VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking to Author some SD Interlaced footage onto a Blu-ray and i notice the option have it encode progressive. My big thing is, i don't want to see the lines caused by some interlaced footage. Should i Deinterlace the footage and then put it through the progressive encoding of TMPGENC, or i should i leave the footage interlaced and then have it go through the progressive encoding of TMPGENC. Also, Should i be deinterlacing at all? Thoughts Please.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it's SD interlaced content , then leave it interlaced . Your TV setup can handle it and will deinterlace it - you won't see "lines"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dereksimonetti View Post
    I am looking to Author some SD Interlaced footage
    I won't even try to guess what kind of footage it is, except for you saying that it's interlaced. If it's telecined, you can't deinterlace anyway.

Which TMPGEnc product are you using?

Standard definition "regulation" BluRay isn't progressive. It's either interlaced or telecined.
    The general BD specs: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    The details on BD encoding for HD-MPEG and h264: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533
    BluRay/AVCHD can be encoded with either MPEG or h264.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Short version: the answer is still the same - keep it interlaced. You won't see "lines".

Even if the content is progressive (e.g. a theatrical movie at 24p), you need to encode it interlaced, because of BD restrictions (the signal has to be interlaced). There are a SD progressive encoding variant that is flagged interlaced, and a pulldown variant, but those are not supported universally by all players. The "safest" thing to do is encode it interlaced . Note those are options for progressive CONTENT, that output an interlaced signal (it's analogous to DVD)

If you have interlaced CONTENT (e.g. a home video), then you have to encode it interlaced. You could deinterlace it, but to keep the smooth motion you need to double rate deinterlace to 59.94p. That is illegal for SD resolution. Only 720p59.94 is allowed. So you would have to upscale it. Or you could single rate deinterlace it and throw away 1/2 the data to 29.97p, but that needs to be encoded interlaced, or encoded progressive with the "fake" interlace flag. (Usually nobody wants to throw away 1/2 the data)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    The alternative is to properly deinterlace it and play it with a HTPC, that way you avoid all those "brilliant and well thought out" BD and DVD standards.

Deinterlace and upscale with a good deinterlacer like the QTGMC deinterlacing AviSynth script and use SplineResize for upscaling!

While quite a few people claim that LCD TVs are masters at deinterlacing and upscaling I would advice you to take that with a grain of salt. Many people seem to be motivated to immediately downplay any shortcomings related to DVDs and Blu-ray disks and their respective standards.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And some others seem ready to downplay (deflect) their shortcomings in understanding of standards.

Very often one obtains better quality to leave it alone til the end (display) than to convert and re-encode. Plus, you keep it more universally compatible.

Scott
    Quote Quote