VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I really don't understand why Movavi Video Converter 15 will only work with Cuda acceleration on a GEForce 645 with a driver version 340 or earlier.
    Can't upgrade.
    What I surmise is that this is a limitation only for the 645 and other cards support updated drivers--am I right?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are certainly later drivers available for the 654 cards (up to 350.12) -- you're saying movavi won't recognize them?

What is your OS? Are you on a laptop -- CUDA was only ever supported on 645M?
    Last edited by smrpix; 13th May 2015 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    There are certainly later drivers available for the 654 cards (up to 350.12) -- you're saying movavi won't recognize them?

What is your OS? Are you on a laptop -- CUDA was only ever supported on 645M?
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I'm on Win 8.1 and I'm quite aware there are updated drivers, but if you install them with version 15 Cuda will not be available. When you go through installation of Movavi Video Converter 15 you get a message stating that your driver is not compatible (assuming you have the latest Nvidia drivers) and that you would have to use a previous old driver. I find this weird and counter intuitive!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ameneses54 View Post
    I'm on Win 8.1 and I'm quite aware there are updated drivers, but if you install them with version 15 Cuda will not be available. When you go through installation of Movavi Video Converter 15 you get a message stating that your driver is not compatible (assuming you have the latest Nvidia drivers) and that you would have to use a previous old driver. I find this weird and counter intuitive!
    Nvidia removed support for their CUDA encoder after a certain driver revision (don't remember which one), they wanted to emphasize their new NVENC chip found in Maxwell's
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ameneses54 View Post
    I really don't understand why Movavi Video Converter 15 will only work with Cuda acceleration on a GEForce 645 with a driver version 340 or earlier.
    Can't upgrade.
    What I surmise is that this is a limitation only for the 645 and other cards support updated drivers--am I right?
    NVIDIA deprecated the old interface a long time ago.

That some software companies decided to fully ignore that and not to go upgrade to the newer interface says more about those companies than NVIDIA.

Furthermore their webpage is blatantly misleading with respect to CUDA support.

I would definitely avoid Movavi and their "recommendation" to use an older driver.

Quote Quote  
  6. If nothing else you are doing requires the newer drivers, and newer drivers cripple the software you need -- you can always just stay with the older drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wonder - does Movavi Video Converter detect the driver only during its installation or every time it starts? If only during its installation maybe you should first clean install NVIDIA drivers that the program requires, then the program, then you copy all required CUDA libraries from your Windows folders (find out which ones by comparing names from the links I gave you in my first post) to some safe place, then you install the newest for your card NVIDIA drivers, then you copy/register the libraries you saved from yours safe place back to your Windows folders. Why would you use the libraries from the very recommended by producer of Movavi Video Converter NVIDIA driver and not the ones downloaded from internet? Because hopefully the program checks only their version and not whole driver version.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did as instructed on the links and the Cuda icon reappeared with the Movavi software.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I would definitely avoid Movavi and their "recommendation" to use an older driver.
    They say they support CUDA. They support CUDA. In what way is that misleading?

http://www.movavi.com/suite/requirements.html
    Conversion speed acceleration requires an IntelŽ processor with IntelŽ HD Graphics second generation (or higher) support or an NVIDIAŽ CUDA™-enabled graphic card

The Nvidia drivers I'm using are dated Feb 2012. Unless you're a gamer the latest drivers aren't likely to do anything for you in respect to performance. They may even introduce bugs. Or the newer NVENC encoder API, of course.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 13th May 2015 at 14:35. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    They don't, NVCUVENC is deprecated, it is no longer available!

You can only get those drivers from sites that store them illegally.
    So is that your idea of "support"?

If they want to support CUDA they need to use the new interface. They had ample time to do so but they chose not to, a bad decision on their part.

Call a spade a spade!

Quote Quote  
  11. Just for the record: neither the old nor the new encoder use Cuda, they both are 'just' interfaces to the a dedicated encoder chip.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Just for the record: neither the old nor the new encoder use Cuda, they both are 'just' interfaces to the a dedicated encoder chip.
    Correct
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    They don't, NVCUVENC is deprecated, it is no longer available!
    Neither is XP, so if I produce software and state it'll run on XP am I being misleading if it won't run on Win8?

CUDA is supported if you have a video card and drivers that support it. I could download the software and encode with CUDA today as I have both. I feel so mislead.....
    The new Nvidia encoder API/interface is called NVENC. It's not CUDA. NVENC enabled video cards have only been around for a couple of years. Even my old 8600GT supports CUDA. The way I understand it, CUDA is capable of "general" computing and was used for h264 encoding. NVENC is dedicated to h264 encoding. Even if both methods used a dedicated encoder chip, that doesn't make NVENC the same thing as CUDA. If the software in question was capable of using NVENC I couldn't use it with my video card as it only supports CUDA.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk
    Because of its improved performance and quality, NVIDIA is focusing all future video encoding development on NVENC, which is the dedicated encoding hardware engine first added in Kepler family of GPUs. NVIDIA no longer supports NVCUVENC, which was the CUDA-based video encoder library. NVENC is replacing the earlier CUDA software-based NVCUVENC driver module.

You can only get those drivers from sites that store them illegally.
    So is that your idea of "support"?
    Is offering old drivers "illegal" or is that you sensationalising again?
    The last CUDA enabled drivers (ie GeForce 337.48) are available from Nvidia here.

If they want to support CUDA they need to use the new interface. They had ample time to do so but they chose not to, a bad decision on their part.

Call a spade a spade!
    When you understand the distinction between CUDA and NVENC, you can call a spade a shovel if you like.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 14th May 2015 at 13:14. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote