VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I added new part into original post...

How to add backround music to an DVD Menu from CD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi donpedro.
    I have had the opportunity to test S8 before buying and have a couple of questions if you could assist.
    I captured some analogue footage from my vhs-c camcorder with no problems and edited successfully with S8, adding transitions, titles etc (wonderful!) and saved as mpeg2 at 8000kb/sec, 48 audio (I intend to output to dvd) - it took a while (as I expected).
    As I'm a big fan of TMPGEnc I saved the same file as an avi this time, intending to encode with TMPGEnc.
    My problem is it seemed to be taking just as long to create an avi as S8 takes to create an mpeg2.
    Is this normal?
    I must confess as it was 60 minute footage I stopped it as I didn't have the time to wait but I ask myself what is the point of saving as an avi and then encoding with TMPGEnc if both processes take so long?
    I can't imagine S8 is much worse an encoder than TMPGEnc, right?
    Is it normal for the 'save avi' funtion in S8 to take a long time?
    My other question is when I was creating an mpeg2 I set the bitrate to 12000kb/sec on a 45 minute capture (if I remember correctly the overall capture filesize was 8gb and had around 30 seperate clips) and it froze half way through. Was this because I set the bitrate higher than 8000kb/sec?
    I've since split the files into three and encode no more than 8000kb/sec and had no problems, although there will come a time when I need to encode a full 60 minute clip in one file and hope I don't get the same freeze.
    Do you know why it might have froze?
    Thanks for any assistance,
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Silky,

First of all, my captures are DV AVI from DV camcorder so experience might be different than yours.

1. It should be fast to save to AVI as soon as you use same codec as you used for capture. For me it is DV AVI. Since you are capturing from analogue source = not firewire, I assume that you are probably using different codec for capturing.

2. Advantage of saving to AVI and encoding in TMPGEnc is (in case that are able to fix "save avi time" issue) is that by saving in same AVI codec only transitions will get re-encoded and rest of the footage is in same quality as capture and some people prefer to encode to MPEG2 in TMPGEnc where they have more options to tweak encoding. I found quality of PS8 mpeg2 DVD encoding sufficiant for home video.

3. 12000 kb/s is not valid for DVD mpeg2. At least that is my understanding based on information on thos site. Anyway, that is not excuse for PS8 to freeze. I don't know what was reason for that. Only sugestions that I have for this kind of problems are posted in first post in this thread. Optimize OS, PC and minimize any other activity during encoding. Sorry I can't help more with this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by donpedro
    It should be fast to save to AVI as soon as you use same codec as you used for capture. For me it is DV AVI. Since you are capturing from analogue source = not firewire, I assume that you are probably using different codec for capturing.
    Of course, how silly of me.
    I captured using Virtualdub using the PicVideo MJPEG codec.
    This time I'll capture using Pinnacle Studio DV and then save as avi. using exactly the same codec I use for capture.

Advantage of saving to AVI and encoding in TMPGEnc is (in case that are able to fix "save avi time" issue) is that by saving in same AVI codec only transitions will get re-encoded and rest of the footage is in same quality as capture and some people prefer to encode to MPEG2 in TMPGEnc where they have more options to tweak encoding. I found quality of PS8 mpeg2 DVD encoding sufficiant for home video.
    For me, the issue is time.
    TMPGEnc tends to encode in x 3.5 the running time, ie. one hour will take 3.5hours to encode.
    If Studio8 is slower I'll use TMPGEnc for encoding.
    I notice your instructions in your first post for ensuring Studio8 doesn't re-encode the mpeg2 file produced by TMPGEnc, I'll follow those instructions.
    Thanks,
    Will

12000 kb/s is not valid for DVD mpeg2. At least that is my understanding based on information on thos site. Anyway, that is not excuse for PS8 to freeze. I don't know what was reason for that. Only sugestions that I have for this kind of problems are posted in first post in this thread. Optimize OS, PC and minimize any other activity during encoding. Sorry I can't help more with this.
    I guess it was a 'one off' as it hasn't done it since I reduced the encoding to 8000kb/sec.
    Thanks for your help,
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How to prepare VIDEO_TS driectory for burning
    Here I will explain where you can find VIDEO_TS dir with all files that you need for burning DVD if you are not using Studio 8 for burning....
    ...recomendation is to use all uppercase and put also empty VIDEO_TS dir on DVD)
    I think you mean empty AUDIO_TS folder, yes?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yep.. let me fix it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by donpedro
    Based on my current knowledge, you should be able to author dvd compliant MPEG2 file without re-encodig if it is smaller than 60 minutes. If it is longer you can still do it but it will re-encode if you select "Video qualiyt = Automatic".

Burning ? I am not sure which burner is supported or not, but it has burning option. In worst case you can create VIDEO_TS folder and burn with different program.
    Hey! I appreciate your help.

Here is a question. It sounds like you are saying that the only way to avoid re-encoding in S8 is to keep the length of the movie shorter than 60 minutes.

Here is a case... My movie is one hour 15 minutes long. This requires roughly 7500 bitrate in order to fit it in a DVD. If I were to import this into S8 and make a DVD, even if I use lower quality setting (ie. Most Video) the program will still re-encode the already-encoded file?

Oh.. by the way, S8 does not let me use the Best Video Quality setting if the movie is longer than 60 minutes.

What if I use the custom setting with the same bitrate as my video? Would it still re-encode?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Jaeshin,

I always leave it at "Video Quality = Custom 4000" and S8 does not re-encode (even when it technically should!). It will render any motion menus, but then it goes immediately to "compile disk". I use MPEG sound, stereo. I have read some reports of problems where S8 re-encodes when the sound is PCM. I dont have any personal experience with that.

I think DonPedro explains this somewhere else in this thread, but basically if you have a quality = Custom 4000 and you have a compliant MPEG2 video, S8 *should* not re-encode. It does not for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I did only limited testing wit "re-encoding". The idea was to test it if it is possible to author mpeg2 encoded outside of PS8 without re-encoding. Result ... ? It is. jaeshin, I know that it takes some time, but best will be if you can try it and let us know what are your findings. It looks like jarroyo is more experienced it this area. Idea is to see "compiling" as soon as possible
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am continuing my questions and comments in the following post.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=504433#504433

Thank you donpedro and jarroyo.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am in Australia (Pal)... I have a Sony TRV16E (Digital) and have a AMD XP1.6 gig computer with Studio 8 DV setup with the Firewire card installed.... now..

What I want to do is make a DVD to send to a mate in the USA... I have shot the film with my PAL camcorder and what steps do I need to take when caputring with Studio 8 so I can burn in NTSC format ?? ... I have opened Studio 8 and in the Capture Window I click on the Settings button and then click on Capture Source tab and it asks me to select PAL or NTSC.. my question is ..is THAT setting asking me what kind of camera or TV I have or what I want the finished project to BE ??? ... I really need help from here..... dont know what or how to do it.... I would really love some help....
    Quote Quote  
  12. zzviper.

That option is greyed out for me. It's set to NTSC. I think the program automatically detects whether the camcorder is set to PAL or NTSC in my case.

Well... in any case, I think you can capture and edit your video in PAL format then when you encode it, change it to NTSC in TMPGEnc or CCE.

Maybe others can help you better with this.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well.... simple solution comes to my mind.... There are many players thta can play PAL disk here in US I am not sure if program as itself can do conversion on the fly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am just a newbie about to embark in using Studio 8 to create DVD's from my 8MM tapes and just perusing this topic is already a big help.

Question: can we create smartsounds from cd or mp3 music, if so, how does one do it?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by gee69
    Question: can we create smartsounds from cd or mp3 music, if so, how does one do it?
    No. Smart sound is smart. It will change based on lenght. But you can definitely use sound from CD (not sure about mp3). I use it for my DVD menus.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Steps used to author DVD
    -Capture DV AVI's by Studio
    -Edit scenes by Studio
    -Create multiple DVD menus in Studio
    -Render to MPEG2 by Studio
    -Author (Make Disc) by Studio
    -Burn with Nero
    Hi Donpedro,

I am a little bit confused with render and author. I edit scenes, tried to create a menu, add background music, titles (all this in EDIT). Then my next step is Make movie and select disc (and this is where I see that it is rendering). Now the above steps is render and author. Enlighten me as to why I see different when I do things.

Also, I see the DVD status just below the disk status. How does one zero out those Free minutes and used minutes. I thought everytime you start a new Make movie on disc, that would initialize to zero...

Do you mind if I email you or PM you if I have questions. or do I have to post everytime

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a project which has 2 chapters. I created a Menu using one of the templates. I created C1 and C2 corresponding to my scenes. Now, in the menu dialog, it asks me if I want to return to the main menu after each chapter and I said yes. So looking at the timeline, I see at the beginning I have M1 and at the start of my first chapter I see C1..at the end of chapter 1, I see M1 and then C2. I think that's how it works.

Well, while I was doing an earlier post, I was watching the rendering and after it finished rendering the first chapter, it went back to it and kind of went fast (the scrubber), then I saw that it went thru the 2nd chapter in also a fast manner)..after which it went back to the 2nd chapter and now th scrubber is rendering very slow. Is this normal, it seems that it went through it twice.

In the preview window, what is th second line for. I am creating a DVD.

Thanks for your help...my project just hung.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Is there a way to control the volume of the background music?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes, there is volume adjustments for the movie track, music track and sound effects track in the audio tool. On the movie timeline on the left end theres a camera and a speaker. Click on the speaker. This brings up the audio tool. I think the second down is the volume controls. The audio for each track can also be ramped up or down at the beginning or end or anywhere in between as well.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  20. gee69, post here so others can learn too.

I am not sure what is your question ? In your case when you hit "Make movie" it is actualy doing two things. First it will render AVI to MPEG2. At that time you can see in status "Rendering". After that is done then it will take that MPEG2 and creates DVD structure (VOB files). At this time you can see in status "Compiling Disc...". You can EDIT in PS8 (no menu at this time), export to DV AVI, render (or encode) in (for example) TMPGnc. Take that MPEG2 file back to PS8 add menu and hit "Make movie". Now (if you follow rules posted at the beggining) you will see that "Rendering" is very short (only menus).

Minutes are based on bitrate that you have in your setup for project and lenght of video in timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I am not sure what do you mean by "Now, in the menu dialog, it asks me...". But it should be

1. Beggining C1
    2. Before start of second chapter M1(<=), and right after that C2
    3. On the end you should have M1(<=) again

I have to check rendering think. I will update this post.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Donpedro,

Thank you for answering my posts. I have exactly the same as your timeline in M1, C1, C2 and M1 again. This is doing menus in PS8 in Edit mode. Then why do we have to bring it to TMPgenc to create menus?

There is an option or an icon in PS8 that you can create DVD menus and chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by gee69
    Then why do we have to bring it to TMPgenc to create menus?
    No. You don't have to. It's an optional. Some people prefer encoding in TMPGEnc. I usualy let PS8 to do encoding.
    Originally Posted by gee69
    There is an option or an icon in PS8 that you can create DVD menus and chapters.
    I don't undertand this.

To keep it simple. Do everything in PS8. That is the best and easiest solution.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having problems with my rendering of a 20 minute avi file with just 2 chapters, 1 DVD menu, background smartsound music and transitions. About 75% into rendering it just hangs and then the PC reboots. After reboot, reformatted the 92GB 7200 RPM 8MB Maxtor ATA 133 drive and start all over. Went to task manager and ended the processes (antivirus, AIM, yahoo IM, etc) and started to make disc again and failed almost at the same area on my 2nd clip. Almost 75% done and no error messages that shows..just hangs and reboots.

Any advise on how to render successfully? If not, using Studio 8, what would be the best companion TMPgenc Plus or TMPGenc DVD author for me to successfully render what I have for the .avi file above and create those files (VIDEO_TS folder, vob, ifo files) needed to be burned to DVD.

Thank you for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  25. 1. What is version of your PS8

2. I know that TMPgenc Plus does encoding. Not sure about TMPGenc DVD author.

3. Try what I did. Install separate Windows (everythink that I don't need disabled and no additional sofware) just for PS8 and make multi boot PC.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 8.8.17
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Donpedor: Some questions on capture and file format.
    1. in Capture settings, it is et to DV...is this avi format, if not, what file format is it.
    2. when you go to edit and drag the captured video and you change some stuff like trimming and so on, is the original video touched or overwritten when you say "save project".
    3. in save project, is the project name just a pointer and contains all the edits, transitions and others.
    4. where does these edits, transitions, titles, music reside? is it in a file? what format?

Sorry for these questions, but the manual is not quite clear...just skimmed thru it, frankly...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gee69
    Having problems with my rendering of a 20 minute avi file with just 2 chapters, 1 DVD menu, background smartsound music and transitions. About 75% into rendering it just hangs and then the PC reboots. After reboot, reformatted the 92GB 7200 RPM 8MB Maxtor ATA 133 drive and start all over. Went to task manager and ended the processes (antivirus, AIM, yahoo IM, etc) and started to make disc again and failed almost at the same area on my 2nd clip. Almost 75% done and no error messages that shows..just hangs and reboots.
    You may have an overheating problem. If you have an AMD chip, this is a known occurance. Try to get a temp monitor for your PC and watch the temp as it renders. I have one called Motherboard Monitor that can be found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I hope the info helps.
    Burn Baby Burn
    It's a Disk-o Inferno
    Quote Quote  
  29. 1. It is DV AVI format. AVI file encoded with DV codec.

2. No. Only pointers are saved in project file. Original captured files remain untouched.

3. Project file contain pointers, yes.

4. There is an direcotry "Auxiliary Files" (see your setup) that holds files with edited parts of project. At least that is what I think. Check if I am correct.
    Quote Quote  

30. donpedro - you are awesome for bringing up this forum. I am having trouble w/ pinnacle studio, and maybe you can help.

I have had trouble for a couple months. finally started all over - re-loaded the program, downed the update too. Created a project - two films w/ a menu screen & transition between the two. Created disc, rendered fine, but then got a message saying something like "incorrect media type" which it was correct - re-inserted. then the program told me there was not enough room on c-drive - which there is plenty of room. so i closed the program down. re-opened the project and started to "create disc" again. it started to re-render everything. I stopped because i am sure it will do the same thing again. (it has happened every time i've tried creating a disc w/ menu screen.) if you have any ideas, i would be happy to hear. thanks.
    Quote Quote