VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, i liked ffmpeg, but i have a problem. When i try to add Russian or Hebrew subtitles to film they want work they just show strang latters, i know that i can play hebrew subtitles in mplayer.

And can you add to ffmpeg fix punctuation tool (will make ".i'm a rabbit" to "i'm a rabbit.").
    Quote Quote  
  2. For now Russian text encoding is not supported, but I'll add it to the to-do list.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is Hebrew supported?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Okay, I found the "ArialHebrew" font selection, and used iso 8859-8 encoding which is hebrew.

But the letters are reversed. Hebrew is written from right to left, unlike English.

Has ANYONE managed to use an RTL language with ffmpefx?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I suppose the SRT file should contain itself inversed text, in order to display it as such?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, there's some sort of a de-facto standard in these things, and the way hebrew srt files exist today is they way they should stay.
    In VLC or Movie Time! or any video playback application in Windows, the subtitles are displayed perfectly.

Perhaps this should be a bug or feature request? If encoding is for an RTL language (Hebrew, Arabic, a few others...), the text should be presented in reverse.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > And can you add to ffmpeg fix punctuation tool (will make ".i'm a rabbit" to "i'm a rabbit.")

I use a text editor for punctuation and spelling checks. In fact I drop a srt into an excel file to identify timing problems like overlaps, titles that appear and disappear too quickly, or even gaps that are consistently and unnecessarily large, etc.

I think we need a whole different app for editing subtitles too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I see ArialHebrew, but I don't see 8859-8. It actually skips from 7 to 9. Is hebrew supported?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by philipt18
    I don't see 8859-8.
    It is on the list. Just not between 8859-7 and 8859-9. Look a bit further (28 items) down.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to add more than 1 selectable subtitle? ie. None, language1, language2, ... , language n.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kj6loh
    Is it possible to add more than 1 selectable subtitle? ie. None, language1, language2, ... , language n.
    Not in current versions, unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to burn a mp4 to DVD with subtitles. No matter which I choose mpeg2enc of ffmpeg, I don't get the full audio track (music and narration only (the narration also sounds strange, voice deepens and slows), no voices when an actor speaks). But when I go mp4 to AVI, I get the full audio. So I know I'm not choosing the wrong audio track.
    Quote Quote