VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Updated June 26, 2003 Updated the DVD Shrink method to version 2.3.
    Updated June 2, 2003 Updated the Instantcopy register hack(using Instant Hidden Settings Editor instead) link and the InstantCopy update.
    Updated April 22, 2003 Added DVD Shrink to DVD9 to DVD5 copying methods.

This guide will explain how to copy any DVD-Video, including menus and extra materials, to a one recordable DVD(DVD+R/W or DVD-R/W) using the simpliest, fastest and cheapest tools available. It will take about 0.5 - 6 hours including burning depending how fast your computer is, how fast your DVD Drive is and what method you are going to use.

If your DVD source is under 4.38 GB (so called DVD-9), you have to reconvert it to fit on one recordable DVD-5 which means that you will lose some video quality. (Because it doesn't exists any recordable DVD-9 media.)

Quick links

Preparation - DVD-9 or DVD-5 ?
    DVD5 to DVD5 using DVD Decrypter
    DVD9 to DVD5 different methods/tools
    DVD9 to DVD5 using InstantCopy
    DVD9 to DVD5 using DVD2ONE
    DVD9 to DVD5 using DVD95Copy
    DVD9 to DVD5 using DVD Shrink
    Preparation - DVD-9 or DVD-5 ?
    How to check if the source DVD is a DVD-5 or a DVD-9.

Tools required:
    DVD Decrypter (Free software).

Insert the source DVD-Video in your DVD-ROM or DVD Writer. Launch DVD Decrypter (If you have problems running DVD Decrypter read this).
    1. Select Mode -> ISO -> Read
    2. Select your DVD Drive.
    3. Check under Number of Layers.
    If it says Number of layers: 2, it is a DVD-9 disc and then it wont fit on one recordable DVD so we must reconvert it. Jump to the DVD-9 to one recordable DVD section here.
    If it says Number of layers: 1, it is a DVD-5 disc and you can then copy and rip the entire DVD as an exact copy. Jump to the DVD-5 to one recordable DVD section here.

DVD-5 to one recordable DVD
    How to make a exact copy of DVD-5 Video, meaning that everything will be included on the recordable DVD such as menus and extra materials and no video quality loss.

Tools required:
    DVD Decrypter (Free software).

Start DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD-Video to your HD (remove the DVD encryption). (If you have problems running DVD Decrypter read this).
    3. Under Number of Layers: it should say 1, it is a DVD-5 disc.
    4. Select where to rip. You must have more free space than the size of the DVD, check the size to the right(a.).
    5. Click on the DVD>HD-image to rip the DVD to your HD.

It will take about 5-20 minutes depending how fast your DVD drive is.

Now you can directly burn the image to a recordable DVD. Insert an empty DVD-R/W or DVD+R/W in your DVD Writer. In DVD DVDDecrypter:
    1. Select Mode -> ISO -> Write
    2. Open your created .ISO file.
    3. Select your DVD Writer
    4. Burn the DVD by clicking the HD>DVD-image (test on a DVD-RW or DVD+RW first).

Done.

DVD-9 to one recordable DVD methods
    I will describe four different tools. With all tools can you keep everything including menus and extra materials. The first method is using InstantCopy, it is a bit slow(2-6 hours) but keeps pretty good quality and you can burn directly with it. One method using DVD2ONE that is very very fast(15-30 minutes) and one method using DVD Shrink that also is very fast(15-30 minutes), has built in dvd decrypting and it is FREE but you can't select exact output size. And the last method using DVD95Copy that is also kinda fast(30-200 minutes). All methods requires video converting and it means that you will lose some video quality. I would recommend DVD2ONE or DVD Shrink if you want to copy quickly and InstantCopy or DVD95Copy for a bit bettter quality but it is different from movie to movie so you have try yourself. If you want to preserve the best video quality you must convert to two DVD-5s with for example DVDFab(freeware) or DVDXCopy($99 but easy to use).

DVD9 to DVD5 with InstantCopy
    +Good quality
    +Built in burning
    -Slow
    -No dvd decrypting

DVD9 to DVD5 with DVD2ONE
    +Very fast
    -No DVD Decrypting
    -No burning

DVD9 to DVD5 with DVD95Copy
    +Fast
    -No DVD Decrypting
    -No burning

DVD9 to DVD5 with DVD Shrink
    +Very fast
    +Free
    +Built in DVD Decrypting
    -No burning
    -Can't set exact size

DVD-9 to one recordable DVD using InstantCopy
    How to copy a DVD-9 Video to one recordable DVD. Using this method you will keep everything but you will lose some video quality because it requires that you reconvert the DVD-5. This method will take about 2-4 hours.

Tools required:
    DVD Decrypter (Free software),
    Pinnacle InstanstCopy (demo available, or buy it )
    Instant copy update <-- Be sure to update if you haven't !!!
    Instant Hidden Settings Editor (Optional)
    For more detailed Instantcopy information visit mrbass Instantcopy site here (Optional)

Start DVDDecrypter to rip the DVD-Video to your HD(remove the DVD encryption). (If you have problems running DVD Decrypter read this).
    3. Under Number of layers it should say 2, it is a DVD-9 disc.
    4. Select Mode -> FILE

Rip the movie in file mode.
    1. Select Edit->Select All
    2. Select where to rip the files, you must have more free space than the size of the movie, check at the bottom right(a.).
    3. Click on the DVD>HD-image to rip.

It will take about 5-40 minutes depending how fast your DVD drive is.

Close DVD Decrypter.

Start InstantCopy
    1. Under Source choose Hard Drive and select the folder where you ripped your file and open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
    2. Choose your DVD Writer (or Hard Drive to make a image first)
    3. Click on Details
    4. Under DVD -> Copy Method change to Customized size and under Preferred Destination choose DVD.
    5. Hit Start to configure the output size and convert

Configure video size settings
    To get the best possible video quality you should reduce the video size for all extra materials as much as possible and let the main video title have the highest possible video size. You can also deselect extra materials that you do not want to include but you must then download the Instant Hidden Settings Editor and set DVDMagic to true.

1. Under the contents you can select each video title or menu and configure its settings. To select the menu click on the Video Tracks.
    2. Under the time you will see how long the title is, the main video title is the longest one the others are usually menus, trailers and other extra materials.
    3. Under the Video size you can configure how much you want reduce the file size. Drag the bar to change the size. Lower all titles that are not the movie (or tv serie main titles).
    4. Under Audio you can select what audio tracks to keep. If you remove many you get more size to the main movie which means better video quality.
    5. Under Subtitles you can select what subtitles to keep. If you want the subtitles to work keep all subtitles or else it wont work as it should(it is a bug that may be fixed in future versions).

Before hitting start, select the main movie title and drag the video size to 4.32 GB. The Data size bar at the bottom should be green.
    6. Hit start to start convert

InstantCopy will now convert your DVD-9 to one DVD-5. It will take about 1-6 hours.

Last burn the video when the insert an empy DVD popups(be sure to try on RW media first).
    (If you have choosed to make an iso(destination Hard Drive) you can burn it with InstantCopy later, just launch InstantCopy and select Hard Drive under source and open the pdi image file. To burn with another tool or use Virtual Daemon, convert the pdi image file to standard iso with pdi2iso)

Done.

DVD-9 to one recordable DVD using DVD2ONE
    How to copy a DVD-9 Video to one recordable DVD. Using this method you will lose some video quality because it requires that you reconvert the DVD-5. It will only take about about 30-60 minutes to convert and burn it.

Tools required:
    DVD2ONE (Trial available)
    CopyToDVD (Trial available).

Start DVDDecrypter to rip the DVD-Video to your HD(remove the DVD encryption). (If you have problems running DVD Decrypter read this).
    4. Select Mode -> FILE

Rip the movie in file mode.
    2. Select where to rip the files, you must have more free space than the size of the movie, check at the bottom right(a.).

Close DVD Decrypter.

Reconvert(transcode) with DVD2ONE.
    Launch DVD2ONE
    1. Choose the source where you ripped the DVD files.
    2. Choose a new destination, create a new empty VIDEO_TS folder. It requires a 4.38 GB new free HD space.
    3. Select Full disk under Copy Mode if you want to keep all menus and extra materials. If you only want the main movie choose movie-only under Copy Mode. If you choose movie-only you will get a bit better video quality, especially if it is very much extra materials and big menus. But if you want everything you must use Full disk.
    4. Hit Next

(Optional, only if converting in movie-only copy mode)
    1. Select the main movie, the part that is the longest.
    2. Hit Next

1. Select which audio tracks you want to keep. If you remove many audio tracks the video quality may improve a bit.
    2. Select which subtitles you want to keep.
    3. Select Angle 1.
    4. Hit Next to convert to one DVD.

It will take about 15-30 minutes.

Burning with CopyToDVD. It is a very simple burning tool that can burn DVD-Video.
    Start CopyToDVD
    1. Select File -> Write DVD Video
    2. Select the video_ts.ifo file that you find where you converted your video.
    Now will CopyToDVD burn the video. Try first on RW media.

(You can also use InstantDVD, Nero, Prassi PrimoDVD or RecordNow Max to burn the VIDEO_TS folder.)

Done.

DVD-9 to one recordable DVD using DVD95Copy
    How to copy a DVD-9 Video to one recordable DVD. Using this method you will lose some video quality because it requires that you reconvert the DVD-5. It will take about about 30-200 minutes to convert and burn it.

Tools required:
    DVD95Copy (Trial available)

4. Select Mode -> FILE

Rip the main movie in file mode.
    2. Select where to rip the files, you must have more free space than the size of the main movie, check at the bottom right(a.).

Close DVD Decrypter.

Reconvert(transcode) with DVD95Copy.
    Launch DVD95Copy
    1. Click on open DVD and open the VIDEO_TS folder you just have ripped.
    2. Select what audio tracks and subtitles track to keep. By getting rid of the other tracks you don't need, the movie doesn't need to be recompressed too much, which results in a better video quality of the movie.
    3. Select a new destination. You need at least 4.38 GB free HD space.
    4. Click to change between Repack extras down to: or Repack evenly. "Repack extras down to:" means that the extra materials will be be compressed with maximum compression and "Repack evenly" means that they will be compressed evenly. Choose "Repack extras down to" if you want a bit better quality on the main movie but then a bit worse quality on the extra materials.
    5. Hit Start

It will take about 30-200 minutes.

Burning with CopyToDVD. It is a very simple burning tool that can burn DVD-Video.
    Start CopyToDVD

(You can also use InstantDVD, Nero, Prassi PrimoDVD or RecordNow Max to burn the VIDEO_TS folder.)

Done.

DVD-9 to one recordable DVD using DVD Shrink
    How to copy a DVD-9 Video to one recordable DVD. Using this method you will lose some video quality because it requires that you reconvert the DVD-5. It will take about about 20-180 minutes to convert and burn it.

Tools required:
    (Optional DVD Decrypter ( Free software)),
    DVD Shrink 2.3 (Free software)

Start DVD Shrink 2.3
    You can use DVD Shrink to both rip and convert directly.
    1. Select Open Disc
    2. Select your DVD and click OK
    (1b. You can also use DVD Decrypter to first decrypt the DVD and then you choose Open Files and open the video_ts.ifo from the decrypted dvd files)

Reducing the video size, first we reduce the menus and extras video size as much as possible so we can use highest possible quality on the main video
    1. Select the Extras
    2. Choose maximum compression, Level 9-10 or use still pictures for maximum compression. More compression means that we can have higher quality for the main movie.
    3. Select the Menus
    4. Choose maximum compression. I usually use still pictures for the menus.

Now reduce the main movie size

1. Select Main movie
    2. Deselect any audio tracks you don't want, leave at least one AC3 track.
    3. Deselect any subtitles track you don't want
    4. Select the lowest level nearest the DVDR/W 4456 MB size limit (5.). Lower level means less compression which means less video quality degration. Try use a level lower then 7-8(if it wont fit even if you select level 8-10 then I would recommend to split to two discs with another tool, but you can always try and burn on DVDRW to see how it looks like).

To start convert

1. Hit Backup!
    2. Select where to save the new DVD, i usually make a VIDEO_TS folder
    3. Select region free
    4. If no Provider ID then add anything
    5. Check so you have same free space as the size of the new DVD.
    6. Hit OK.

It will take 20-120 minutes depending how fast your computer is

Done converting.

Start CopyToDVD

Done.

Problems

DVD Decrypter problems:
    DVD Decrypter requires ASPI, you can check if you have ASPI installed by download the Adaptec ASPI and run the aspichk.exe test tool. If Adaptec ASPI do not work try ForceASPI or Nero ASPI.

Playback problems:
    If you experience playback problems be sure to try different media first.

DVD-9 to one recordable DVD playback problems:
    If you experience playback problems be sure to try different burning tools. Many users have reported playback problems using Nero.

The quality suck after I converted with DVD2ONE, InstantCopy or DVD95Copy?
    In DVD2ONE try choose movie-only. In InstantCopy and DVD95Copy compress the extra materials as much as possible. But if you want to keep the video quality then copy the DVD-9 to two DVDs with for example DVDFab(freeware) or DVDXCopy($99 but easy to use).

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure which is the best burning method I should recommend when converting to one dvd. The old imgtool and dvddecrypter or the new imgtool(using neros api) or using some other tool like prassi primodvd...or something....I would prefer a free tool....and easy...but is imgtool reliable???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nice guide there, Baldrick. I've personally never used Imgtool, because it's an extra step that I have found to be unneccessary. However I am sure it works well for lots of folks out there
    Quote Quote  
  4. why are you posting guides that has all ready been writen before?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the guide,

Until now, I did not know the existance of DVD2ONE. I spend lots of time screw around with a subtitle that does not synch, and other odd problems with Rempeg2 and TMPGenc. Not to metion difficult to find DVD maestro

DVD2ONE makes DVD back up really easy and fast (encoding done in 20 min)!!!! I do not understand why do we even bother with Rempeg and TMPGenc.

I've just backed up "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" for the DVD player in my daughter's room. I was having a problem encoding this DVD with Rempeg2 and TMPGenc. I tried numerouse settings and wasting many hours. But I was unable back up this one as I did with others.

After finishing with DVD2ONE, I used nero to burn DVD and the result was very good. The total process took less than 2 hours.

Execllent guide. Excellent program

Did anyone have problems with DVD2ONE ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Baldrick- great guide! As someone above pointed out, this info is out there, but I think your guide has been the simplest to follow. It is well written and perfect for those who are just starting out.

As for burning suggestions, it seems like there are as many preferences out there as there are users of this forum. From what I can tell with DVD2ONE or any other software that does this, most of the problems occur during the burning process. This would have to be because everyone's system configuration is so different.

For example, I burn with Nero 5.5.9.17 is DVD-Video mode and I've never had a problem with any disc on any set-top player. But this simply doesn't work for everybody else.

Thanks for a great guide, and good luck with any burning updates to it!
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is a great gude, but it really could have been shortened to two sentences:

1. Rip your movie to your HD.
    2. Run DVD2one, and let it do its thing.

Honestly, this has got to THE greatest DVD backup utility ever....period. I downloaded the demo, which only let you encode 30 minutes of video, but I was hooked. I was happy to pay the $40, and would have just as happily paid more. Seriously, it makes the movie fit EXACTLY on one dvd-r, and it does it very quickly with almost no quality loss. Before this program, it usually took me 2-3 hours of very tedious work just to prepare the files for burning. Now, I start the rip, check my email, post in the SWG forums, etc. Fifteen minutes later, I run DVD2one, choose my settings, hit start, and go do something else(it's very CPU intensive). ~20 minutes later. I'm ready to burn. NO MORE HEADACHES!!!!

Although I must say that despite their recommendations I use Nero to burn, because I think it's the most reliable, and I've never gotten a bad burn with it, at least not one caused by Nero.
    Sometimes, ya just gotta.....umm, what's the word........FART???
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read and followed the guide above AND used NERO EXPRESS to burn. No coasters so far. Just add your VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS to Nero Express and burn!

Good luck! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Why is Imgtool mentioned in the guide when there isn't even any mention of how to use it in this procedure? Besides that, this was a great guide for dvd2one newbies like me!

jawgee
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does this program realy re-encode, or does it just strip the sound tracks out and re-create the vob's? If so, why does Rempeg2 and TMPGEnc take much longer to re-encode? Which gives you the highest quality out of the three programs? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. That is a good question. I know for a fact that it takes out sound tracks and also shrink the size of the movie.

I am not sure what it is doning exactly but I do know that it did better job than Rempeg2 or TMPGenc in signficantly less time.

What is this program exactly do ?
    Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  12. This is what it says on the website....

Written from scratch, it's not based on any old code, libraries or existing opensource projects.
    Time critical parts written in assembly, for the highest possible speed.

Which seems pretty straightforward to me
    red red wine you make me feel so fine
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the guide Baldrick, it was a big help. I was having a hard time getting the my movie to work on one DVD-R, but now I got it down to a science. As for the buring program, I have used RecordMax Now 4.5 in Data mode and used and empty AUDIO_TS and the VIDIE_TS file generate by DVD2one, and it work flawlessly, I will now try Nero and PrimoDVD 2.0 to see if they work also and post my results. On a side note I would also like to thank Gambis, DamIT and gobama for the help.

Peace,
    Zorin
    Quote Quote  
  14. I know this may sound stupid, but it is the only thing i am doing wrong that I can think of...

Does it matter that the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories I make are in lower case (XP does this automatically)? Is there a way to change this?

I followed the instructions exactly and it won't read in my Panasonic CV-52 DVD player. According to the instruction manual it will only play DVD-R, but I am using DVD+R. According to the DVD player section it says that people have gotten it to work with DVD+Rs.

One other thing... I didn't do anything with Nero Image Drives, I wasn't sure if I had to do that or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I am using a Sony DRU-500AX drive with Memorex DVD+R media.
    Quote Quote  
  15. juxtapoz15,

I have the exact same player you have and it plays anything I burn DVD-R DVD+R DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

I have xp and my folders are in caps. When I make the folder I hold down the shift key.

I also use Recordmax DX to burn. See link Below. I am using the sony DRX500ul.

http://dl1.easy.co.jp/rndx45_e/splash/regist.html
    Quote Quote  
  16. Now I am really confused. I made a few more movies just to test and none of them work (a different DVD-9 and a DVD-5). But I tried them on my friends Magnavox MDV 450 and all of them work. I'm not sure what I am doing to make them noncompatible on my standalone. I'm going to try and find some DVD-Rs and see if they work. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to anything.
    Quote Quote  
  17. It could be the type of media your using, your standalone player may not like it.

Peace,
    Zorin
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An interesting note about the issue of having a DVD2ONE backup pause, then play, then pause (some people have reported this).

I had this happen using a Ritek DVD-R silver top disc on a Panasonic player. I put the same disc in my Apex, played the same part, and it played fine. However, I noticed MUCH worse color artifacting on the Apex then the Panasonic.

FWIW.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I took back the memorex DVD+Rs and bought some memorex DVD-Rs ripped the same movies and both of them worked I guess it didn't like the -Rs very much.

Thanks for the help everyone!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. That's great juxtapoz15 Im glad u got it worked out.

Peace,
    Zorin
    Quote Quote  
  21. I just recently tried the ImgTool program and it does work good. Then you can burn your movie with decryptor in ISO write mode. Whichever way gets it done, go with that.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gonna try this guide and........

dvd2one site was gone, any mirrors?

(by the way, guide looks nice and easy which is why its worth a try!)
    Quote Quote  
  23. dvd decrypt.....dvd20ne......nero...........Ive used this method over and over its easy and not bad quality picture though i tend to notice the volume is down slightly...But what the heck its quicker and easy

burning with pioneer 105 various media used from 35p x1 disc's to £2 x4 discs

Packard bell dvd-rw no problems at all got to be the best guide yet

anyone got any sugestions on my volume being a little low

Monty...!!!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd2one - the site is back up

what can i say

Buy It, Buy It, Buy It

all problems solved, great little guide

THE BEST £31 you will ever spend on anything
    Quote Quote  
  25. i did everything that the directions said to do, and still cant get it to work. What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? My computer automatically says DVD-R so that is the type of media I bought; could that be effecting anything? Do I need to be encoding or authoring like some of the directions talk about? I stuck strictly to these directions and used nero. I also have instant DVD if that would be better, but I didnt know how to use that program. Could someone please help me?
    Quote Quote  
  26. i did everything that the directions said to do, and still cant get it to work. What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? My computer automatically says DVD-R so that is the type of media I bought; could that be effecting anything? Do I need to be encoding or authoring like some of the directions talk about? I stuck strictly to these directions and used nero. I also have instant DVD if that would be better, but I didnt know how to use that program. Could someone please help me?
    Razag03,

I feel your frustration bro, but you need to make sure you follow the directions for ripping and transcoding to the mark, using the two programs stated in the guide. Also the media and the type of DVD burner your using make a difference, because if the burner does't have the proper firmware to work with the media your using the movie will not burn correctly. For example I'm using a Pioneer A04 DVD-R/W burner with the 1.31 firmware, to work with the Ritek DVD-R media @ 2X. I'm using Stomp RecordNow Max v4.5 to burn the VIDEO_TS folder, which DVD2one transcodes from the rip u would made using DVD Decrypter. When burning use the Data Wizard in RecordNow Max add both a blank folder called AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folder which DVD2one made with the VOB files then burn, and viola, just about a perfect DVD movie. My DVDs that I burned would not work until I made sure the hardware was setup correctly, the right media was used and the programs for ripping and transcoding were follow to a T. The burning program which I use works for me, others have got Nero, PrimoDVD, and others to work for them. Every machine is different you just need to experiment until you find the right setup for you. I would suggest using a name brand DVD-RW to burn to, so you don' waste DVD-Rs, until you get it working. Hope this helps.

Peace,
    Zorin
    Quote Quote  
  27. I do like this method for it is very fast comparing it to the method i used before. I used DVD2VCD because i could use a variable bitrate. Then i could author a new dvd with IFOEDIT. The good thing about DVD2ONE is that DTS and subtitling ripping is very easy. Now here comes my question: is there a way to convert a DVD to 4.5 GB keeping subtitling and DTS and be able to use a VBR instead CBR? Coz when i movie is like 3 hours or more quality improves a lot when you use VBR!

Thanx
    Why drink & drive when you can SmOKe & FLY!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that why the program is so fast; because of the CBR? If it is indeed a CBR, I wonder how it compares with CCE's CBR.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Just wanted to say Thank You!
    I followed the instructions and I made a single and dual layer movie....no coasters either!
    Was my first time to try out my dvd burner.
    I wish someone would put the exact directions for using DVDXCopy.
    DVD2ONE is great for fitting on one disk. But, I would like to be able to go for the quality too...but can't figure out how to use DVDXCOPY.
    Quote Quote