VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1) How much disk space do I need to capture vhs movies like The Star Wars Trilogy?

2) How much disk space do I need to rip a DVD like Lord of the Rings?

3) Wich factors determine the disk space needed to capture a vhs movie or to rip a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Okay!

To answer you qestions you can first do just a little reserach on the subject but what the hell.

1. How much disk space do i need?
    a. as much as possbble. you need at least 5 gig's of FREE SPACE to copy a dvd movie. you will NEED more if you want to do anthing to the movie besides watch it. I like to have at least 20 gigs of dedicated hd space just for video editing.

2. the lotr on dvd, a dvd is 4.5 gigs per DVD, so youll need that much space + a little more for folders and stuff.

3. Bit rate, file type, size of frame, frame rate. fps. what program your using to get the movie to the pc. ect ect.....
    if you want detailed specs. check out the newbie secton of vcd help.

listien most programs that alow you to copy Vhs to pc have pre-set settings try using those.
    good luck rippin.
    I know Everything about nothing, And Nothing about Everything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I´m asking those questions because I have limited disk space and can´t afford more at the moment. I have 20 GB disk partitioned into a 9.75 and a 8.86 logical drives. So, do you think that the 8.86 logical drive is enough to rip DVD's and capture vhs tapes? How much disk space is needed per hour to rip a DVD and to capture VHS tape both with the intention to encode to svcd later?
    Quote Quote  
  4. sure you can do it.

you would only want to do one project at a time.

i would start out by making a back up (he he) of a dvd. youll get a good idea of how much space your talking about with your first dvd.

rember a dvd when you copy using a ripping program is a exact copy of the movie, if you just rip the moive(difrent tracks such as trailers are not inculeded. . its a .IFO file and their usaly preety big.

now when coping a VHS tape. if you plan on doing any editing to it. Like a home movie AVI is the way to go. easy to edit BUT Huge uncompressed file sizes. ie 5min of viedo 250 megs you get the idea.

but you can also copy say straigt to Mpeg-2 (svcd) fromat using a decent copy program Ie. powervcr. or pinnical stuido 8 ( really good program for editing)

what are you using to get the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Regarding VHS capturing,as posterd above the more you have the better you'll be. And also what resolution you capture at & if you capture stereo/mono sound etc.

As an example capturing a 24-26min show on a VHS tape at 640x480 using the Huffy codec in AVI uses (for me) about 9-10Gig.
    Quote Quote  
  6. from Vhs I normaly capture at 640x480 29.9 fps in stereo cd qulatiy (not a big file diff stero vs mono so go with stero whenever possbile.)

again capturing in Avi is allways the best. (good video and sound and easy to edit and convert.)

when converting you have to rember that if you are converting to a Vcd your pic size will be 340x280 or somthing like that. and Svcd is 420x340 (agian or somthing like it.) the point is your video will be resized. so you tend to get some pixzillation (thats the video getting blocky, ussaly in high detaild scens or action.)

if you stick with the orginal out put of 640x480 you can burn to dvd mpeg-2 dvd standerd.

also if you convert to Dvix ver x you can choose your pic size and audio bit rate. the closer you stay to your orginal pic size the better (but bigger) the viedo is.

Dvix's main advantage is the adudio compression going from Wav to Mp3. main disadvantge is it only plays on the pc (for now). but u can get a tv out card! make a digitle VCR out of your pc.

lots a luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35
    2. the lotr on dvd, a dvd is 4.5 gigs per DVD, ...
    That's true for a single layer DVD, but many DVD's are two layer and are 9 gig.

For example, I just put The Maxtrix in my computer DVD drive and looked at the properties. It says the total size is 7.81 gig.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Flyingmonkey35, I´m a newbie and I haven´t captured any VHS yet nor ripped any DVD neither so, I can´t tell you wich software I´m using yet. I can tell you that I just got a Lite-On DVD-rom drive wich came with Power DVD software and a LifeView FlyVideo2000 TV/Capture card wich came with "native" software wich is able to capture to MPEG-1. Are those products/software combinations good enough? Does the direct encoding to MPEG-1 save any time or disk space? Can you recommend any software?

Hong Kong Phooey, if 24-26 minutes of VHS uses 9-10 Gigs of disk space, it seems that I´m not going to be able to capture a complete movie wich is about 120 minutes long, since I have only 8.86 Gigs available. Is there any way to capture more in such limited Disk space?

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is not good.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You could try capturing at a smaller resolution, but your final results will be of a poorer quality. Alternatively you could look at other codecs like mjpeg but that is a commercial codec. Capturing in mpeg 1 s/w realtime will reduce the size of the capture, but the results will not be as good as AVI to mpeg1 software encoded, & it's more difficult to edit your results.

Failing that the best alternative unfortunately is to start saving for a 2nd hard disk drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hong Kong Phooey
    Failing that the best alternative unfortunately is to start saving for a 2nd hard disk drive.
    I think the above is the best advice.

You've got your hands tied because of 1) the small space that you have available, and 2) one of your partitions also has the OS on it, so you're likely to get dropped frames as you capture.

You've not mentioned how you intend to capture i.e waht sort of capture device you have. If you're capturing using a TVin grapics card then using Virtual Dub you could probably get over an hours woth onto your space if you capture in a relatively low res and compress the avi as you capture, although the performance will depend on your PC. I've found that the best way to capture is to start big (i.e. uncompressed 13-14Gb an hour) then re-encode - that way you know you're starting with the best quality.

As for DVD ripping i.e. backing-up, it depends on the space taken up by the VOBs and IFOs of the main stream. If they're under 4.3Gb then you're OK, if they're over this you're going to have to re-encode - which meand that you need another 4.3Gb spare to re-encode the files to.
    If you just want to rip the DVD to avi then you need the space taken up by the DVD files plus about 1Gb of space on which to put the re-encoded avi.
    Added to this the fact that the more stuff on your HD the harder it will be to get maximum performane from it because of defragmentation, you've really got your back to the wall.

I'm not saying you can't do it - you're just limiting your options. Get a new HD (they're about 1£/Gb at the moment so just get what you can afford), and you will no longer have these constraints.

Good luck,

Rob
    Quote Quote