VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well.. My family bought a Yamaha DVD S520 yesterday, and we're having problems. Playback was great at first. Fantastic video and audio quality, both for DVD and SVCD. After a while we noticed though, the movie we were watching just stopped, and the player tried to read the disc for about 2 minutes, than stopped and said "disc error". After that, when you insert a disc (no matter what format it is), the player will try to identify it for 2 or 3 minutes, then just spit it out. If you leave the player be for a while, it can play discs again. To me, this seems like a heat problem, but after having read some comments here on VCDHelp, I think it might be a firmware problem. I have understood that the firmware in the Yamaha is in fact Philips firmware, and I'm hoping I can do a firmware upgrade. I saw someone in the DVD Player comparison section of this site that had done it. Right now, the firmware information line says:
    4.15.H-0 020110 P2 5.1.14

Is there a later version I can upgrade to? If so, exactly how do I do it (how to burn it to a cd etc)?

I would rather try to fix this myself than return it to the store, since it will be like a week until my dad will be able to go there, and I have a lot of movies I would like to watch

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ok.. It's not a firmware problem. I upgraded to 15.1-O (I think, don't have it in front of me), and it was still the same after that (and yes, the upgrade worked. I checked the version number in the menus).
    Anyone got another solution? Or should I just go change it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Please, doesn't anyone know what might be the problem? I would really like to not have to return it, or at least be able to watch some movies until I do return it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had the same type of problem with my DVD S510 (also based on Philips) after over one year! It was definitely a heat problem and I returned the player to yamaha (they changed). In my opinion you can do nothing but return.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello cerbero_,

sorry I can't help you with your problem, but could you please send me the link to the firmware update for the s520?

I searched the whole(!!) internet for it and only found dead links.

Thanks in advance

duke1651
    Quote Quote