VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and I may be asking the dumbest question ever - but is it possible to rip the audio from a dvd only from the rear channels?

I like the instrumental score at the end of an episode of the tv show "Angel" and have wanted to rip it for so long - I know on the dvd there are different audio channels because the actor's voices are dubbed in English, French, and Spanish, so does that mean the background music audio exists seperately in it's own channel? And if so, can I rip that?

I know I have encountered score rips from movies before, and I'm not sure if this is possible, but could someone please please help me figure out how to do this? I'd be so grateful!

Brad
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    first welcome to the forum.

it may be possible but not a straightforward exercise. first you'd need to make sure the dvd has ac-3 6ch audio. then unprotect and rip the dvd to your hard drive. anydvd or dvdfab will probably be needed for a commercial dvd. then maybe use vob2mpeg to convert the dvd vobs to a single mpeg-2 video file. demux the audio out of that. take the ac-3 6ch into an audio editor and delete all 4 other channels that you don't want, save the rear channels back out as a separate audio file in mp3 or wav.

it might be a bit easier to just check the end credits for the musician listed and find it that way.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the welcome!

And also thanks for the fast reply. You said to make sure it has ac3 6 channel audio - before I follow all of these steps how do I verify that? It is just a tv show release. Angel the first season.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    either the dvd box or try mediainfo on one of the main vobs - they are about 1gb in size.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I open the DVD in handbrake it only has ac3 and one track listed. I'm not sure of I know what I'm looking at but I kind of think it isn't mixed with 6 channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bradg84 View Post
    I know on the dvd there are different audio channels because the actor's voices are dubbed in English, French, and Spanish, so does that mean the background music audio exists seperately in it's own channel?
    Probably the background music does not exist as its own channel(s). I expect the the dubbed voices to be re-mixed with sound f/x tracks in the studio, then saved as multiple full audio tracks. The channel layout could have the music and actor's voices separate, but there is no benefit to do so, as three audio tracks are needed.

Edit: just found this info:
    "Angel: Season One (1999-2000), R1 America, Fox, Soundtrack(s): English Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround"
    It appears these DVDs do not have six channel (5.1) audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for your help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of using
    Filters to quiet the dialogue, then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bradg84 View Post
    Thank you so much for your help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of using
    Filters to quiet the dialogue, then?