VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Steve,

Can you post a 352x480 Mpeg2 sample on your site? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since the the Navis Pro uses the same chips as the WinTV PVR-250/350, does the Navis Pro software/drivers work with the PVR-250?

Anyone willing to experiment?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Where do I get a copy of the drivers?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Good news..

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of the mpeg-2 decoder and driver for the PVR-250, and it seems to have solved two problems. First, changing channels, recording format and so is twice as fast as before. Second, the problem with high bit rate previewing seems to be solved. I only tested it for a few minutes, but it did not perform sluggish like before. So, if this is not a fluke, the two major problems have already been solved!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Steve!

A am very satisfied with VCDs made with VirtualDub/PicMJPEG/TMPEG with noise reduction. But because of the long encoding time (12 hours for one movie) I'm thinking about to buy a PVR 250, but there are still some things that I'd like to know...

1. Does the PVR 250 work in PAL format as well as in NTSC?

2. Is there a way to adjust brightness/contrast like it is done in VirtualDub with the histogram preview option?

3. How do you compare VCD quality to TMPEG a) without and b) with TMPEGs noise reduction filter?

M!chael
    Quote Quote  
  6. How does the Hauppauge products compare to the Leadtek?

I'm considering getting the WinTV-PVR Model #880 from Hauppauge or the Leadtek Winfast 2000TV XP.

The latter one got very good reviews except for a glitch in audio on turning off, I believe.
    http://www.ocprices.com/indexb.php?rev_id=5&cat_id=64

I don't know if the Hauppauge interface can be compacted to show just a narrow framed window without all those controls.

I would like to use it to archive VHS Video and TV programs to DVD or VCD. Image quality and card stability is a must.

I may consider a Hauppauge HD-Card but the cable company has no HD Channels (TimeWarner), the on the air channels are few, and the card cannot output to a standard NTSC TV. It can only output to HD-TV or Computer monitor.

Are the Hauppauge cards worth their higher price , it seems the quality of the competition is close or on par at much lower prices ?

Which card you recommend for my needs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    M!chael
    1: If you ref to the Tuner NO
    2: It should be able adjust brightness/contrast on perview I think no it dosen't have histogram preview option.
    3: Compare your VCD clip to Steve clip then you know.

VideoMann there is no compare the WinTV-PVR to the Leadtek Winfast 2000TV XP that should be Hauppauge WinTV-FM.
    VideoMann I don't think want a HDTV card.
    VideoMann you be better off with new WinTV-PVR 250/350 which I think dose a much better job at VCD/SVCD image quality over older WinTV-PVR.

Steve they switch back to older intervideo 2.3 dircetshow drv for now ver 3.0 to 3.2 have nothing but problem for some user hope lee intervideo will do something with ver 4.0 drv by makeing more compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  8. SHS,

I think I made an error with my question #1. I am from Germany and so my English is not perfect.

What I was trying to ask is if the quality of PAL captures is as good as captures in NTSC format.

I once saw a poll in some other forum where most of the NTSC users were quite satisfied with the product, while most of the PAL users weren't.

At Steve's web site I read that he is capturing in NTSC as well as in PAL format and so I thought he would know...

M!chael
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That ok M!chael beside nobody perfect.
    There a few user on the PVR forum that are from Germany that do own the new PVR 250 ask tomson, nasa on the forum.
    Yes M!chael that ture that more about the older PVR model 880 or 883.
    He ask for PAL and SECAM capture option I sure that this has to with the tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by VideoMann
    How does the Hauppauge products compare to the Leadtek?

I'm considering getting the WinTV-PVR Model #880 from Hauppauge or the Leadtek Winfast 2000TV XP.

The latter one got very good reviews except for a glitch in audio on turning off, I believe.

the leadtek winfast tv2000 xp is not good at all. i've had personal experience with it. don't believe any of the good reviews of it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The tuner is specified to one system, NTSC or PAL/SECAM, I'm pretty sure. It says NTSC on my tuner. As for the composite or S-video input, it should be able to do all systems. However, the system it set during installation, and I have not seen any options in any menu to switch to PAL when I installed the software to be for NTSC. Also, all resolutions are listed for NTSC only, not PAL resolutions. You might have to reinstall the software to capture "the other" format.

I have gotten some feedback on the VCD captures, it seems to repeat every 4th frame. This might be some kind of 30pfs to 24pfs conversion going on on VCD captures? This is something that has to be looked at more. Still, the VCD captures does look better and better as I record more with the PVR-250, so does SVCD captures. DVD captures are stunning! And with the latest driver and encoder, there is not much wrong with the PVR-250!

I'll post an IP address for downloading some clips, BUT only if you really want them. If the traffic gets to big, I'll pull the plug!
    http://64.213.114.237/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Steve,

You know more about this stuff than I do, but when I had the Creative Labs Digital VCR, unless I used inverse 3:2 pulldown for re-encoding in TMPGenc, I would see blocks in high motion scenes when played on my Apex DVD player, that were not there when played on my computer.

Originally Posted by skittelsen
    If there are blocks in the video when it's interlaced, it will also be there when it's deinterlaced, and vice versa.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Steve as for before you can setup min channel as you want.
    1: Click on CHAN button
    2: Click on Add button pick the rigth source you need.
    3: Give it Channel Number, Channel Name, Desription, Match the Preset with Channel Number, Pick the rigth Video format should look something like this.
    Channel Number "pick a number"
    Channel Name "PAL Compostie"
    Desription "PAL Compostie"
    Preset "pick a number"
    Video format "Any country format weather it be PAL or NTSC and SVideo box is check or uncheck for Compostie"

If the traffic gets to big for you I can one them on my site temp beeing I avg only avg 2GB a month I have 20GB limet per month 175MB free space.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Steve,

Can you capture at lower SVCD bitrates in SVCD with the 250 like 1700 kbps for example? If so, how good do those look? Any blocks at the lower bit rates?
    Quote Quote  
  15. You should be able to use any bit rate, I have not tried lower bit rates yet.

As for encoding interlaced/de-interlaced.

*When* encoding, you will get less "blocks" if you use 30pfs to 24fps (Inverse telecine, 3:1 pulldown or whatever you call it) and/or when deinterlacing *before* encoding. The less frames, and the less motion in the video will give less compression artifacts after encoding.

After the file has been encoded, it should make no difference if you're playing the file interlaced or deinterlaced as far as compression artifacts go. I'm just using my logic here, not that I have actually tried it...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Steve - I assume since you connected the DVD to the composite input there was no macrovision problem? Or do you have a macrovision free DVD?
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  17. (The DVD player is Macrovision free..)
    I'll see if I can get around to try a copyprotected video tape. But, since I always have a TBC inline, it will strip the Macrovision off too. So, I have to disconnect the TBC to try it out. Macrovision is so simple to remove, spend $40 and get a macrovision stripper.
    Quote Quote  
  18. It would be a scientific investigation so you & SHS could post the results on your respective websites.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    kitty if it had macrovision you can beat I would have done said something about it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. So you say it DOES have macrovision that CANNOT be beat?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try it this way if it had it macrovision I be bitching about it big time just like I do over at the ATI forum them there goof ball AIW Radeon.
    It the some as Black Jack Place your "Beat" you what I mean
    There no macrovision what so ever on this card or any of the Hauppauge card.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Good to know - thanks SHS!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Skittelsen

I downloaded your sample MPEG for DVD quality. Very impressive quality.
    I got a fast connection but it took 3hrs, mainly because the connection on your side is 4-5 kbs, but I'm glad I did and I thank you for the sample.

I saw interlaced problems but only on Windows Media Player 8. When I played the sample on PowerDVD (Cyberlink) I saw no interlaced problems watching at 1/8 the normal speed or freeze frame. I have to conclude that some interlaced problems must be related to the codec and the players. Since WMP does not have its own MPEG2 codec, it uses Cyberlink, I must conclude it is the individual player that produces this in some occassions.

The overall quality was excellent. I guess you must have gotten the signal from Cable or Satellite. Very hard to tell it from a real DVD.
    What software did you use to capture?
    Did you encode with an external encoder?
    Was it all done with Hauppauge WinTV software ?

The DVD quality clip had varianses of encoding between 6.8Mbs-9.1Mbs with most in the 8.6Mbs MPEG2.

Thanks again!!!

Why not do screen capture pics and post those to relieve download time and traffic?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm there man! When the 350 comes out I'm there.

Thanks for the sample clips Steve.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The clips were recorded from a DVD via the composite input on the PVR-250. The only capture application you can use to record from the PVR-250 is WinTV2000.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hi Steve,

thanks for the sample files. The VCD file looks better than I expected. It takes 12+ hours for me to get this quality with TMPEG, time for capturing not included. Now I just have to find a reseller with a reasonable price. The PVR 250 usually costs 250,- EUR in Germany, while in the US it is sold for only 150,- USD...

M!chael
    Quote Quote  
  27. Steve...having experience with both the PV256 and the PVR 250, can you say that one is preferrable to the other? I have been on the verge of getting a PV256t (need MPEG1 & 2 + tuner), but this card also seems to be shaping up nicely.

1. Is there any noticeable quality difference (in your estimation) between the two? (VCD and SVCD).

2. Which set of drivers (pv256 or pvr250) have you found to be more stable?

Thanks so much for you and SHS's time!

*edit*
    I ask because on another thread comparing the two ( http://forum.vcdhelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=278529#278529 ) , a user had this to say:
    I have both and I found the PV-256T much, much better. The WinTV-PVR gave really ugly macro-blocks even with just modest movement.
    I was asking about the WinTV-PVR PCI, and I realize that the PVR 250 is a different card, so I wanted to hear your thoughts on those concerns above regarding the 250. That, and the fact that the pv256c samples on your site are no longer available lead me to ask 'the master' himself
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    skittelsen I hope you don't mind but I uplaod your VCD/SVCD clip from that IP address web link you post on to my web site soon I be putting up link to them.

magicmycote when get some time go my web site click on review button then comparison page link oh tell me what think of it.
    By look at steve VCD/SVCD clip hands down the WinTV-PVR 250 dose have better quality then WinTV-PVR even a tad bit better at higher resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I think the PVR-250 with the iCompression chip is the best mpeg real-time capture card you can buy, both for mpeg-1 and mpeg-2. I think the video filtering is what makes the compression so good. The card seems to have the right amount of filtering without making the video soft, while at the same time removing most of the noise.

I was just capturing 352x480 at 2000Kb/sec, and I did not notice much blocking. I have never been able to do this before. But, I'm also questioning the bit rate control. My SVCD captures at 2500Kb/sec says the SVCD file is 28 minutes on a full CD-R, it should be 38 minutes. I'm not sure if Media Player is reporting the wrong time, or if the bit rate is actually higher than it should be. If anybody can check the files I made and confirm the bit rate would be nice.

Also, there is some questions about the VCD captures. It seems it's doing an inverse telecine on regular video that should be 30 frames. This does create some unsmooth motion (if this is the case). I have seen no controls for Inverse Telecine (or 30 to 24 frames per second reduction)

After I installed the lastest mpeg-2 decoder and the latest driver, I have had no problems with unstable capture software or the slow response I had with the original drivers.

http://steve.kittelsen.com/pvr250
    http://64.213.114.237
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if this is any help to you steve
    Num. of picture read: 1918
    Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML CBR
    Resolution: 480*480
    Aspect ratio: 4:3 Generic
    Framerate: 29.97
    Nom. bitrate: 2500000 Bit/Sec
    VBV buffer size: 111