VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    First up: copy-of-a-copy, or worse. At minimum, it's 3rd generation. The signal is so marginal that playing it back through the DMR-ES25 multiple times results in different frames being recovered/corrupted each time.

The HS-HD2000U has two S-Video outputs. The two files labelled "Play #1" were captured simultaneously from one playback of the tape, then "Play #2" another, etc.

The samples are all encoded with Ut Video, except for the Digital8 which is DV direct-stream-copy.

Later: more from this tape, another tape, and more devices.

Notes

Panasonic DMR-ES25
    - Has flashes of partial black fields. Caused by inconsistent VSYNC detection, I guess.

Panasonic DMR-ES15
    - Also has those black flashes, albeit not on the exact same fields despite being fed "exactly the same" signal.

Sony RGR-GX300 (a newcomer for me)
    - Horrible horizontal jitter with this tape, and in other parts there is crazy-bad flagging.

JVC HM-DH5U
    - Internal playback has flagging throughout most of the tape.
    - External input has flagging too.
    - When it can't cope with VSYNC, it often takes one field and interpolates it to fill the frame. When it gives up, it drops to black. Ex: frames 52, 74, 125 of the external capture; f20, 52, 74 of the internal. See attached JPG.

Sony DCR-TRV340
    + No flagging
    + No black flashes.
    - There is vertical jitter.
    - There are obvious DV compression issues at times, where the image breaks up into large blocky segments. These are mainly, but not exclusively, caused by recording stop-start and unrecorded portions. Weird glitch with Sony's encoder chip, or what? This artifact appears twice in Nth Gen clip 2.

Philips DVDR3575H
    + No flagging.
    + No black flashes.
    - Horizontal correction in Nth Gen clip 1 is worse than DCR-TRV340.
    - Drops to blue-back when it decides the signal is too low.
    (Davideck, who I personally trust the most as a TBC sage, said that the 3575 beats the Toshiba RD-KX50, for whatever that's worth. He never tested the DMR-ES15.)

Panasonic DMR-E20 is closer to DVDR3575H than it is to DMR-ES15 or 25? Gonna have to compare more in other scenes...
    - Color flicker in Nth Gen clip 2.

XCard (direct from VCR)
    - Bad flagging throughout most of the tape.
    - One or more "inserted" frames every few seconds.
    - Horizontally unstable, throughout.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nth Gen [Play #4] - HS-HD2000U =YC= HM-DH5U _ f152.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	41060  

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Brad; 22nd Jul 2021 at 19:19. Reason: Added Nth Gen clip 2; 2021 more formatting
    Quote Quote  
  2. Of all the samples, the DCR-TRV340 seems to be the best. I have a DCR-TRV740. Never thought of using it as a pass through.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the tip on using Digital 8 camcorders as a line TBC pass-thrus. It works amazingly good but I wonder if it'll create audio video sync issues like the ADVC300 because I remember this camcorder did cause some audio video sync issues on some 8mm tapes captured through the DV jack of the camcorder. Hence I switched to CCD-TRVs Hi8 camcorders.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for posting the samples. Using Type-1 in WinDV fixed audio sync issues I had.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the tip. I will use Type 1 for all my captures now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Later: more from this tape, another tape, and more devices.
    As promised, I've added another clip from this tape to post #1. Still more to come later. If you're interested in this comparison, add a comment so I know I should prioritize it.

Screenshots of some Digital8 AVDV conversion artifacts:

Interpolation of field to fill frame.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital8 interpolation - Nth Gen [Play #4] - DCR-TRV340.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	41393

Weirdness during recovery from unrecorded portion of tape (these are the separated fields). The green and magenta dots remind me of chroma siting diagrams.

Name:	Digital8 chroma dots, field 1 - Nth Gen [Play #4] - DCR-TRV340.png
Views:	1595
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	41394 Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital8 chroma dots, field 2 - Nth Gen [Play #4] - DCR-TRV340.png
Views:	1653
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	41395

I measured the blocks in this frame as being 32x24. No idea what that corresponds to.

Name:	Digital8 32x24 block corruption - Nth Gen [Play #4] - DCR-TRV340.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	41396
    Quote Quote  
  7. I found a big disadvantage using a camcorder as line TBC pass through. The RCA mini jack adapter produces a lot of background noise. Even though the picture quality is very good, the sound has noticeable background hiss.
    Quote Quote