VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. The maker of the chip seems to indicate the encoder/decoder chip supports AC3 - http://www.globespanvirata.com/GV%20iTVC15.pdf

Maybe if you select Output Streem DVD instead of stream Program?
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    kitty that will not do any good after all you need a digital audio input for that to work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does the encoded audio come into the PVR card or the sound card? I have a SB Live 5.1 which can take multiple channels.
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has to be piple thur the WinTV-PVR.
    The encode is dose both audio and video at thw same time.
    Maybe the plan for stereo input then encode it to DD 2.0 spec audio that give us AC3 encode but Ulead DVD Moviefactory dosen't support this option far I know of.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The iCompression chip is a duplex mepg chip, it can both decode and encode mpeg streams. The PVR-250 card has the missing video encoder chip. I bet the PVR-350 card is the same as the PVR-250 just with the missing video encoder ship and the missing S-Video output connector (see picture of the PVR-250 card). So, the PVR-350 will be a hardware mpeg-2 decoder (uses the iCompression chip) playback card, not software. However, for watching on your PC it will always be a software player. I installed another mpeg-2 codec, and it interfered with the Intervideo codec used for playing back the files (and watching TV).

As for interlacing/deinterlacing, I'm sure that the iCompression chip will do both. It's a matter of setting the correct flags. Before I was against deinterlacing any video for SVCD and DVD use, but now I see the advantage. It's easier to compress progressive deinterlaced frames, so you can use a lower bit rate compared to interlaced video. However, you DO loose some detail in the deinterlacing process! However, you can play the files on a PC or a TV set without any annoying interlacing artifacts.

I have looked in the registry, and the keys are pretty cryptic. I have found out how to delete the factory record profiles, and leave my own profiles. I like 4 profiles, VCD, SVCD, half DVD, and full DVD. This can easilly be done in the registry.

However, I have not found the keys for setting video filtering options. there are several video filters in the iCompression chip. I do not know if these filters are turned on or off at the moment, but I assume they are turned on. The video looks quite filtered, which is good for VHS recordings. But for a DVD records, it would be nice to turn off some of the filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  6. To bad Hauppauge doesn't put in any of these more advanced settings. It looks like they develop a product for a certain system (watching interlaced on a progressive display) and allthough the hardware seems to support so much more the drivers just don't support that.
    For as far I know there aren't any 3rd party programs available wich work with the 250 and provide more customized setting, or is there ?
    "All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream" E.A.Poe
    http://www.cask-of-amontillado.com/htpc.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup zamzickles and kitty just find out that for option AC3 is left over from the WinTV-HD dran.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I sure there are more advanced settings then this I'm they have them hiding for know.
    The main is get everything working at full speed and try to make you all happy I hope don't forget thoses of that had the first PVR know the advanced settings was very limet at first to which has we have more control over now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Skittelsen,

I just got some emails from the hauppauge support team. They wrote me that the de-interlacing is done by the mpeg decoder that the wintv app. uses. They said that the recording was just the original source(interlaced or progressive).
    Now, since the files you have shared don't seem to be interlaced my question is : Where these files recorded from a progressive source (even normal tv broadcast can be progressive i've read somewhere).
    Or was it a interlaced source ? In the last case the guys from hauppauge have to be wrong cause then the de-interlacing has to take place either in the icompression chip or in the recording process somewhere.

Hopefully you can give me a awnser.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Amontillado do a little reading
    http://www.msbtech.com/Catalog/FAQ/1200p.htm
    Quote Quote  
  11. SHS,

I'm not really sure what you mean. I think I got a pretty good idea how interlacing works. I think you are referring to the progressive/non-interlaced signal on a normal tv cable broadcast. Here http://www.100fps.com/video_resolution_vs_fluidity.htm I read about non-interlaced signals on tv cable. That's why I mentioned that in the reply above. If you mean something else please explain a little bit more what excactly you mean, I like to learn as much as I can about the subject
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    film-originated (24 frames per second, progressive)
    Theatres, DVD, DTV, HDTV, Digital Cable system input

video-originated (60 fields per second, interlaced)
    AIR broadcast, Analog Cable system, Digital Cable system, Analog DTV and HDTV input

What did he say he record from it rigth in front of you on the first page?.
    Quote Quote  
  13. About the interlacing, when I play back files that are interlaced, using Windows Media Player, I see the interlacing artifacts. When I play the files recorded by the WinTV PVR in Windows Media Player, I see NO interlacing artifacts. That to me means that the files are progressive, not interlaced.

I do my test records from Fox or CNN, where there is a scrolling news bar at the bottom of the screen. It's very easy to see the interalcing atrifacts on the scrolling bar. When the video is interlaced (on a PC monitor) the text has jagged edges. When the video has been deinterlaced, the text is soft. When playing the file on a SVCD on a TV set, if the video is interlaced, the text is sharp. If the video has been deinterlaced, the scrolling text is soft. From what I can remember, the text was soft when playing on a TV, another clue that the video recorded by the PVR-250 is de-interlaced. Still, the video looks quite good, just a little bit softer because of the de-interlacing process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That not rigth your recording do have interlaced I run it thur Womble Multimedia MPEG2VCR if there any interlacing artifacts it will show up and it did.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You are correct!
    When playing back older mpeg-2 files in Windows Media Player, the interlaced files are now deinterlaced. So, the install of the WinTV mpeg 2 codec is now in control, and will play everything deinterlaced on the PC.

I just made a new test, recorded in SVCD mode and burned the disk. The scrolling text on the TV when playing back the SVCD is sharp, and not soft. So, I stand corrected, and a "problem" is solved.
    Quote Quote  
  16. After using the PVR-250 for a few days, it seems to be a good, if not the best hardware mpeg-1 AND mpeg-2 card out there. Normally, the problem is with VCD record quality. However, it seems to do a better job than the other encoder chips out there that has both mpeg1 and 2 compression. I still need to do some more testing regarding the VCD quality, and look at all the other cards I have tested before.

I seem to have run into one bug so far.
    When recording long files, over 1 hour long, it has happened twice that the file is corrupt, and will not be played back or opened by any software, and the file simply has to be deleted. It seems to happen right after I do a resolution change and record a long file. I have to do more testing, but I have lost two long records so far. It seems like the file is not saved correctly. Obviously, this is a time consuming problem to track down...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Skittlesen, How annoying is the pause when changing channels? I was thinking of making this my main TV viewing hardware/software setup for the family. If it is at all annoying my wife will hate me for the change.

Amontillado, seems you are thinking of the same sort of set up as I am. I want to go for a better video card with a TV out and cheaper of the pvr cards (ie the 250 over the 350). Keep me informed of how your set up works.

Raindogg1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    skittelsen that rigth intervideo drv do take control of the WMP. maybe you want give it some time "15sec" before start a new recording or doing a resolution change.
    By the way have you try the new drivers that I post link today?.
    Quote Quote  
  19. When is your review going up SHS?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soon I can get a WinTV-PVR 350
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just for the ones that might interest it :
    - I just got a message from the dealer, the PVR 350 will be available in week 31 (28-july).
    I decided to wait for that card, doesn't cost much more than the 250 and I'm hoping that the tv-out is any good. Otherwise you still have the same option as with the 250, with the graphics card tv-out so you can't go wrong.
    Btw, thanks for all the info and help getting to understand the finer details of the way the card, and signal stuff in general, works

Btw 2 : Last week I installed the latest windvd version and it also has the de-interlace (bob) option enabled by default, that's why I tought the videoclips seemed to be de-interlaced. Sorry about that misunderstanding
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this card "ignore" macrovision when capturing from a VCR ? I'm considering using this card for converting my VHS movies and home VHS movies to MPEG2 for SVCD.

Thnx,
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  23. For the ones that have connections to Hauppauge, please ask about problems when selection high bit rate DVD resolutions. Often the image is jerky and breaks up into big blocks. At times it locks up the PC. There seems to be a bottleneck getting the mpeg stream from the PCI card to the software decoder and displaying the video on the screen. I have a P4 running at 1.5GHz, so I do not have an underpowered PC. As I have mentioned earlier, it feels like the card is connected via a USB port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    skittelsen plase go to
    http://pvr.opcenter.de/viewtopic.php?t=664
    If have any eles you want add be sure to do so there.
    Note: Hauppauge dose look over this forum every week
    Quote Quote  
  25. Good posting.
    I just noticed by reading it that I asked for a 60 frame GOP, that should be a 30 frame GOP. I'll get that changed on my own page...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I see hehe
    Quote Quote  
  27. so skittelsen, would you recommend this card? you seem to point out quite a few issues with it. i'm going to wait for the 350 version which should work the same, right?
    Quote Quote  
  28. So far, it's the best mpeg-1 AND mpeg-2 real-time capture card. Mpeg-2 performance is pretty close from card to card, but the mpeg-1 (VCD) performance is normally pretty bad. However, I can live with the performance of this card over Tmpgenc because of all the time saved. It is also the first card to ahve onboard hardware audio encoder, so the audio "out of sync" issue should be over. (?)

However, I have not tested the Nanocosmos editor to it's fullest, and made sure it will cut any files made by the PVR-250.
    Also, there is a high bit rate/resolution question where the WinTV2000 application stops responding and crashes. But I assume this will be taken care of with improved drivers for the card.

Otherwise, it's one of the few cards or boxes that will:

* capture VCD at a decent quality
    * capture 48KHz audio
    * has 352x480 and 480x480 capture resolutions
    * can capture full DVD specs video (720x480 at 10Mb/sec)
    * should not have audio sync problems

the above is often a problem with other cards and USB boxes...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Steve,

Do you notice any blocks at all in high motion scenes when played on a DVD player that are NOT there when played on your computer? Just wondering if the interlaced video shows those sort of artifacts due to interlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  30. If there are blocks in the video when it's interlaced, it will also be there when it's deinterlaced, and vice versa.
    Quote Quote