall I stumbled through a lot of errors because of it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm not aware of AviSynth needing .NET in general. Just download and install "AviSynth_260.exe" (it is 32 bit, there is no "official" 64 bit AviSynth).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yeah, install 32 bit AviSynth, you don't need anything Net for AviSynth, although a number of third party filters need this and that.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Two times I tried to download and install and two times Win 7 said 'failed to install correctly".

Easy for you to say but not for me. I used the first selection at VH. The file that unpacked said Avisynth+

I will check the AVI Synth homepage to see if there is any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  22. AviSynth+ is not AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Last bit for today.

I got past the install error by running as Administrator.

The screen shot shows everything in the newly made avisynth+ folder.

I see only uninstall .exes.

I'm not trying to be thick as you seem to think. How do you at least get it going?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	avisynth.png
Views:	110
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	41438  

Quote Quote  
  24. That's what downloads. I'm not making this up for some extra browbeating and lack of effective answer.
    Why make it like pulling teeth?

Is there a direct link to get the right AVIsynth?
    Quote Quote  
  25. It's linked more than 10 times on this page alone....
    Quote Quote  
  26. If you can't figure out how to find and install AviSynth you'll never be able to actually use it. I recommend you just give up now.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you can't figure out how to find and install AviSynth you'll never be able to actually use it.
    I'm inclined to agree but...

Being a glutton for punishment, I'll carry on for a while longer yet.

Download AviSynth 2.60 and install it.

Make an AVS: First, maybe make a text file. Call it Version.txt. Rename the extension as .avs so it then becomes Version.avs. Ignore any warning Windows gives you. Open the Version.avs in Notepad or whatever you usually use to open text files. If given a choice of what to use to open AVS files, choose to always open them using Notepad or whatever so you don't have to go through it again.

Inside that Version.avs put one simple line:

Version()

Save it and open Version.avs in VDub (File->Open video file).

If it opens and you see some text showing what version of AviSynth you installed, then you have installed AviSynth successfully. Congratulations!

Or not.
    Quote Quote  
  28. You could download MeGUI and upzip and run it. Use the File/Open menu to open a file, index it and get MeGUI to create a script for encoding. It's one way to begin learning Avisynth because while MeGUI's Script Creator will create scripts for encoding without the user needing any Avisynth knowledge, you're also free to edit and modify them. MeGUI requires dot net framework 4.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have MeGUI on here but haven't used it. I can do whatever updates it needs. Toolnix
    has been a good program for what I've done so far just in time based editing into to files.

Since a script is a text file are there samples of a fade in script from the beginning
    of the piece over short duration? That might give me a start.

I'm also going to look at AVIUtil again since using Goldwave for years, I can see
    how the interface may be easier to understand.

Thanks for tip.
    Quote Quote  
  30. If you're not going to study the AviSynth Fade page which shows how to do what you just asked, or learn what's already been shown to you in this thread, then what's the point of continuing? Much of the time you can ignore that 'clip' stuff the filter pages mention.

I'll try again. Say, you have a 23.976fps video and want to Fade In over a 2-second period, then:

FadeIn0(48)###48 frames=2 seconds of video

You just need your source filter before that line to open the video. The source filter you use depends on the kind of video it is. Many can also handle audio. If you're not adding the audio with your video source filter, there are separate audio source filters as well. I always work with WAV audio and use the built in WAVSource filter for that. An easy example with the lossless AVIs (using AVISource to open them) and separate WAV audio I use might be:

A=AVISource("Movie.avi")
    B=WAVSource("Movie.wav")
    #B=B.DelayAudio(-0.250)
    AudioDub(A,B)

AudioDub adds the audio to the video. You can do lots of things to the audio. You'll see a commented out (not used because of the '#' before it) line adding an audio delay. You can add your Fade line after that and both the video and audio will be faded in. Or let MeGUI create the basic script with audio and then edit it to add in your fade in. That was a good suggestion hello_hello made - to let MeGUI do some of the heavy lifting until you can do it on your own.
    Last edited by manono; 30th Apr 2017 at 14:59.
    Quote Quote