VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you can NOT burn as VCD or SVCD on DVD±R/W. You must author and burn the VCD/SVCD as a DVD-Video or it wont work on a standalone DVD Player.

How to put VCD(s) on a DVD with no reconverting of the video
    VCD to DVD guide (Read this first for some basic DVD-VCD information)
    or
    VCD2DVDMPG guide
    or
    even more VCD to DVD guides

How to put SVCD(s) on a DVD with no reconverting of the video
    Moviefactory SVCD to DVD guide (Read this first for some basic DVD-SVCD information)
    or
    SVCD2DVDMPG guide
    or
    even more SVCD to DVD guides
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have had a look at your conversion guide as a friend wanted to know how to convert some vcds or svcds to dvd. I have a query. You show TMPEnc to demultiplex streams from dat or mpg files from the svcds. There is a problem as the dat files are at a different bitrate to normal and have to be converted to true mpeg using vcdgear from http://www.vcdgear.com The author even has the required settings for svcds on his message board.

Doing this seem to have corrected sync issues with video and audio.

I have found another similar guide at :-
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/svcd2dvdr.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iron where did you see that guide b/c thats the problem im have is audio sync problems. and can you tell me if your having success with taking the (s)vcd file off the dcr and making it into a dvd and can you tell me exactly what programs you are using ive been racking my brains ever since i got this dvd burner so many bad dvd with out of sync problem and ive been authoring dcs for awhile now

pls help thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. So how do I get the VCD files without actually using up a CDR? Can I use some program to put them on my HDD so I can better transfer them to DVDR?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    wetling: what do you mean? do you have bin/cue files or what exactly?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have MPEG1 files that I can tell Nero to burn to a CDR as a VCD. Other than that, I don't know how to get the bin/cue files.

I'd like to know how I can get those files (other than burning the MPEG1s to a CDR) so I can put them on a DVD.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. its still a pain to do, i'd rather just rencode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    wetling: have you tried read this http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcddvdr ???
    Quote Quote  
  9. That's what I'm trying to do. But as I said, I don't have any .dat files to convert. I only have MPEG files. For instance, here is the contents of a folder on my hard drive:

Folder Name: Video
    File Name: Video.mpg

That's it. I need to know how to create the additional files needed to complete the tutorial you posted, without using up a CDR.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    wetling: Just skip step 1.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is crazy im not dumb and i can read, now i tried every step to chandge my DOWNLOADED MOVIE FILES THAT ARE ON DISK(CDR) to try to burn them to dvdr the way the guides say and i get nothing.

well on the svcd guide i think i got close but the file says 1.9gigs but

dvdit (shows file to be way larger that 4.7gigs)

mydvd (says not enuff space exceeds 650mb on cdr when i have settings for dvd)

dvd factory2 ( will process it but always wants to convert files for some reason and i left on all night for like 10hrs and it was still converting and i have a fast processor) why does it try to convert if i followed the guide correctly and the guide says nothing about converting

pls help.

can some1 pls tell me exactly how they do it the exact programs (versions included) and everything if they used cdrs that have movies off the net on them and everything the whole 9 yards

THANK YOU
    Quote Quote  
  12. Baldrick, thanks, that was really messing me up. I skipped that and I thought it was going to work, but Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 tells me that it "Failed to convert video file Error: 80041c21" when I try to output
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Worked fine for me. Could please describe exactly what you have done?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Nope. Worked fine for me. Could please describe exactly what you have done?
    hey "Baldrick" you seem to be the expert in this forum and well i want to know if you can burn a cvd as a dvd. I know you can but when i make a CVD i make it with 48000khz so then it really isnt a cvd but it will still play if i burn it as a non standard svcd. ok now like if i want to burn 3 cvd movies on a DVD+R how do i do it just Drag the mpg files of the movies in to the authoring program and it will create the ifo and Bup files automatically.

Thanks in advance.
    Cecilio
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK This works great for me, as long as your DVD player will play SVCD's happily.

Rip the mpeg file with VCDEasy.

Split the streams with TMPGEnc (Simple Demultiplex).

Convert the MP2 audio stream to 48k from 44.1 with Besweet.

Use IFO Edit to create a DVD using the new audio stream and the orginal m2v stream.

Repeat for the other discs so you have 3 DVD structures.

Join the vobs using VOBEdit to make one set of VOB's, then use IFO Edit to create the bups and ifo's and burn to DVD-R. Works great and so far has played on a fair few players with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I haev followed the (new) VCD-DVD instructions to the letter the best I can.
    The version of TMPEGEnc I use doesn't have an "high quality" "low quality" in the Audio section... but other than that, it appears all else is the same.
    I have SSRC installed and loaded as the external audio converter.

The files I start with are all straight VCD mpegs already. So I demultiplex, then convert the audio to 48khz... then remultiplex as in the instructions.

After creating the DVD, the audio is out of sync. Plain and simple. I cannot figure out why for the life of me.. but it's driving me nuts.

The only thing I notice when I create the ISO (or burn straight) is that it mentioned multiplexing the audio and video. It's not re-encoding. Multiplexing. Not sure why... or if it's SUPPOSED to be saying that.

What's going on?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried 348730948 different vcd (and svcd and even avi) to dvd methods and all have different problems...now I also got sync problems using moviefactory. I'm soon going back to vhs.

You could try let moviefactory reencode the audio for you(it will not reconvert the video). Add the vcd mpg(converted with vcdgear or isobuster from dat to mpg) and choose under project settings do no convert mpeg files and the click mpeg settings and choose customize and under compression select mpeg audio instead of lcpm. Now will moviefactory only reencode the audio. (the total size should be about the same as the vcd mpgs)
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you joined the vcd mpgs? It may sometimes cause sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm not sure what you mean "join the vcd mpgs".
    They are multiplexed. I tried both making a multi-vcd and single-vcd DVDs.
    t-
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by tsnake
    The files I start with are all straight VCD mpegs already. So I demultiplex, then convert the audio to 48khz... then remultiplex as in the instructions.
    Have you tried combining the streams in IFOEdit to make VOB's to see if it stays in sync then?

I have had no end of grief doing this time & again. Remultiplexing and joining clips is where it all falls apart every time.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick

Ive been trying to use your guide to putting VCDs onto DVD-r. Im loading mpeg file converted to VCD with TMPGenc. They are all in PAL format, im setting movie factory to output to PAL and selecting mpeg audio and do not convert compliant mpeg files. MF always reconverts the video, which takes hours, and even though file size is ok, after proceesing it says not enough space to burn.

Any Help Thaks Roy
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    roy: try convert the audio to 48 khz with tmpgenc first. read the problems sections of the guide.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick

Just tried a test, converted audio to 48000 with a 100meg mpeg, this works fine but with a 103meg shown it comes up with error not enough disk space, even though it is a blank rw showing 4.4 gb available

Roy
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well yes you can, if you have a DVD player that supports file play, like the Daewoo DVG-4000S. I theroized last Nov in this Forum that it might work, but not until I got the Pioneer A05 DVD burner yesterday was I able to test my theory out. The Daewoo does file directory browse for mp3 playback and allows you to browse through folders as well as see the root. One day I had some mp3's on a CDR that I wanted to test on the Daewoo I just bought , the CDR had a couple of small Mpeg1 & Mpeg2 files on it also, when I stuck the disk in and looked at the directory I saw the MP3's with a MP3 Icon next to them and also I saw the Mpeg files with a VCD Icon next to them. I said cool, and I clicked on one of the Mpeg files and it played it perfectly. So I considered buying a Pioneer A04 to burn data DVDs with Mpeg files on them, thinking I could get about 3 complete movies of SVCD quality on it. Well I posponed buying the A04 to wait on the A05. Yesterday I burned the first 6 episodes of John Doe (They were all MPEG2 SVCD files), on 1 DVD-R using nero with the "DVD-ROM (ISO) option" and crossed my fingers. 15 minutes later I stuck the DVD-R in the Daewoo and the directory tree came up with the 6 files on it and each file had the VCD Icon next to it (I was excited). I clicked on the first one and it played perfectly (YEAH !!!). Got 6 hours of SVCD Movies on 1 DVD-R and it only took 15 mins to create it. Well I went out and bought another Daewoo DVD player for 69 bucks as a back up. Hope this info helps you.

Peace out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thought i'd share my experiences on this issue with you guys. I was flaberghasted to find that there was no simple way to author svcds on dvdrs. I followed baldricks guide & got about a 70% success rate. Sync issues were my main downfall. I tried resampling with Sound Forge to get back in sync - but had random results.

It seemed to me that sync issues were down to either TMPGEnc ( i could demux followed by a mux, nothing else & everything was all over the place....) and cut/join/editing of mpgs. If any of these operations had been performed (either by me or the original encoders) - disaster. So, for example, TV episodes with the adverts cut by the encoders usually resulted in sync issues on the dvdr.

Anyway i found other tools and only used good sources and now have 99% success.

Another issue is the authoring software. If your (s)vcd mpegs have different bitrates then if you use DVDMF, for example, the VOBS produced can contain data of these different bitrates and often this will lead to sync issues. I would recommend authoring products which produce a seperate VOB per (s)vcd to avoid this issue.

CB
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    No, you can NOT burn as VCD or SVCD on DVD±R/W.
    ok but why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    daredevil wrote:
    ok but why?
    #1. (S)VCD's use Multiple tracks (usually) vs. DVD's use 1 track
    #2. (S)VCD's use XA Mode2Form1&2 track types vs. DVD's use Mode1 type
    #3. (S)VCD's use ISO9660/CDI bridge filesystem vs. DVD's use ISO9660/microUDF bridge filesystem (this one's not that big a deal)
    #4. (S)VCD's put bulk of MPEGs as raw data tracks (no EDC/ECC) vs. DVD's put MPEGs as normal data files
    #5. VCD's mux MPEGs as MPEG1 system streams vs. SVCD's mux as MPEG2 program stream specialized for SuperVideoCD vs. DVD's mux as MPEG2 (uber-)program streams specialized for DVD--known as VOBs. These include items which normal program streams aren't capable of, such as LPCM audio.
    #6. (S)VCD's use 44.1kHz audio vs. DVD's use 48kHz audio (maybe not a big deal for some players, but VERY difficult to get authored without sync probs).
    #7. (S)VCD's use PBC structure for Menuing/Branching vs. DVD's use IFO/VOB structure.

Need I go on?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. I see...
    You describe the way dvd-video are written
    the main problem is the way the dvd is burn, is there a way to burn a dvd as a cd (write several tracks on a dvd, use mode 2, ISO9660/CDI, use pbc instead of ifo/vob )?
    Quote Quote