VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am new with this whole movie thing with xvid codec and other codec....and avi's, mpeg's and the whole nine yards. Can anybody out there tell me what is a good option to do with what I have. Ok, I have no dvd-burner, but i have a cd burner...I have a movie that i downloaded off the net (bloodworks) and it is in .avi format, it is xvid codec compression, and it plays great in windows media player, but the thing is i don't want to sit at a junky wooden chair and watch this on a little monitor.....i have a playstation2 which has a dvd player in it but i know that it isn't that great and it wouldn't prolly work if i burned this onto cd and tried playing it....but i am willing to buy a nice dvd player and in a couple months a dvd burner.....but for now can anyone explain to me like i'm a 4 year old what a VCD really is, and what is the major benefit of converting my bloodworks.avi movie file with xvid codec to another format would be?? what is the major benefit on changing formats?? and also i heard about xvid cannot be played on most dvd players...can anyone help me please?? your help is greatly appreciated.....

-Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my best advice is to read,read,and read some more. you can start
    <------here:"what is" and then work your way down.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, thanx for the reply, but i have read all these articles and they are great articles but it seems that you have to have a little knowledge on the subject of video.....i have no knowledge of this subject at all.....basically i just want to know what's the benefit of converting from .avi with xvid codec to mpeg-layer1 or mpeg layer2 or whatever.....what's the major benefit of doing that.....this movie is in great format but i heard that movies with xvid codec can not be played on most dvd players??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i was reading over again and i went a little slower and i am starting to understand a little better....basically the xvid is the video compression that was used to originally make this movie......but is divx and xvid the same thing?? that's what i'm not sure on......i have .avi with xvid compression and i can't find anything on this site that talks about xvid compression or codec
    Quote Quote  
  5. Both DivX and XviD are MPEG-4 based AVI codecs. They are not the same but they are used to do the same thing.

Neither can be played on stand-alone DVD players (with the rare singular exception for DivX).

If you want to make a video disc that can be played on most stand-alone DVD players, you will need to make a VCD or SVCD (or DVD of course).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, i appreciate your respond, it has helped me understand a lot more about my situation. you stated this "If you want to make a video disc that can be played on most stand-alone DVD players, you will need to make a VCD or SVCD (or DVD of course)." How can i make a dvd out of what i have right now?? can i convert my .avi with xvid codec movie to a different format with different encoding?? or do i have to decode?? i just want to know what you would do if you downloaded what i downloaded.....what would you do if you were in my shoes?? i am looking for the best resolution possible on either dvd or cd.....just the best resolution possible.....i appreciate your time and your last response it was very helpful

-dave
    Quote Quote