VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi friends !
    i can't reply to the original post, it is locked, don't know why...
    ok, here, in Argentina, the southamerican indians, we speak in spanish. most people can a little of english. in my case, i can understand and people can understand my rudimentary english, i speak a good german, and a little portugese. i think that the b) part of this thread (about language) is well explained.
    please, let's go to the a) part, about this violet-faced DVD's. Could anybody know if that kind of media may "contribute to the demise of the laser diodes" ? anybody heard this myth ???
    thanks a lot for your help (and, of course, comprehension with this bda-english-writer-indian). btw, i'm a HE, not SHE.
    best regards,
    nachomur
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I seriously doubt that any DVD (if it's not made from abrasive paper, in which case I don't think it can be called a DVD at all...) can cause your DVD reader/writer any harm.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. If it is poorly written, with errors, it could cause strain on the laser/lens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you elaborate? To me, it sounds even more remote than that a poorly written book (full of misspelled words and bad grammar) could strain my eyes.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can help elaborate for you. But first, there is a difference between violet die and a DVD with a lot of errors. DVD's with a lot of burn errors can wear out your drive faster than media without errors, this is because the drive must refocus and change the power of the laser to try to rescan the area (sometimes occurring hundreds of times depending on how bad the disc is). This is just not true of violet die. As long as there are a minimum of errors, the drive will be just fine reading the disc. I have used violet die Riteks for a long time now and have never had problems with any of my drives.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jarvis1781
    I can help elaborate for you. But first, there is a difference between violet die and a DVD with a lot of errors. DVD's with a lot of burn errors can wear out your drive faster than media without errors, this is because the drive must refocus and change the power of the laser to try to rescan the area (sometimes occurring hundreds of times depending on how bad the disc is). This is just not true of violet die. As long as there are a minimum of errors, the drive will be just fine reading the disc. I have used violet die Riteks for a long time now and have never had problems with any of my drives.

Hope that helps.
    Now that sounds logical
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The color of the dye has no bearing on the quality of burns and errors,it's all in the quality of the dye to start with and how well the burner can burn it.

Made in japan dvdr are usually the best to buy,I remember when a few years ago people claimed that the darker dye on cds were the best.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote