VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which video editing tool will allow me to freeze the action for a second then carry on , eg I am editing a car jump and would like the video to freeze at the point where the car crashes to the ground, so that the damage can be seen, then play on again. Obviously it what PAUSE buttons are made for, but id like to do it via editing, so the PAUSE button doesnt need to be pressed on the player, and the exact frame can be seen every time.

Is it possible ? and more importantly straightforward to do
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any half-decent NLE can do a freeze frame. Sony Vegas Movie Studio is good and relatively inexpensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have VEGAS 8, but it wont let me import a VIDEO_TS file. is there a plug-in i need or do I need to convert the format first and if so whats the best format to use in VEGAS 8, for picture quality. THANKS!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. VIDEO_TS isn't a file, it's a folder containing many files. Try loading the individual .vobs inside. I don't believe Vegas will smart render dvd compatible mpeg2 video, so you'll have to determine how you're planning to view/play the footage in order to choose the least damaging method for export.
    Last edited by smrpix; 16th Nov 2014 at 11:18.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If the vob's don't load directly into vegas (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't) , you can try vob2mpg to convert them to mpg
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the expert info, However, haaving opened an MP4 file into VEGAS looks to be a little complicated for my abilities , can you suggest an easier to use option. I bought AVS video converter last month and have been using that, but id just doesnt FREEZE the action im tyring to edit. Once again thanks for the assistance!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't use Avs video converter , but it looks like it has a timeline from the screenshot on their website

So split the video where you want it to "pause" and extend that frame (make a copy of it) lasting however long you want the pause .

Or Split the video (move the 2nd half farther was) and take a screenshot of the last frame, and overlay that still picture as long as you want the pause over the gap

It's not going to be much different in vegas

You haven't mentioned what you want to do with the audio during the pause , so you can split it (silence), mix something or whatever you want
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Which video editing tool will allow me to freeze the action for a second then carry on , eg I am editing a car jump and would like the video to freeze at the point where the car crashes to the ground, so that the damage can be seen, then play on again. Obviously it what PAUSE buttons are made for, but id like to do it via editing, so the PAUSE button doesnt need to be pressed on the player, and the exact frame can be seen every time.

Is it possible ? and more importantly straightforward to do
    It is straightforward in most NLE's.

Freeze frame of alternatively you can change the rate to very slow during impact.

Ah, I am getting recollections of Starsky and Hutch car chases and funky music.

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent advice, I will probably MUTE the audio, can I ask a lamens question what does NLE stand for. and how do I alter the speed for that small section (the car landing). I seem to be able only to alter the speed of the whole clip in AVS Video Editor.

splitting and splicing a still into the clip could be the way to do it, I will get onto that asap.

Can anyone suggest a good NLE editor. I have just trialled TMPGenc Video Mastering, but it doesnt have a good timeline.....any other ideas
    Quote Quote  
  10. Since you already have vegas, you can ramp the speed in vegas; slow it down , pause, speed it up. One way is to use a "velocity envelope" in vegas . Search youtube, there are dozens of step by step tutorials
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EXCELLENT advice as ever, I have actually found a freeze option in AVS, but Im not giving up on Vegas, THANKS AGAIN FOLKS!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Excellent advice, I will probably MUTE the audio,
    Possible, but you could also do something like some "Six Million Dollar Man" effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyIBuF73PQ

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!