VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thought I'd post my comments on this printer

Just installed it. I did a custom install and got rid of the crap I wouldn't need, so it's basically the drivers

I tried printing from Epson PrintOn CD software, but it will only print to the Epson printer

It comes with Roxio Express Labeler, but it will not let you resize the dimessions of the inner and outer diameters of the DVD/CD......it was promptly uninstalled

I printed directly from Photoshop and it printer correctly to a hub printable but not all the way out to 119mm. However I think that is my fault. I usually create everything at 117mm and then do a slight stretch in Epson software to make it fit...Looks like this is hard coded to the dimessions you have set in Photoshop.

Print quality isn't as good as Epson and I do see some slight streaking on a TY....However it's 5 times faster than Epson for printing.

Also this thing is a beast in size, with it's duplexer on the back too
    Another thing I like is the nice bottom holder for the CD/DVD tray...no more just lying around. It now has a built in storage spot...

More comments as I come across them
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just a couple more comments

If you print from Photoshop, it will print any size you specify. That means it will print over 119mm even if you DVD is only 119mm. It will also print to the very center if you have something there. Makes a real mess too. Had to clean the tray a couple of times. I then used my templates that I created and posted in the sticky thread about printable DVDs and their sizes and everything worked good

I tried to use Acoustica DVD labeling software but I couldn't get it to align right on the DVD. It kept printing about 4mm past where it was suppose too. I may give it another shot though. It lets you stretch the image like Epson's software does. I may have to cut out a bunch of paper discs to test on. I don't want to waste DVDs on testing (See coasters are good for somethings, but I used the last one)

HP seems to have the same problem with their tray ejecting out the front like Epson. I've had to manually slide the tray back in a couple of time now. Also I forgot how noising HP printers are....Geez you'd think they could come up with something that doesn't wake the nieghbors
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the SureThing CD/DVD Labeler software? I've used this software on Epson, HP, and Canon printers and like it very much. This is one software purchase that I don't regret. If you want to try it you can download a 15 day trial version from their website. There are several ways that you can load the CD/DVD tray on the HP. The first is to click on the print button in your CD/DVD printing software then load the tray once once you hear that the printer is trying to load the tray. The second is to preload the tray and push it in until the tray won't go back any further (Don't force it in) then start the printing from your CD/DVD label software. I generally use the latter method. I believe that I only had a problem with the tray ejecting only once, but I don't remember what method that I used to load the tray.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just don't like this printer as much as the Epson....It's a shame because it could have been an Epson killer based on price and ink costs.

I did some printing last night via Photoshop (the only way to get it centered perfect) and notice how bad the ink bleeds. Really bad at the top of the DVD and kinda bad at the bottom (I'll try to post some picts). The bad part is, it's using too much ink, but there is only one setting and that is "best"

It has a couple settings for DVDs, HP water shield and other. Under both settings you can only select best for printing.

If I return it, it'll cost me a 15% restocking fee at CC, but I may just return it and ask for another one to see if it's just a problem with this printer.

Edit:
    They're all sold out now...no stock in town or via their website
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never noticed any bleeding on disc's that I printed on my D5360. I will have to take a better look at them later. What brand of printable media are you using? I have been using Verbatim & TY's. In terms of the ink not lasting too long please note that the HP75 color ink cartridge that comes with the printer only contains 3.5ml of ink. Suggest getting the HP75XL (CB338W) high capacity cartridge which contains 12ml of ink (Going from memory so not exactly sure if it is 12ml, but it's around there). I just thought of something I only use the HP75 (Tri-Color) & HP99 (Photo-Color) cartridges in my printer (I don't use the HP74 Black) maybe this has something to do with the ink bleeding problem that you're experiencing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh I know that is just a starter ink cart...They're half empty already

My test for bleeding was yellow background with bold black text. Looks like CRAP (I'll try to post a pick tonight)

I was testing with TY print to hubs and later with self made paper discs (card stock)

Here is what I'm talking about. This is a CD I did with Yellow and Black.
    Yes you can see the distorted colors easy

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the file is not too large maybe you can email it to me so I can do a test print on my printer. I do have Photoshop CS.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by KTH
    If the file is not too large maybe you can email it to me so I can do a test print on my printer. I do have Photoshop CS.
    See up above

All my scans are done at 400dpi and are around 35-38mb for PSDs and TIFFs. I don't save in any other format usually. Yeah some say it's over kill, but I hate re-scanning and HDD space is cheap these days
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here is another CD that shows a little bit better how there is more black in on the top compared to the bottom
    The wrenkles were created with Alien Skin. The picts look almost exactly like the CD

Top of the CD

Bottom of the CD
    Quote Quote  
  10. Original (I did the screenshot the same way...not direct output from PS)

Here's what is looks like after printing and scanning. It actually looks worse than this pict

That should have been waisted
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well it doesn't do too good on my yellow/black test.
    You really can not change the print quality settings for DVDs (best is it)

However, after tweaking my Photoshop templates, and printing directly from Photoshop, it does a pretty good job.

I also make sure I use the same color space profile throughout the whole process of scanning/editing to printing. In my case, I found Adobe RGB 1998 to look the best across the board...including my monitor setup.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad you figured it out. Here are some scans of a test print that I did. I did this using SureThing CD Labeler Deluxe.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    kth - ok, so what settings do you use to print from surething to a cannon 4000 onto dvd? all the print settings i tried printed onto the wrong locations on the dvd.

cd-labelprint works fine with no change to default settings, but it's a pain in the ass to use.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by aedipuss
    kth - ok, so what settings do you use to print from surething to a cannon 4000 onto dvd? all the print settings i tried printed onto the wrong locations on the dvd.

cd-labelprint works fine with no change to default settings, but it's a pain in the ass to use.

I downloaded pretty much every labling program and came to one conclusion, just use your paint program. In my case that's Photoshop. In the past, I'd save the PSD, then a TIFF, and then the Epson labler file. Now I just save the PSD. Granted it's a little bit harder to get the exact size I want, since you can't stretch an image slightly, but I'm getting used to it.

I usually scan the label at 400dpi, and select 116mm for outside diameter and then work from there
    I resize my pict to the desired outside diameter, then I'll edit my pict
    I then copy and paste one of my templates as a new layer
    Then I print
    All within Photoshop, and now with just one file
    Quote Quote  
  15. Have you been able to tweak the settings on your Photosmart D5360 to eliminate the streaking? I just bought a Photosmart D7560, and encountered the same issue. The machine runs like a dream, but the quality of printing on DVD's is quite poor, when compared to my old Epson R200 (which is on its last legs). What's more, the rollers make five ugly scuff marks on the TY glossy Watershield disks I'm using. I'd like to know if you've been able to get pleasing results with your D5360, and how you did it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I noticed the same roller marks on my glossy disc too.

The streaking problem stopped as soon as I replaced the black cart with the multi 99 cart. I also use "other DVD media" for printing on matte finished discs. I use HP glossy for printing on TY glossies. No streaking using those settings.

No way to fix the roller problem, just a fact of the printing process
    Quote Quote  
  17. The Photosmart D7650 has a different type of cartridge array. As far as I can tell, there are no options other than the standard set or the extra-capacity set. There are five cartridges overall, including two different black cartridges: one for photo, one for text.

Besides making marks on the TY Watershield disks, the rollers also rip up the edge of the glossy coating, causing it to peel. Did you notice that, too? The printer is really fast, compared to the Epson, and I like that there's actually a slot to store the DVD tray.

If I didn't have experience with Epson quality, I might be happy with the HP. However, I'm tempted to return it and grudgingly get an Epson R280.
    Quote Quote  
  18. So far my printer hasn't caused any damage to DVDs or paper.

If your printer is causing damage to your discs, I'd return it, and fast!

I'll never go back to Epson R200 or R220. I don't know about the newer models, but the 2 I have, have let a real bad taste in my mouth.
    Quote Quote  
  19. My Epson R200 made me curse so many times, I vowed to never again buy an Epson. I've read reviews of the R280 from users who previously owned the R200, and all of them consider the newer machine a step backwards. The design has become clunkier. For example, it used to be that the CD tray was separate; it flipped down. Now there's only one tray; pull it out and insert it in a higher set of notches to print CD's. However, the printer won't initialize if the tray is in the CD position. One thing that has improved, it seems, is the nozzles don't clog so readily. (I swear, a third of the ink I used went to cleaning the nozzles!) The HP printer, on the other hand, seems more intelligently designed, and the ink is much cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Velcro Face
    The HP printer, on the other hand, seems more intelligently designed, and the ink is much cheaper.
    However, it's damaging your discs. I would return it.
    You can also still get the D5360
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/Q8361A%2523B1H
    Quote Quote  
  21. I've discovered that the driver for the D7560 offers three options for printing DVD's. The one for "HP Water-Resistant CD/DVD" seems to treat the Watershield disks gentler. It still gives me those scuff marks, but the coating doesn't peel. Looks like the HP is a keeper.
    Quote Quote  
  22. just fired up the d5360 for the first time, even though i bought it a few months ago. first off, acoustica doesn't know how to print labels on cds with this machine as posted above. totally botched.

i'd like to figure out how to do it in photoshop like you mention stiltman, but when i make my template using Discmaker's psd, i think the file is way too huge to print onto a cd for some reason;

where do i select it to scale properly?

http://duplication.discmakers.com/download/template-discsurface.zip

EDIT: got it working by clicking "scale to fit media" or whatever - but it ended up printing on the inner and outer rims of the disc. it looks much nicer than what acoustica did though, except it's got the roller marks and other noise. it seems like this type of printing is no good for solid full-on prints, but more things like what you'd do with a lightscribe, except more interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I use SureThing CD Labeler (http://www.surething.com/ST/). It has default settings for the HP PhotoSmart printers, which you can tweak. It does a great job on WaterShield disks... but you still have to live with the scuff marks caused by the rollers.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Velcro Face
    I use SureThing CD Labeler (http://www.surething.com/ST/). It has default settings for the HP PhotoSmart printers, which you can tweak. It does a great job on WaterShield disks... but you still have to live with the scuff marks caused by the rollers.
    ok giving this program another shot. i might've tried this one a few years ago but it looks like the program has come a long way. i tried some disc printing in it. after calibrating my printer, it still prints a bit on the edge of the disc. this is easily wiped off, but still a hassle. and it's less of a mess than what photoshop was doing.

do you have any tips to make sure it won't go all the way to the edge? the tricky part is the design i have really only looks good if it goes right to the edge.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by mrtunes
    do you have any tips to make sure it won't go all the way to the edge? the tricky part is the design i have really only looks good if it goes right to the edge.
    In SureThing CD Labeler, go to File | Page Setup... to fine-tune the size, bleed, start position, label span, and center hole dimensions. You can then save this as a template. Any time you need to apply these settings, simply select the template from the Edit menu. SureThing has come a long way!
    Quote Quote