VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This guide will show you how to make a mixed DVD, ripping video clips from different DVDs and then make a new mixed DVD with menus.

Tools required:
    DVD Shrink 3.1 (free)
    Rejig (you don't need to use rejig if you don't need menus)
    Tmpgenc DVD Author ($70, you don't need to use tmpgenc dvd author if you don't need menus, read this)

Steps:
    1. Rip all clips from the DVDs with DVD Shrink
    2. Make menus, author and burn with TMPGenc DVD Author
    3. No audio in Tmpgenc DVD Author, fix video clips
    4. Problems and Tips

1. Rip all clips from the DVDs with DVD Shrink
    Start DVD Shrink

1. Open Disk
    2. Select your DVD Drive
    (You can also open a DVD folder from your HD, select the Open files instead)

1. Click on Re-author
    2. Select the main movie and double click on it to add it to DVD Structure to the left (you could also select any Extra scenes, just select it under Extra and check in the preview window so you know what it is)
    3. Select the Title 1
    4. Click Set Start/End Frames
    5. Set the Start, where the clip should start
    6. Set the End, where the clip should end
    7. OK

1. Click on Compression Settings (be sure that Title1 is selected under the DVD Structure)
    2. Select only one AC3, WAV or MP2 audio track (TMPGenc DVD Author only supports one track so you don't need the others).
    3. Disable all subtitles (TMPGenc DVD Author doesn't support subtitles).
    If you want to keep DTS audio, several audio tracks or/and subtitles on your mixed DVD read this.

1. Click on Backup
    2. Select Hard Disk Folder
    3. Make a new folder
    4. Hit OK to rip, it will only take a few minutes or seconds.

Repeat these steps for all DVDs. Remember to make new a folder for each video clip when you Backup.

2. Make menus, author and burn with TMPGenc DVD Author
    Start TMPGEnc DVD Author and click on Create New Project. (If you don't need any menus you can skip this step, read this)

1. Select Add file
    2. Select the first clip you have fixed with rejig, and open the mpeg_video.m2v file
    (If TMPGEnc complaints about the bitrate just click Ignore)

1. Click on Browse under Audio
    2. Add the audio clip from the same folder, the ac3audio.ac3 file
    3. Hit OK

1. Click on Add new track
    2. Add the DVD Video for the other DVD video clip
    3. You can rename all tracks so you know what they are
    Repeat these steps for all video clips.

Make the menu as you want them.

1. Select an DVD Folder output folder
    2. Author

1. Burn

Done.

(3. No audio in Tmpgenc DVD Author, fix video clips)
    This step is only required if you don't get any audio when importing in TMPGEnc DVD Author
    DVD Shrink rips the audio incorrect so it MAY needs to be fixed for next step.
    Start Rejig
    Click On Ifo Mode
    1. Click add and open the first dvd folder you made with dvd shrink and select the VTS_01_0.VOB file under the VIDEO_TS folder
    2. Select both video and audio
    3. Select Demux video
    4. Select Correct AC3
    5. Select an output folder, you can use same as the input folder.
    6. Process and you will get an working video and audio file.

Repeat this step for all video clips folder you made with dvd shrink.

Problems and Tips
    I don't need menus can I skip TMPGEnc DVD author then?
    I want to keep DTS, several audio tracks or/and subtitles?

You could use DVD Shrink instead of TMPGEnc DVD Author to author but you wont get any menus. Rip all clips using DVD Shrink as usual but be sure to keep all audio tracks and subtitles. After you made all DVD clips with DVD Shrink select File->Close all open DVDs.
    1. Select Re-author again
    2. Select the first DVD clip folder you made
    3. Double click on the first Title1 to add it to the DVD Structure to the left, repeat this step for all your DVD clips.
    4. Hit Backup to burn the DVD

I want to keep DTS or/and several audio tracks or/and subtitles and menus?
    Then you must use an other authoring tool like Rip all video clips with DVD Shrink and then import the DVD folders with DVD-lab. Read the DVD-lab help for more information.

Can I shrink/reduce the file size of the video clips?
    Yep, just select the compression ratio when you rip with dvd shrink under Compression Settings.

TMPGEnc complaints about the bitrate when I add the video
    Just click Ignore.

Quote Quote  
  2. I have follow your guide and I get a "no audio" when I open the video on the Tmpgenc DVD author but when I play it on the HD with a DVD player it has audio. Help. This guide is really what I have been looking for a long time. Thanks and Help me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amadeira
    I have follow your guide and I get a "no audio" when I open the video on the Tmpgenc DVD author but when I play it on the HD with a DVD player it has audio. Help. This guide is really what I have been looking for a long time. Thanks and Help me.
    Try select select a chapter point as the start point(when you reauthor and set the start end frames) and see if it works. You can after that cut exactly what you want with tmpgenc dvd author(click on edit clip in tmpgenc dvd author).

I will see if it is same for all dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to be different from dvd to dvd. I can't get any audio from t2 but it worked from fletch lives(if I select start by chapter)...maybe something to do with the audio tracks order....anyone know any other solutions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dvd shrink seems to "mess up" the ac3 audio headers. If I demultiplex the ac3 I can't import it any authoring tool. It works fine to play though(with the ac3 filter).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Added a rejig step to fix the audio problems.

You can also rip the entire video with dvd shrink and then cut with tmpgenc but it requires a lot of harddisk space and it also takes long time to rip the entire dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am trying to shrink and reauthor an episode disk using this method.
    TMPGEnc DVD Author keeps telling me that the size exceeds that of a 4.7gb disk. In shrink I knocked the target size down to 4455 Mb. But it is still to large. What size would I need to shrink the episodes to before going into DVD Author?

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mb571
    I am trying to shrink and reauthor an episode disk using this method.
    TMPGEnc DVD Author keeps telling me that the size exceeds that of a 4.7gb disk. In shrink I knocked the target size down to 4455 Mb. But it is still to large. What size would I need to shrink the episodes to before going into DVD Author?

Mark
    If it is 4455 mb just then ignore the tmpgenc exceed limit. tmpgenc dvd authors limits is a bit low.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I went ahead and burnt onto a dvd-rw and it plays fine but none of the menus show up. The episodes just start playing. I know I made a mistake with the "Firstplay Action" setting set to "Play All Episodes". But the dvd player menu button will not call up the main menu at all. Will have to investigate further.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  10. The standard "Menu" button doesn't work. But the "Title" button on my remote calls up the Main Menu that TMPGEnc DVDAuthor made. Anyone no how to get the menu button to work.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great guide baldrick but i have not been able to get the subtitles to work. I checked mark two options on the menu and also two audios but even the powerdvd can not identify the subtitles. Of course my dvd neither. any suggestions?

I use your guide following the part you pointed out about the dvd with dts and subtitles. Use Only dvd shrink and checked the movie created on the PC using power dvd. I do not use menues

Any suggestion?

best regards from Bogota Colombia south america
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ticos2000
    Great guide baldrick but i have not been able to get the subtitles to work. I checked mark two options on the menu and also two audios but even the powerdvd can not identify the subtitles. Of course my dvd neither. any suggestions?

I use your guide following the part you pointed out about the dvd with dts and subtitles. Use Only dvd shrink and checked the movie created on the PC using power dvd. I do not use menues

Any suggestion?

best regards from Bogota Colombia south america
    It works fine here, have you tried select all subtitles? Are you using latest dvd shrink 3.1.3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes baldrick. I have tried all of them, tested also small movie files (2 3min) and nothing happens...test on 3.1.2 and early this morning 3.1.3..(finding nemo movie and "shakespeare in love".)

Change the preferences and select all the languages and all the subtitles . I can not see any subtitle on powerdvd (the subtitles option turn gray ) and if you see under properties over powerdvd you found that there is only one audio stream and no subtitles at all

Im getting frustrated ....any ideas ?

thanks again

My system
    dell 8300
    xp
    3 ghz
    120 gb
    512 mb ddr
    2 DVds units
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ticos2000
    Yes baldrick. I have tried all of them, tested also small movie files (2 3min) and nothing happens...test on 3.1.2 and early this morning 3.1.3..(finding nemo movie and "shakespeare in love".)

Change the preferences and select all the languages and all the subtitles . I can not see any subtitle on powerdvd (the subtitles option turn gray ) and if you see under properties over powerdvd you found that there is only one audio stream and no subtitles at all

Im getting frustrated ....any ideas ?

thanks again

My system
    dell 8300
    xp
    3 ghz
    120 gb
    512 mb ddr
    2 DVds units

Finally!!!....big mistake i was making...using tmpeg author tool...no subtitles at all..i went straight forward from dvd folder created by dvdshrink to Nero and burn the files....work flawlessly with subtitles and different audios...
    thanks again baldrick you guys have a great site here, i discovered it on 2000 and learned a lot...keep the hard work!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've followed the guide (great guide by the way), but for some reason, some DVD's will not play with audio. For example Lord of the Rings, Fifth Element, Braveheart, etc.

I notice that when using DVD Author it gives me some error on bit rate, but I don't know if that makes a difference, nor do I know how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iqwertyi
    I've followed the guide (great guide by the way), but for some reason, some DVD's will not play with audio. For example Lord of the Rings, Fifth Element, Braveheart, etc.

I notice that when using DVD Author it gives me some error on bit rate, but I don't know if that makes a difference, nor do I know how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Do you get any audio if you play with powerdvd or windvd on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I am getting a new warning now when I go to output with TMPGENcDVDAuthor. It is
    "The combined bitrate of the clip exceeds the upper limit for a standard DVD.The current bitrate is : video 9800 kbps, audio 192 kbps.
    Combined 9992 kbps.
    The combined video and audio bitrate can be no more than 9848 kbps."

Should I ignore the warning or try to fix a problem?

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mb571
    I am getting a new warning now when I go to output with TMPGENcDVDAuthor. It is
    "The combined bitrate of the clip exceeds the upper limit for a standard DVD.The current bitrate is : video 9800 kbps, audio 192 kbps.
    Combined 9992 kbps.
    The combined video and audio bitrate can be no more than 9848 kbps."

Should I ignore the warning or try to fix a problem?

Mark
    Just click ignore.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I don't have PowerDVD or WinDVD at home but I did try with my ATI DVD player and it gives me the same problem. It plays for about half a second when the clip first starts then stops for the rest of the movie.

I did get that same error mb571 was talking about and thought that may have something to do about it until I saw your reply to his post.

Now for LOTR and Gladiator, I also see an error sign while using DVD Author to add the clips:

"Video bit rate is 9802 kbps is too high for a standard DVD. For standard DVD maximum bit rate is 9800 kbps.
    Ignore or cancel"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Do you have to fix the audio because I don't think its out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  21. I have not tired it without fixing the audio. I just assumed it needed to be fixed always.

I just tried the DVD with powerDVD and it plays the same. Some will have audio and others will only have about a half a sec in the beginning of the clip then silence.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I just was wondering about the audio. I did one without fixing the audio and had no problems

Can anyone verify this?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stano
    I just was wondering about the audio. I did one without fixing the audio and had no problems

Can anyone verify this?
    If tmpgenc dvd author finds the audio you don't have to use rejig. It works with some dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm also having a problem after I use Rejig and then go to Tmpgenc.

When I go to add the MPEG_Video_0xE0.m2v I get a initialize decoder error. I went back to Rejig and did it again and I got the same result.

I also rebooted my PC and still nothing.

Any help
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stano
    I'm also having a problem after I use Rejig and then go to Tmpgenc.

When I go to add the MPEG_Video_0xE0.m2v I get a initialize decoder error. I went back to Rejig and did it again and I got the same result.

I also rebooted my PC and still nothing.

Any help
    can you play the mpg with media player? if not install a mpeg2 codec or powerdvd.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172880
    Quote Quote  
  26. yes I can play the MPEG_Video_0xE0.m2v in media player.

Why is this a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  27. What should I do if it plays in media player.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    then it should work. But you could anyway try install/reinstall an other mpeg2 codec...I use PowerDVD,
    Quote Quote  
  29. where can i get another mpeg codec

Please guide me
    Quote Quote  
  30. I have power dvd
    Quote Quote