VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay guys, I am lost. I need to install aegisub on my Macbook, but the support is quite poor and I just don't know what to do. Nothing seems to work and I am probably too unexperienced to do this Installation.
    I am getting along very well with a lot of programs but things like working with the terminal or installing aegisub are beyond my capacities, hrhrmm.

I didn't want to post it in the subtitle forum as this is a Mac issue.

So, here's the guide for installing aegisub on UNIX-systems.

http://malakith.net/aegiwiki/Unix_Instructions

Basically my problem is that
    1. I don't know which of the binaries/packages I have already installed on the Mac to begin with and
    2. I have no idea how to install those packages once I have downloaded them, as they all come in folders with thousands of files and... reading the 'INSTALL' file doesn't help a thing as it just redirects me to another document and so it goes on and on.

So I would kindly beg you to help me find my way through this guide as I think otherwise I will never be able to make it work.
    If there's anyone out there who could help me, please let me know and I am going to give further information.
    Thanks for your time

Anna
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have the Developer Tools installed ? If you don't and also don't have any experience of /enjoy using Terminal then you should probably forget aegisub unless someone knocks up an OS X binary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's apparently automatic SVN builds here: http://buildbot.aegisub.org/waterfall
    ...but use them at your own risk. Also, since they're built from SVN, they're not necessarily stable.

(Edit: And most of the (recent) Darwin builds appear to have 'failed build' or failed configure messages, too. That doesn't sound good.)

(...another edit, later that same day...: Maybe you could also try running a Windows build with one of the recent builds of Darwine, if you're using an Intel Mac. I can't experiment with that, myself, as I'm using an older PPC Mac.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ffooky
    Do you have the Developer Tools installed ? If you don't and also don't have any experience of /enjoy using Terminal then you should probably forget aegisub unless someone knocks up an OS X binary.
    Hmm, sorry, developer tools, what do you mean? I downloaded (some) of the packages that are listed on the page of the guide, but as I haven't even figured out how to install THOSE, I haven't downloaded the aegisub 'program' yet. Or what are you talking about? Sorry, I am new to this and english isn't my first language, so I am sometimes confused by the apparent meaning of expressions like this.

Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    (...another edit, later that same day...: Maybe you could also try running a Windows build with one of the recent builds of Darwine, if you're using an Intel Mac. I can't experiment with that, myself, as I'm using an older PPC Mac.)

Hmm, okay what exactly should I do to try it, then? What builts of Darwine are you talking about, is that even possile? I have never heard of a WIN program running on a Mac OS. (but then again I don't have much experience xD)
    And yes, I have an Intel.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anicsi
    Hmm, sorry, developer tools, what do you mean? I downloaded (some) of the packages that are listed on the page of the guide, but as I haven't even figured out how to install THOSE, I haven't downloaded the aegisub 'program' yet. Or what are you talking about? Sorry, I am new to this and english isn't my first language, so I am sometimes confused by the apparent meaning of expressions like this.
    Hmm, okay what exactly should I do to try it, then? What builts of Darwine are you talking about, is that even possile? I have never heard of a WIN program running on a Mac OS. (but then again I don't have much experience xD)
    And yes, I have an Intel.

Thanks for your help
    Darwine is an attempt to provide an environment for Windows programs to run under OS X (without actually switching to or installing Windows), combining the Linux WINE with the QEMU emulator. It's not perfect, though (WINE certainly isn't, yet, so Darwine can't be).

Since you're a relative newcomer, your best bet, really, would be to find the nearest Windows system and run Aegisub on that, rather than attempt to get Darwine or one of the Mac builds to work.
    If you are interested in trying to get Darwine to work, I can't help, much - I don't have an Intel Mac, so I haven't been able to try it, myself.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you have enough HD space you could install the Release Candidate of Windows 7 with VirtualBox.
    Quote Quote