VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently I recorded my 15 hour journey using dashcam. ( It recorded 3 mins videos, I merged them all and now it is 15 hour long ).

It is mp4 file, 30fps , 1080p . I want to make a timelapse video of this, say I want to convert this journey video to 15-20mins.

I am on windows 8, ( I have mint, kubuntu, elemantry os on virtual box ). Please suggest a way to do this. Free software possibly

I don't have any expensive software like Adobe Premiere, Vegas etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do it with avisynth: SelectEvery(60).AssumeFPS(30)

You can also do it in Virtualdub or Aviutl. All are free.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks racer-x, I have AVISynth and AvsPmod.

I am unable to use it. I tried to load my mp4 file but it expects only avi files ( am I right on this? ). Then I figured out I need to use 'FFmpegSource'
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FAQ_loading_clips#How_do_I_load_MP4.2FMKV.2FM2TS.2FEVO_into_AviSynth.3F

VirtualDub I have no idea. But I can download if that works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub works just fine, you''ll need the ffmpeg input driver to load your mp4. Then click Video > Frame Rate (Ctrl+R) and use the settings I highlighted in red...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vdub_fps.png
Views:	566
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	33987  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks racer-x, this is doing what I wanted. Here is the problem it is creating huge files.

With this setting my 167mb mp4 file becomes ~400mb AVI file. I am getting timelapse look though.

Now, if I try to convert my 15hours , 43GB mp4 video it says, it will create 72GB AVI file. I expect we are having less frames in the new video so it should be actually smaller, then what is happening here.

UNABLE TO UPLOAD IMAGE

Here is imgur link:

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/0dVplyZ.png
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you set the output format? If not, it will be a default RGB format and create a huge file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Output format? I have no idea about this
    How can we do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click Video > Compression (Ctrl+P) and choose from the list of your compression codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks racer-x, you are immense help to me.

This is what I am using after your suggestion:

[Attachment 34000 - Click to enlarge]

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/74sXRZe.png

Now, I have 13 minutes video , 1.11 GB ( Original 15hours 17minutes => 45.3GB )

Original Codec ( saw this in VLC player )
    [Attachment 34002 - Click to enlarge]

VirtualDub compression used:
    [Attachment 34003 - Click to enlarge]

Is that fine? Or can I compress the file even more without losing much of the video quality? ( Or may be there is a software which can take this 1.11GB file ( 13mins ) and convert it to smaller file, but not that much degraded quality? )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It all depends on what you want your final format to be? There are a lot of options, some easy and some difficult.

Easy would be installing x264_vfw codec. Chose that and set CRF=20. I don't like this because it puts AVC in an avi container.

Dificult, but much better is to use the "External Encoder feature: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367446-Virtualdub-External-Encoder-feature
    Quote Quote