VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I need some advices into performing this operation: copy a few of my vcds into dvd discs.
    Scenario:
    1. I have a few movie vcds. Each VCD has MPEGAV folder with .dat files inside.
    2. I have a standalone Philips dvd player with divx capabitlity hooked to my tv.
    3. I have a few dvd+rs dics 4.7GB each.
    Since a dvd disc is 4.7 GB, I can theoretically write a few vcds into 1dvd disc - saves space huh?
    = Tried: Burnt dat files into the dvd+R disc as data disc. Result: DVD player cannot play the dat file.
    = Not yet tried: rename .dat file into .mpg file and copy into dvd disc. Result: Not tried yet...seems the easiest way out. Can some1 advise me whether this will play?
    = Tried: Burnt .avi file as data disc into dvd+r. Result: DVD player can play avi file. But I do not have any such converter, I just tried a random avi file to test whether my dvd player can play and it does.

I hope the experts can provide me a few available options that would best meet my needs.
    Thanks a lot.
    Input: VCD dat file
    Output: DVD player can play above movie from my dvd+r disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick's got a nice guide for ripping VCD (DAT) to an mpg file, using Isobuster:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic141726.html

After that, you can use ConvertXtoDVD or DVD Flick to author to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks filmboss80,
    I followed your advice and tried isoBuster but it results in a 0 kb mpg file and that does not solve my problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try the old vcdgear.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As Baldrick says, use vcdgear to convert your *.DAT files to *.MPG files. You should be able to burn those to DVD and have your DVD player play them. It works on my Philips DVP-642.

It might work if you rename the files from *.DAT to *.MPG and don't use vcdgear, but I've never tried that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    As Baldrick says, use vcdgear to convert your *.DAT files to *.MPG files.
    That's the best way.

All free software:
    Then use SVCD2DVDMPG to convert these to DVD-compatible files and author with GuiForDVDAuthor.

You can get over 400 minutes of VCD video on a DVD (8 or 10 VCD discs worth).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Correction: I am using an LG DVD player.
    Renamed to .mpg and copied as data disc=> Result: Cannot play.
    Renamed to .avi and copied as data disc=> Result: Can play, cannot forward, cannot rewind...
    I will try other methods and post my findings. Downloading VCDgear...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Used VCDGear to convert .dat to .mpg, burnt to disc=>Result: Cannot play.
    Used VCDGear to convert .dat to .mpg, renamed to .avi, burnt to disc=>Result: Can play, cannot forward, cannot rewind.
    From my experiments, my next qn is: Which s/w to use convert my .dat to a legitimate .avi?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Use AutoGK to convert to AVI. Please look at this sticky for some encoding options that are problems, so you should avoid all of these things:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html

Converting DAT to MPG should have worked. Your LG DVD player has firmware that was written by idiots. You might not want to buy from LG again in the future.

It should also be possible to convert VCD to DVD. We have many guides on doing this. Doing that does not require the video to be re-encoded, so there is no quality loss. However, you must change the audio from 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz. Again, we have guides on doing this. Look under the Conversions section for VCD to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    laval_ng - I just saw your similar thread here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic307076.html
    Please do NOT post to old threads here. If a thread hasn't had any new posts in at least 1 or 2 months, unless what you have to say is directly related to the thread, just post your questions in a new thread. For example, if someone asked in 2006 for a region unlock code for a DVD player and you know the code, it's OK to post that. But if you have problems/questions about something that was discussed a long time ago, please make a new post. We would really prefer that old posts be left along and people make new posts instead.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jman,
    You said "Look under the Conversions section for VCD to DVD" I have been looking:-
    1. but not much success, can you please paste a link that will help my quest?
    2: By converting VCD to DVD, will I be able to put 4 vcds (assuming 1 vcd is 1GB) into 1 dvd disc (4.7GB)?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I meant use the Format Conversion tab under Guides. Sorry. Look here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=VCD+...or+List+Guides
    This should be all of the VCD to DVD guides.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like you solved the first step, getting VCD dat to mpg. But how are you authoring to DVD? If you want the video to play correctly on your DVD player, you must make a DVD-compliant file. Merely copying mpg to a data disc will NOT do it. Did you try DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD? From your posts, it looks as though you did not do the necessary DVD authoring steps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by laval_ng
    Thanks jman,
    You said "Look under the Conversions section for VCD to DVD" I have been looking:-
    1. but not much success, can you please paste a link that will help my quest?
    2: By converting VCD to DVD, will I be able to put 4 vcds (assuming 1 vcd is 1GB) into 1 dvd disc (4.7GB)?
    Try reading the responses you already got above. Like my previous post, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You have a point filmboss80, but DVD players that support Divx playback do so in what is (for lack of a better term) called "file play mode". In this mode you can also play raw MPG files that are not formatted to DVD, VCD, SVCD specs (whichever is appropriate to the MPG file). My Philips DVD player does this. So if his LG player had decent firmware, he shouldn't have had to convert to DVD. This should have worked.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jman98: agreed about file play mode in divx supported players (I make plenty of xvid movies for my Philips player). But when the OP mentioned LG DVD player, I was not so sure, as no model number was given.

Not enough clarity about whether the ultimate goal is to make a universally playable DVD or a Divx/Xvid data DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    However, you must change the audio from 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz.
    Ok, I am now using VCD Gear + SVCD2DVD.
    How is the change from 44.1 to 48 done? Before the during conversion to mpg? After converted to mpg? Using VCDGear or using SVCD2DVD?

I think I am in the final steps now...Thanks so much
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by laval_ng
    How is the change from 44.1 to 48 done? Before the during conversion to mpg? After converted to mpg? Using VCDGear or using SVCD2DVD?
    As I said, I use SVCD2DVDMPG, (which is not the same as SVCD2DVD, but I assume that is similar).

Anyway, VCDGear doesn't convert audio.
    Quote Quote