VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, well it looks dark on the computer.. just this one avi file... so how to make it brighter???
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what you using....if you want a vcd compatable mpg then use TMPG and click on advance>simple color corection>one of the sliders say britness adjust that...it will run on entire clip as it converted.

If you want to stay as avi....use VirtualDub and enable a filter for brightness....you may also have to click on full processing mode to use filter.....not sure about that though. Save as another avi and the filter you selected will be used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have the same issue with an avi i recently downloaded. is there anything i could use to just change the brightness without having to reencode the file? or any virtualdub guides to do this? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vato76 View Post
    i have the same issue with an avi i recently downloaded. is there anything i could use to just change the brightness without having to reencode the file? or any virtualdub guides to do this? thanks.
    You can't change the video in any way without re-encoding it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AVI is a container that can accept many formats, including lossless compression. To say that it looks dark isn't a description that anyone here could advise about without guessing. You can post a short few seconds here in the forum. Is it "dark" because it was a home movie that's underexposed? A poor capture from other media?

One of the worst ways to lighten such a video is to use a "brightness" filter. But that depends on how it actually looks.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It could even be a levels issue (full range vs YV range) depending on the type of video inside the AVI, the way the PC video card is set up in respect to levels, the media player being used, how it's preferences are set, the phase of the moon, and whether it's rained recently.

It could even be the AVI in question is displaying correctly while the majority of video is actually too light and vato76 doesn't realise that.... I watched video using the wrong levels on a PC monitor for years, until one day I watched one too many which hadn't had the black borders cropped, and it finally annoyed me enough to ask in a forum such as this one why my black b borders were dark grey instead of black.
    Quote Quote