VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am burning MPEG files to a VCD with Nero.
    I want the VCD to auto run when placed in the CD tray of most PCs.
    Is there a file or programme I can download to insert at the Nero compilation stage that will give the VCD the auto run facility.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ok, what u need to do is open notepad up and type the following exactly like this:

[autorun]
    OPEN="the player you want your cd to play".exe

Heres an example:

[autorun]
    OPEN=C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

The notepad file must be saved as: autorun.inf
    You will know its worked as the icon for the file will have a yellow star on it.

Now you just add to your nero compilation with your other files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will the INF file on the VCD interfere when playing the VCD on a standalone DVD player?
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
  4. no disrespect intended, but dabwee's suggestion may not work. Even though it will open the player program, it won't necessarily tell the program to start playing the video on the disc. Also the player must be available on the PC in question. In other words if you set the autoboot to start PowerDVD and the computer doesn't have PowerDVD installed, it won't work.
    Some experimentation may be in order.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Its the correct way to do this.

You make sure that the playing device is on the computer before doing autorun.

Its best to use a c: drive command for windows media player as everyone has that on their computer.

Gadgetguy I don't see you offering better suggestions??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @dabwee:
    Sorry to disappoint you, but it īsn't the correct way to do this. I could give you a number of examples why. Instead, I'll direct you to search for some of my previous posts on the subject. gadgetguy was right in his caveats. One major mention of note is that without quotes to retain your spaces, your autorun will look for a "C:\Program" application which will do nobody any good.

@Cole: No, it won't interfere. At all.

@tony nicholls:
    the player you want to add will depend on how you want the vcd to be treated--as VCD 2.0 "disc" title (with menus, chapters etc) or as MPEG tracks/files (no menus, chapters...)

For a "disc" player, use WinDVD, PowerDVD, Sth player, Sony's VCDplayer, or Roxio's VCDPLAY player, or similar apps.

For a "file/track" player, you could use most of the above, but you could also use MediaPlayer(1), MediaPlayer(2/6), or WindowsMediaPlayer(7/8/9), ( or RealPlayer ). There are others.

I've done alot of these, so it can be done, and nicely.

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also, windows media player will not play a vcd. you have to manually fo to file>open and open the dat file in the mpegav folder on the disc.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks folks, but I havent got that far yet.
    I have created the auto run file with a yellow star but when I try to drag it to the VCD compilation window, from the browser in Nero, to add to the MPEG file, already dragged sucessfully across, it refuses and 'windows me' that this is is an invalid file and I need an MPEG1 encoded for video CD. So where do I add the autorun.inf file

I must be doing someting wrong.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. Drag it into the vcd components window. Where there is the MPEGAV file drag underneath all of those files!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK I got the files sorted in the right place and burnt a VCD on Nero.
    I only had 1 x 12minute MPEG track, no menus, no chapters.

I wrote the autorun file as exactly:

[autorun]
    OPEN=C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

I have tried the burnt VCD on 3 different PCs with windows media player
    installed.
    The disc will not autorun on any, but one with media player V7 does open the player window then nowt.

The others have older versions of wmplayer the disc wurrs and then
    nothing.

I can go into the disc drive on all PCs and start it playing manually, so to speak ,but I could do that before. I want an 'autorun on loading' feature.

Is there an inexpensive guaranteed software available.
    Or could somebody give me the exact instructions to type to the autorun.inf with any quote marks, dots etc.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  11. souldnt it be more like this...

[autorun]
    open = mpgav/avseq.dat

it should be more likr this...and then the application assigned to open the file wil open....that is what should happen.....i know i probable spelled or didnt set it out right but if u know anything aout vcds u should understand where i am comming from....i want to do the same with my divx movies as i have made a divx box (well not finnished yet) and the movies will auto run upon insertion in to the drive....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That is NOT how autorun works.

Autorun v1.0 (my designation) works on any Windows computers from Win95 on up--assuming it hasn't been disabled or is conflicting with something else. It will only run PROGRAMS with the "OPEN" command, and that doesn't include running with extended commandline switches. It does not run "documents" by default.
    You can, however, do a batch file and run the batch file "program" which can call other programs, but you will have to live with background DOS boxes unless you get hold of a specialty windowless batch-running app.

Autorun v1.1(also my designation) works on Win2k or XP for sure (not sure about anything earlier), and in addition, it allows running documents with registered filetypes, not just programs. To do this, use the "SHELLEXECUTE" command.

Read my past posts for more info, and check out M$ sites that have autorun info for the last word in using all the available features and the correct syntax.

my example autorun script would be:

Code:
    [autorun]
    open=MyShellExecuterApp.exe
    icon=MyCuteDiscIcon.ico
    readit\command=notepad.exe readme.txt
    readit=&Read Me
    and my shellapp config script might have contingencies for finding the correct default WinMediaPlayer (they're different names and paths on different platforms-or they could have been installed in a nonstandard way). It would also reference, with RELATIVE referencing, the .DAT files

e.g.
    Code:
    Movie1=..\MPEGAV\AVSEQ01.DAT
    Movie2=..\MPEGAV\AVSEQ02.DAT
    Honestly, the how-to info is available, but I can't help much if you won't heed it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. ok, thanx for the correction...well explained. how would i do it with my divx movies?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since DivX playback isn't (yet) a CE standard, I'd just make a Mode1 CDROM, create a folder for the media files, like uhhh "Media" and then put in the root folder:

Autorun.inf
    Myicon.ico
    Readme.txt

and

Autorun.asx

Using later OS's (a la Win2k/XP), autorun could be [Syntax Warning ON]:

Code:
    [autorun]
    shellexecute=autorun.asx
    icon=myicon.ico
    readit\command=notepad.exe readme.txt
    readit=&Read Me
    The asx would, with normal defaults, be associated with Win Media Player (either v2/6 or v7/8/9).

The asx could look something as simple as:

Code:
    <ASX version = "3.0"> 
    **<Entry> 
    ****<Ref href = "..\Media\MyDivXFile.avi" /> 
    **</Entry> 
    </ASX>
    [Syntax Warning OFF]

To learn much more about ASX, do a Google search using "ASX" and "Metafile". There's lots there.

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote