VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears to be a copy of the genuine EzCap sold by ezcap.tv. ezcap.tv uses a different color scheme for their box now. There is no way to tell if the hardware inside the silver peanut enclosure is the same as that used in the product sold by ezcap.tv. Those selling copies do not typically provide support. ezcap.tv does provide support for their own products, but refuses to provide support to those with copies.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th May 2016 at 14:09. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It appears to be a copy of the genuine EzCap is sold by ezcap.tv. ezcap.tv uses a different color scheme for their box now. There is no way to tell if the hardware inside the silver peanut enclosure is the same as that used in the product sold by ezcap.tv. Those selling copies do not typically provide support. ezcap.tv does provide support for their own products, but refuses to provide support to those with copies.
    From ezcap.tv:

"NEW Red Box Edition....... New box and new drivers. If it's not red, it's not ours.

Be warned. Sadly there are lots of fakes now made in China. To combat this, the manufacturer has had to change their trading name from Easycap to the trademarked name ezcap and radically redesigned their product. If you are offered an Easycap product, it is a fake. You get what you pay for."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it's a fake, and wow, the scammers are getting more deceptive - this will fool many unfortunately. Again, as I tell everyone, if it's not from the site ezcap.tv, then it's a fake. I also seriously doubt that this company scored some major victory in any economies of scale with the real ezcap.tv to offer you some discount.

And, as UQ pointed out, it's not the right box anyway. As mentioned, currently on the ezcap.tv site, "NEW Red Box Edition....... New box and new drivers. If it's not red, it's not ours." (But the red box is not so "new" any more, but still valid.)

You can buy this one in the link if you want to and save a small bit of money, that's fine. But, you don't know what you're really buying, it may be very buggy, may waste you lots of time trying to get any productivity from it, may produce terrible quality (IF you do get it to "work") and good luck getting any support with it. As well - if the situation isn't bad enough already - it may even cause damage to your computer.

For only about $10USD more, you could seriously avoid a ton of risk by just buying it from ezcap.tv instead. I would seriously recommend this option, and if money is indeed an issue, then I would wait just a bit longer to save it.

EDIT: Didn't mean to be redundant repeating the "red box" comment, but just now noticed lingyi and I were posting near the same time.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 13th May 2016 at 14:51. Reason: Explained any redundancy in my post.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So is this the product that does not work as per your earlier topic ?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378440-Ezcap-usb2116-video-capture-problem

As explained above. An expensive fake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Didn't mean to be redundant repeating the "red box" comment, but just now noticed lingyi and I were posting near the same time.
    Great minds think alike!

Did a little more checking and it sesms to FAKE ezcap device from ezcap.com (ForwardVideo) . Note that this is NOT ezcap.tv which sells the REAL ezcap.

Given that ezcap.com was registered in China in 2004, it's likely they're at least one source for all the fake ezcaps over the years.

ezcap.tv was registered in Great Britain in 2010 when Easycap changed their name to ezcap to fight off the fakes.
    Last edited by lingyi; 13th May 2016 at 14:42. Reason: Edited for clarity that the OPs link is to a fake ezcap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi
    Great minds think alike!

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So is this the product that does not work as per your earlier topic ?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378440-Ezcap-usb2116-video-capture-problem
    Originally Posted by lingyi
    Did a little more checking and it sesms to a "genuine" (i.e. FAKE ezcap.tv device) from ezcap.com (ForwardVideo) . Note that this is NOT ezcap.tv which sells the REAL ezcap.

Given that ezcap.com was registered in China in 2004, it's likely they're at least one source for all the fake ezcaps over the years.

ezcap.tv was registered in Great Britain in 2010 when Easycap changed their name to ezcap to fight off the fakes.
    Great detective skills guys. Further support for it being a fake: this one is problematic, and has shady background.

Originally Posted by DB83
    As explained above. An expensive fake.
    And is one of the most expensive fakes I've seen.

Seems like a plausible strategy, not just rudimentary thinking towards making more on margin, but maybe they purposely raised the price to better fool people.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I bought a 'real' Ezcap 116 directly from ezcap.tv here in the UK in February this year.
    Yes, the box has red parts, but it doesn't look like the box on their website!!
    I think that might cause some further confusion....see attached images on the box I actually received.....
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ezfr.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	37004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezbk.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	37005  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @pippas
    Thank you for the pics.

Another point to making sure you're buying the real device. ezcap.tv is right on the real box and only ezcap on the fake.
    Quote Quote