VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can somoene explain to me the difference between how movies streamed from my PC via a PS3 via my wireless router to my HD TV is very slipshod, struggles and stutters with AVI's from my PC

VS

How I can get excellent results from Netflix streaming through the same wireless router to my HD TV with no stuttering, struggles, lock-up or anything.. I can even play Blu-Ray via this method, but using MKV's or AVI's it struggles so so much...

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix is using Silverlight from MS, though likely more for encryption purposes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight
    That gives them control of playback and streaming that you may not have available for your own streaming. It also appears that Netflix adjusts the resolution to your download speed. Or am I just imagining that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply and explaination, although I still don't understand... Is there something in silverlight which allows them the ability or capabilities of how my wireless router streams the data to my TV which is above/beyond what I can do when I'm trying to stream MKV or AVI files via my PS3?...

Tonight, after I posted I gave it another shot, and Lo & Behold I can watch some AVI's, (not all), although the MKV's still stumble and lock up the system..
    Quote Quote  
  4. What kind of bitrates are you looking at? Netflix uses very low bitrates. Much lower than your typical Blu-ray MKV rip. How are you streaming from the PC to the PS3? WMP? Tversity? Something else? It's likely that Netflix is more optimized for transmission delays (more buffering because it's used over the internet) than your streaming server software (which is probably simply optimized for LAN streaming).
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Oct 2010 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also don't forget netflix is straight from their servers. They control the whole process. Your home streaming can have lots of different issues since you are transcoding them when the ps3 can't automatically play them (ie the mkv files).

Jagabo might be right about netflix using lower bitrates. HOWEVER that doesn't mean low quality. I found it to be of excellent quality on my system. I don't have a 1080p set so I can't verify it on that format (I have a 32" 1080i set). But it is worth it for the type of service it is.

I have since dropped it to control expenses but it was very good while I had it. Only disappointment was the interface on the ps3. It was not very pleasing. I liked it on my xbox 360 much better and used that most of the time.

Also while streaming your personal files I would think it would matter whether or not you are doing downloads off the internet while streaming. To ensure best streaming I would leave your connection free so it can pipe as much to the ps3 as possible without hiccups.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for the feedback... I think I'm a little more knowledgeable now...I'm thinking it's most likely got to do with the Bit rate and the size of the MKV's..they are some hefty video files....I'll Just play around with what I've got and see how I can tweek it or if I can even do that.. I just need to do some more in depth study on what I use, the PS3 Media Server, or maybe switch to something else..

Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can use a tool like BitrateViewer to see what kind of bitrates your videos have.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gave up on video over wireless more than three years ago. All someone has to do is turn on the microwave or use a wireless phone and your whole wireless network is hosed. It is more likely related to your bitrate as others have mentioned above. As a test run cat5 cable to your router and it will likely be flawless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Silverlight is an extension of earlier multi-stream wmv technology. When you select a Netflix movie, Silverlight first evaluates your internet connection for sustained speed, latency and error rate, then buffers and sends a stream most likely to play without drops. In other words the stream sent is scaled in quality to best match their evaluation of your connection.

When you select a file, it will attempt to play at native bitrate without regard to network conditions. If the network is insufficient or busy, you get skips.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unrelated, I used to use a Wii for Nexflix, sold it because it was never used as a game and got the Roku box, the quality of the video I watch from Netflix is TWICE what it was on the gaming console. (Running HDMI cable now too...)

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rogertango
    video I watch from Netflix is TWICE what it was on the gaming console. (Running HDMI cable now too...)
    Thats not a fair comparison since the Wii was sd only. Naturally the Roku will be better since it can output hdmi. The wii was component only at 480p. WHen I had a wii before I traded it in and had netflix the quality was acceptable but not stellar. My 360 and ps3 were far better since they could handle high def and the upconverting of sd material was good.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote