VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    this is a how to guide on how to burn a dvd9 to a dvd5 and still keep 80 to 100% of it's video quality in anywhere from 1 to 2 1/2 hours.

I guess u can call me a newbie even though i know a million ways to burn a DVD. baldrick's way is by far the best and simplest. but i happen to tweak one of his ideas(burning a dvd9 to a dvd5 without menus) and came up with excellent video (way better than using dvd2one) quality. in some case I came up with the exact video quality (no converting the video was needed). I rip the only the movie(click file instead of movie mode) files of the DVD with smartripper (I could have use DVD decrypter but i like smartripper better). then I used ifo edit v0.95 to create ifo and bup files(5 to 10 min.),

I make a folder (name it after the movie) to rip the movie files to, I open smartripper, then I rip the movie in FILE mode not movie mode, Then I rip the movie (15 to 20 minutes). When the movie is done I open ifoedit. press create ifos,then i leave the pgc and chapters options alone (i don't know what they are ),

then I click of the browse button which is the square block with the period in it. i then find the 1st vob of the movie that's in my movie folder, then i click on the first vob file then I press open,I make sure i check the little box that says destination directory for the ifo files is to the same as source, then I click ok. And I wait 5 to 10 minutes for my dvd compliant files.

after u edit with ifoedit open your main vts ifo file and click get vts sectors and click yes to all questions (this is an optional setting, but it ensure that everything is allright in the ifo files)

then I use instant copy to make my dvd. I take out all the extra audio files (like French or Spanish languages and the director’s commentary) and the subtitles(who needs them). Then the Instantcopy process takes anywhere from 35 min. to 2 hours to make the dvd. if after you take out the extra audio file and subtitles you can set the video slider all the way up(and still keep the movie under 4.3 gigs) no video converting is needed (as i did with john q and all about the benjamins) and it takes 35 to 40 min. to make the dvd. and out the dvd and the video quality look exactly as the original dvd. but if after you take out the extra audio and subtitles out on instantcopy and u can't slide the video slider all the way up some converting is needed (but not much though) still that process only take anywhere from 50 minuets to 2 hours to do(and when ic7 says 2 hours on my computer it’s really like 1 1/2 hrs).

another side benefit,

u will almost never get an error doing it this way ( i've never have and i've burnt about 100 movies)

reedited 5-25-03
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since I only have a lowly PIII 1 GHz system, it'll probably take a lot longer to do the conversion and since i don't have a big screen TV, it'll look just fine on my 27" Sony if I use DVD2One. What are your comp specs? I can at least gauge what my conversion times will be like in comparison. If it's going to take me longer than a couple hours, then it's unlikely I'll use your approach.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i have a 2.24 gig pent 4 Xp 512 ram 80 gig hard drive. but my computer upstairs is 1.1 XP gig amd 256 mb 30 gig hard drive. the difference being my main computer usally does things faster than real time, my other one basically does thing s in real time. ic7 never goes past 121 minutes when i burn a movie(on the 1.1gig) computer.

this is how it works. say the movie is 5.1gig (rare if movie are longer than this, but it happens. Bourne Identity take up 6.8 gigs without menus) long after u use smartripper to rip and ifoedit to process, then u load the movie with ic7. then u take out everything that u don't need,like dts, different languages and subtitles. now after u take all that stuff your movies should be under 4.3gigs. then u slide your video slider all the way up. therefore no video converting is need and this process takes about 35 mins.(25 on my main computer) to burn a dvd.

u will have excellent video( not poor 6 hr vhs quality like that product u are using now) whether u are watching big screen or not. poor quality is poor quality whether through a 13 inch or a 61 inch tv. i'm not bashing your product but before ic7 come out i had brought an mpeg 2 adapter card that cost $700 to covert my dvds . it coverted them pretty fast(30 min to 45 min) but the video was horrible and half the time the video and audio sync was a little off and i never had that probelm with ic7. software should never be better than hardware. and to be truthfu,l i was never picky about the video untl i got ic7. if u can have nice video go for it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Dude if u have dvd2one STICK 2 USING IT. I will assure u & i don't care who all disagrees, but the pic quality is verrrry good. I have a projector that will blow any hdtv and plasma away, and my copies from dvd2 one is great. I have dvdxcopy & instant copy and have'nt used any of the 2 beacause i see no need to. I'll put my head on the block 4 dvd2one. Wanting menus is a different topic altogether, but as far as pic quality goes I see no flaw so far in the 58+ movies i've done with dvd2one.
    Live Life 2 The Fullest, Live The Life U Luv & Luv The Life U Live!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I also have all three programs but find I use DVD2one 99% of the time just because it is much faster than the other programs. 15 mins to rip, 15 minutes with DVD2on and 16 minutes to burn at 4x and if the original is a single layer I have my copy in about 30 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have all these programmes, dvd2one is excellent.

However dvd95copy produces great results for video and also menus.
    I normally load the ifo files into ifoedit and hit get vts sectors, have found the menus can stick.

I did Pearl Harbour and the result is fantastic - 2.5 hours start to finish.

dlb.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    on instant copy you can choose to get rid of the extras if you want to so you can keep the quality better

just my 2 cents
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jarvis1781,

Can you advise how to remove the menus etc using instantcd.

Thanks.

dlb.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    if you use file mode with smartripper, there is no extras or menus that need to be remove. it is way quicker this way than using instantcopy to remove them (they are not there which also make the ripping process faster with smartripper and the converting process faster with Instantcopy). all u have to remove are the extra languages and subtitles with Instantcopy.

if u do it the way i describe above it usually (70%of the time) take 50 minutes to an hour to make a dvd9 to a dvd 5 ( 15 min to rip, 5 to process with ifo edit, and 35 to make the dvd at 2.4x with my sony dru 120a).

now this method is only 10 minutes slower than the method describe above by bob w (he has a faster burner) using dvd2one but the video quality is 20X greater (it doesn't look like avi or vhs video like dvd2one it look like mpeg 2) . so it would be worth it to me to wait that extra 10 minutes (this method is only this fast when after u take out all the extra languages and subtitles the movie will fit under 4.3 gig which is most of the time).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am currently using DVD2ONE, and I personally think it is fantastic. I have done over 50+ movies, Zero coasters (using this method. DVD Decrypter-file mode-, DVD2ONE, Recordnow max 4.5) and I have watched 28 of them from beginning to end. Personally I think the quality is fantastic, and I have not experienced any skipping like some mentioning in this forum. My old method was using CCE to do the encoding (through the use of DVD2SVCD, and DVD Maestro). I loved that method, but then came DVD2ONE. Personally, I think DVD2ONE has done a better job with the video than CCE. Most of the comments on this forum suggest CCE is the best, then ic7, followed by DVD2ONE. I think a natural reaction is that this should be the order because of the time it takes in each corresponding program, so opinions are slightly altered. However, I have done 3 movies using both methods. (CCE Vs. DVD2ONE). Tombstone, Godzilla, and Sweet Home Alabama. CCE looks like a really good SVCD (I used to do those). DVD2ONE looks like an actual DVD (occasionally a few extra artifacts). I prefer DVD2ONE when it comes to quality, and hands down when it comes to EVERYTHING else.

Now, the reason I am posting this here is not to start a war between DVD2ONE and CCE, especially since the topic is ic7. (thanks vance for the guide). The bottom line is that I am very picky when it comes to video quality (not picky enough to go to 2 DVDRs, however :P ). I can see a difference between the original DVD and DVD2ONE. (ofcourse, only movies that are actually over the 4.377 mark with everything else stripped out. Otherwise no "reconversion" is done, just like ic7). Usually I notice a difference on movies that are above the 6 gig mark. However, my wife hasn't noticed a difference yet, when compared to the original. Even Titanic, which was 7.9 gigs. (by the way, even the original disc looks bad on that movie). Sorry, back to the topic. If ic7 can do a better job than dvd2one, then I'm in. At least, for movies over the 6 gig mark.

Vance43211: Can I just use DVD decrypter-file mode- (which only uses the actual movie) and then go straight to ic7? If I can't, will ifo edit 9.1 be ok? Not that it is a big deal, I could just get 9.5.

I think that DVD2ONE and IC7 have the right idea. They are taking a $40,000 hardware encoder (Hollywood) and just altering it a little to get the movie to fit. Where CCE and TMPG start from scratch with their own encoding tools. Again, just my 2 cents.

Like I said before, if ic7 is only 20 minutes longer and is better, then I'm in.

Sorry so long guys. sometimes I ramble.

By the way, is there a demo of ic7 available?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i only use dvd decrypter once last may or june. i use to experiment & mess around to figure out how to burn dvd9 to dvd5 without waiting 24hrs on my own. smartripper was easier to understand and view and manipulate so i use it. if u rip in a mode where only the main movie vob files are ripped. then u can used ifo edit v.91( u must use something to make the vob files dvd compliant) ,i used it for the longest for my movies because v.95 had too many options for me to mess up, but then i finally experimented and used v.95 because it was suppose to be better authored. but with ic7 that is a irrelavent point because ic7 dvd plays in everything so u can use ifoedit v.91

ic7 demo is http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=1153&Langue_ID=2&SID=199

P.S.. u will notice a diiference in video quality after u use ic7. most people didn't notice that the video quality of their other software wasn't that good until ic7 came out myself included because ic7 is just so crystal clear
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This guide may be just a little misleading. If you are going from DVD9 to DVD5, there is NO WAY you can keep 100% video quality (or even 90%). Even when it is movie only and just over 5 gigs, you still need to drop it down to 80-85%.

If you are talking about perceived quality, then that is VERY subjective (depending on who is doing the judging).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    you are completly wrong. i did about 7 movies, john Q and all about the benjamins were the first 2, that no video converting was need and it took about 35 minutes to burn them to dvd.

what u have 2 realized is say the movie john q for instance the movie is 5 gig long in movie mode only (with foedit processed). now if my memory serves me correctly john q had either a dts language or an english commentary or both and it had subtitles. now when u took out the extra language and the subtitles the movie was about 4.2 gig long.

now on custom resize i could take the video slider and set it to 100%, and whenever u do that, no video converting is needed and ic7 just rearranges the leftover stuff to fit on that dvd. and that's why it takes 35 min. instead of the usual 20 to 25 min. that it takes to burn a dvd5

one final note, if i burnt the all the extra stuff on movies like menu, etc .on a 5gig disc than what u say would be an accurate statement.

whatever u set your video slider to, that is the percentage of video conversion

if u still don't beleive me go get john q, follow my instructions and see for yourself
    Quote Quote  
  14. thanks for the guide vance. i'm new to instantcopy. one problem. when i hit start to start burning, it say i need 4.5 GB of free space and i only have 2.55 GB of free space available when i put in a black dvd-r. Why is this happening? how can i fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Ryu69
    thanks for the guide vance. i'm new to instantcopy. one problem. when i hit start to start burning, it say i need 4.5 GB of free space and i only have 2.55 GB of free space available when i put in a black dvd-r. Why is this happening? how can i fix this?
    My guess is that Instant Copy needs to write a temp file to your hard drive and there isn't enough space available on your drive.
    Quote Quote  
  16. is there anywhere in instantcopy to change the location of the temp?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    how much free space do u have on your hard drive?

do u have a partitioned hard drive?

u can change the location of the temp drive

but we need to find out if that is the problem
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks bob. I changed the temp location to my other partition with more space and it worked.

One mroe problem everyone. In the beginning, I made sure the size of the movie stayed at 4.31 GB as the meter where it shows you how much space it is going to take stayed green. But after the alteration of the movie and right before it starts burning, InstantCopy says to me that my dvd-r doesn't have enough space and needs 4.7 GB, so it gave me an option to truncate it and it went down to 4.48 GB in size. Just wondering why InstantCopy would ask me that when I only set the size of the movie to 4.31 GB and it was good to go? Is there a TOC file or some other file that InstantCopy puts in that I have to account for when i resize the movie? Let me know, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hey everyone. Sorry to bother you guys again. This technique works. But here is my problem. I am trying to backup DARK BLUE and this movie is a dvd9 double sided dvd. This is my first try at a double sided dvd9 movie. I just want the wide screen so i am just backing up one side. I do all the steps you have stated. In IFOEdit, I created the file, VTS_01_0.IFO, but when i try to load the movie up in InstantCopy, it says it cannot open VTS_02_0.IFO when i try to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO, but there wasn't a VTS_02_0.IFO created. Is this because there are 2 sides to the dvd? Do i have to edit a file to only point to the first IFO file? Please let me know if you have any solutions for this. Thanks

Also, what can i edit in IFOEdit? I am new to this so sorry for the stupid questions. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    sometimes the main movies vobs are named vts_2_1 ,vts_2_2,vts_2_3 or vts_3_1,vts_3_2,vts_3_3, etc

rename the files to vts_1_1, vts_1_2, vts_1_3, vts_1_4, and so on
    that create your ifos with ifoedit
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks I'll try it, but i find it weird that my .ifo file and .bup file is VTS_01_0.IFO, and my movie files are VTS_05_1.VOB, VTS_05_2.VOB, and so on.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    that just how they do some movies

especially movies with a lot of extras
    Quote Quote  
  23. If you dont like ifoedit, i would rip the movie with DVDShrink, it can rip the movie only, and you can open the files from DVDShrink in InstantCopy. Very easy and fast, DVDShrink around 20 minutes, IC7 around 45 minutes, burn 15 minutes with 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hey Vance. Tried to rename the IFO file but doesn't work. I think it is looking for 2 IFO files, VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_02_0.IFO. I think it is this way because it is a double sided dvd, but I only want to burn one side. Can I edit VIDEO_TS.IFO file to only look for one of these files?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    rename the vob files not the ifo

take your vob files and put them in a folder by themselves

rename the vob files as above

then create ifo files and get vts sectors
    Quote Quote  
  26. I just downloaded the trial version of InstantCopy; is it different from the regular version? (don't see meters or adjustments of any kind) I followed the instructions in this thread and the final result is kind of strange; on the stand alone DVD player, the disk plays but it's zoomed in. (only see part of the picture because it's zoomed in - yes, my DVD player has the zoom feature but the pressing the zoom button on the remote does nothing for this DVD) On my PC, I get an error message saying the DVD is dirty. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean
    Quote Quote  
  27. Follow up to zoom problem above; I tried the disk on a Sony player and PS2 and it seems to be ok. Still curious about the meter and manual adjustments however.

Thanks,

Sean
    Quote Quote  
  28. bump to top for a nice guide and great final product.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your main movie files are no bigger than 4.37 gigs I see no reason that your method is better than DVD2One . If you select movie only all dvd2one does is remove the audio and subtitle streams that you dont want . It also generates the other files needed for a dvd . If the main movie will fit on a dvd-5 it will not transcode it . I dont see how your method is better or faster . It takes me about an hour . 15 min to rip , 30 min to process , and 15 min to burn . All with a P-III 550 .
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wait.... I still don't get what you're trying to tell how to burn dvd9 to dvd5. First of all, You start with smart rip then the files you have after rip is *ifo* and *vob* only? This is how far I'm at now. Is it possible that you also shows picture so I'll understand better.
    Quote Quote