VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    CVD (China Video Disc): What is it, how to test it and what to expect!
    By SatStorm & VCDhelp Forum Members

The History: What is CVD, SVCD (Super VCD) and Chaoji VCD

As we all know, Super Video CD is an enhancement to Video CD, that was developed by a Chinese government-backed committee of manufacturers and researchers, on 1998. But SVCD, the way we know it today, was the final version of the second generation CD based movie media in China. The full story starts 2 years earlier, early 1997. That year, there were originally three independent efforts of bringing the next-generation video disc standard to the Chinese market:

- China Video Disc (CVD), developed by C-Cube Microsystems and its Chinese OEM partners
    - Super Video CD (SVCD), developed by China Recording Standards Committee under the requirements given by Chinese Ministry of Information Industry, with technical support from ESS Technology
    - High-Quality Video CD (HQ-VCD), developed by the Video CD Consortium (consisting of Philips, Sony, Matsushita and JVC, the companies that created the original White Book Video CD specification)

C-Cube with CVD, got a healthy head start, mostly because it was already an established subcontractor in the Chinese VCD player market. The development of the CVD specification began in 1997 and the first CVD players were released on the market in June 1998, while SVCD and HQ-VCD specifications were still at a draft stage.
    This move apparently created some panic in the SVCD and HQ-VCD camps, and the result was that the Chinese government, agreed to back the creators of the rivalling HQ-VCD specification. The overall deal was actually a big win to the Video CD Consortium (i.e. Philips-Sony-Matsushita-JVC) since they were late players in this game to begin with.
    However, most of the big VCD player manufacturers in China were backing C-Cube's CVD standard, and there were already approximately 300 000 to 600 000 CVD players in the distribution channels. To resolve this problem, the Department of Science and Technology of Ministry of Information Industry forced a compromise in incorporating CVD and SVCD under a single umbrella format called "Chaoji Video CD" in November 1998.
    So, "Chaoji VCD" (which roughly translates to 'Super VCD') is not actually a new disc format, but more like a compatibility specification for players. A Chaoji VCD player must be able to play back at least SVCD, CVD, VCD 2.0, VCD 1.1 and CD-DA discs.
    Today, all PAL standalone DVD players, when they state "SVCD compatible", are actually compatible with Chaoji VCD players. That means that both CVD and SVCD formats are supported.

Update: The DVD players for USA (NTSC, Region 1), are not forced to include CVD compatibility when they state SCVD compatibility. The reason is simply: Those standalones are not for use in China, even in theory (as happens with R2 PAL ones...).
    After lot of reports, looks like only the half of the DVD R1 standalones, reported compatible with SVCD, are also compatible with CVD. That makes it about 40% of the total R1 DVD Standalones. Most of them are made in southeast asia, and they using C-Cube's microchips.

More (but a lot outdated) infos for CVD/SVCD in General you can read at the following Link: http://www.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/svcd/overview

Technical features of CVD

In terms of video and audio quality, China Video Disc (CVD) is in between VCD 2.0 and DVD. It is using variable bitrate (VBR) MPEG-2 video up to 2.6 Mbps and either 1 or 2 MPEG-2 Layer II stereo audio streams). It is also possible to use MPEG-2 Multi-Channel 5.1 surround audio, but there are no many players out there to support this feature. Philips players reported that are compatible. For your information, the easiest way to produce multi channel audio CVDs,/SVCDs is through Linux. That makes the creation of such discs a very difficult task. So, it is not surprising that only demos of this feature exist today...

Update: The new versions of the great Fronter DVD2SVCD, supports the easy creation of MPEG-2 Multi-Channel 5.1. The first tests from users, reports that lots of DVD standalones, decodes the audio as typical stereo. Further Testing is neccessary, and short reports from users/testers are welcome!

Switchable subtitling also supported. In the matter of fact, CVD's switchable subtitling was adapted "as it is" from the SVCD format (except Philips players, as usual). With the well known Chinese program "I-Author" (you can find a demo in the VCDhelp.com utilities page), which was optimised for CVD authoring/creation, video enthusiast find ways to add subtitles to their SVCDs. That wouldn't be possible if SVCD wasn't full compatible with CVD. Today, there are other alternatives to add subtitles to SVCDs/VCDs, but I-Author continues to be the best solution (more compatible) for this. The bad news, is that there is no way to buy the program outside China. Thank God, Internet has no borders!
    Finally, CVD, like SVCD, supports HTML style hyperlinks, still images, playlists/slideshows, multi-level hierarchical menus and chapters (indexing). To make that even more clear, for many things, SVCD is CVD compatible and not the opposite. CVD set once some standards, and SVCD adapt them!
    The CVD picture resolution is 352 X 576 for Pal and 352 X 480 for NTSC. This resolution has a name: 1/2 D1 (some call it D2). It is also a legal DVD - Video resolution.

Why to choose to encode to CVD and not SVCD.

CVD has all the efforts of the well known SVCD, but with 1/2 D1 resolution (some call this resolution D2).
    This 1/2 D1 (352 X 576/480), happens to be a legal resolution for DVD - Video also. So, you can use your 352 X 576/480 mpeg 2 files on CDs today and on DVD -/+ R(W) tomorrow, without any picture re-encoding or re-scaling. This is not possible with SVCD, 'cause the resolution used by this format (480 X 576/480), ain't compatible with DVD - Video. So, SVCD files needs re-encoding if you want to burn them on DVD. There are (of course!) ways to convert SVCDs to DVD-Rs without re-encoding, but that creates something like "xDVD" and many players does not support discs with such files. The most common problem, is a picture with totally wrong aspect, or blank picture in the right of TV screen!
    With CVD you don't have that kind of problems, plus ALL your DVD authoring programs gonna accept your CVD files as 1/2D1 - DVD ones! So, it is more easy to author files and create menus, etc.

The resolution of 352 X 576/480 also happens to be the official SVHS resolution. So, grabbing at this resolution from a SVHS source and direct encoding it to CVD, make the conversion almost lossless with the use of standard CVD/SVCD bitrates (~2520kb/s).
    The "S-Video in" connection, most capture cards today includes, is also (in practice) limited to this resolution. S-Video can give very high resolutions, but it is almost impossible to use a resolution beyond 352 X 576/480 with SVHS. (The true varies a little and it is ~384 X 520 for both PAL/NTSC, but ain't noticeable anyway)

Update
    Now, it is a perfect opportunity to clarify a myth here: There is no way to grabb from any analogue source (including TV broadcasts) and with the use of "S-Video in" to get a usefull resolution beyond 384 X 576/480.
    The reason for this, is that in analogue technology, there are no horizontal lines like the digital world, but horizontal DOTS. 720 dots in a raw, creates what we call a line. With the analogue transmissions, if a dot is missing in the raw, there gonna be no replacement, just a null dot, a nothing. The lenght of the raw, gonna be always the same with or not some dots. For example:

A line with all the dots: .................................................. .........
    A line with some dots missing : ... ............. ............. ..................... ...

In theory all types of connections/cables are capable to carry a picture of CCIR-601 resolution from a source to a screen, but there gonna be loses in the dot raw line like those in the example. Those loses are more for composite, less for S-Video and even less for Component and RGB. It is not easy to expain it further in a simply post, maybe a future article
    With S-Video, those loses are about 1/5 of the video in theory. In practice and mainstream cables/connectors, is more, about 2/5 or the original info.
    So you end up with 384 horizontal usefull dots X 576/480 vertical lines. And becase in digital world only the usefull info counts, any grabb with the use of S-Video beyond 384 X 576/480 is a fake!
    If you want source on higher resolutions, you can experiment with DV, DVB transmissions (when you grabb direct the stream with the use of special hardware), DVD - Video (ripping) and source which came from Component adaptors or RGB ones. The full Euroconnector cable (known more as SCART) includes sometimes the RGB info, but a Full SCART to SCART cable required , with high quality parts and those cables costs a lot!. Also, the difference ain't easy noticable on a TV, but is very noticable from the encoders!
    Overall, don't expect higher resolutions beyond 384 X 576/480 with the use of S-Video! It is practicly impossible to have them! And because 384 X 576/480 ain't a supported resolution in any optical media, go straight for 352 X 576/480. And guess what, that is the resolution of CVD!

Back to our subject: It is true that using Cinemacraft encoder and the maximum possible CVD bitrate (2520kb/s if you use audio 224kb/s), any CVD from a SVHS (S-Video) source looks identical with the original source.
    With the new TMPGenc Pro, and the use of the new 2 Pass VBR mode, almost the same quality is possible (not that good but close enough), but that requires advance knowledge of TMPGenc settings which is not the easiest task for most users. You need to test a lot with this encoder to find the correct way to succeed that kind of quality! There is no "load template, hit encode" solutions with TMPGenc! Always remember that!

Another reason to choose CVD and not SVCD, is the picture quality issue in general. CVD is always overall better.
    - If you are a quality freak, then the CVD format is a better choice than SVCD. CVDs can use the same bitrates as SVCDs but for a lower Horizontal resolution. So, the data shared to each field/frame is more for CVD, than the data shared to each field/frame for SVCD. That is the secret: More data per frame, at the same bitrate, better picture for CVD.
    Just for your information, the less horizontal lines ain't noticeable in a average TV of any screen size. Only if you own a HDTV, you might see CVDs a little bit more blurred than a SVCD. You can prevent this, if you use wise a sharpen edge filter during the encoding. With TMPGenc, try values like 8/16/32/64. That sharps the picture, the same way we sharp any picture on our VCRs.
    - If you belong to the "more per CD" party, then CVD is also the way to go: With CVD you get SVCD picture quality, with lower bitrates. That means smaller files.

Some Examples to play with:

# A CVD with a CBR bitrate of 2520kb/s looks better (less blocks/smoothness) than a SVCD with a CBR bitrate of 2520kb/s
    # A CVD with a CBR bitrate of 2350kb/s is picture quality equal with a SVCD with a CBR bitrate of 2520kb/s
    # A CVD with a VBR bitrate of 1200kb/s minimum, 2300kb/s average, 2520kb/s maximum is equal a SVCD with a VBR bitrate of 1200kb/s minimum, 2520kb/s average, 2520kb/s maximum. In theory, this settings produce the best SVCD quality possible, even if average/maximum have the same value, 'cause picture is scanned twice and a better allocation of data per frame succeeded.

Update Ain't SVCD better in picture, because of the more resolution (480 horizontal lines)?

Well, yes and no. The 128 horizontal lines ain't that important for picture quality. The difference between a CVD and SVCD ain't noticable to mainstream television sets, only enchanced and HDTV ones. In other words, for the 80% of the TV sets out there, there is no real differance. For the lucky owners of the rest 20%, yes it is. A slighty one, but it is! SVCD is sharper!
    There is a way to to eliminate this :Use sharpn filters when you encode.
    With TMPGenc plus for example, if you use the sharpen edge filter and the values 8/16/24/32 , you eliminate any difference in sharpness between CVD and SVCD. But use those filters wise, 'cause from a point and beyond, filters add noise to your ouput files!
    Of course, you can use this tip with SVCDs too, and get even better sharpness with them, but this is another point...

The Vertical lines are the ones that counts for real. Those are the ones which give detail and crystal clear picture to our encodings.
    Also, because of the Less Picture resolution of CVD but the same possible maximum bitrate as with SVCD, CVD is more flexible and give us more choices:
    We can use standard SVCD bitrates and get better picture with CVD (more data per frame that way than SVCD), or use lower bitrates and get equal picture with SVCD (With CVD's resolution, less pixels needed per frame than SVCD to produce equal picture).
    Overall, with CVD, we can choose: DVD near picture quality or SVCD picture quality but with much more video per CD.

"Shocking": CVD is DVD-near quality!

For quality freaks I suggest CVDs with Constant Bit Rate (CBR) up to 2520kb/s. With this bitrate, you get 35-38 min per CD, and it is near DVD quality.
    That is a technical true: A CCIR-601 DVD-video file, uses an average bitrate up to 5000kb/sec.
    A 1/2D1 DVD-Video, needs an average bit rate up to 2.500 to produce the same quality but for the half resolution. Simply mathematics?
    The CVD maximum bitrate is 2520, like SVCD. That means that it is possible to use the same bitrate as with 1/2D1 DVD-Video files. Now, I remind you that CVD has the same resolution (352 X 576/480) with the 1/2D1 DVD video. So, if you compare them, the only differences between a CVD file with 2520kb/s bitrate and a 1/2D1 DVD-video, are the multiplexing and the maximum possible bitrate. With CVD that is limited up to 2820kb/s (if you don't use audio), while with DVD you can set it up to 9000kb/s. The resolution is the same and, the Average bitrate can be the same.
    From this point, CVD is for real "DVD" near quality. Well, 1/2D1 DVD-Video near quality... But we can still say DVD-near quality, won't we? Who gonna notice a small "1/2 D1" before the "DVD"?

Suggested settings for CVD:

- For ultra quality freaks, I suggest 2 Pass VBR with 1200 minimum/2520 average /2520 maximum. Better allocation of data per frame can be expected from this, but to tell you the true, ain't worth the time!
    - Top quality can be expected with CBR up to 2520kb/s. You get 35-38 min per CD, and it is near DVD quality. I also suggest:
    - For 4:3 movies, I suggest 2 Pass VBR with 1200 minimum/ 2350 average / 2520 maximum.
    - For 16:9 movies, I suggest 2 Pass VBR with 1200 minimum/2150 average/ 2520 maximum.
    - For 2:11:1 movies, I suggest 2 Pass VBR with 1200 minimum/1900 average/ 2520 maximum.

Those settings produce top quality at fair filesize. You can set higher bitrates and get better pictrure, or set it lower and get smaller files (more per cd that way). You have to test yourself a lot and find what is suitable for your needs, if the suggested ain't look good enough in quality for you.
    I don't suggest CQ modes, 'cause I don't like them. If you are a fan of CQ modes, do your own tests. In generall, I can only say that CQ_VBR @ 3000 maximum/1200 minimum and 65%, gonna produce files like the ones with the 2350 average, but in much bigger files.

In case someone interest on what I use when I encode to CVD:
    Personally, for 4:3 movies, I prefer to use 2 Pass VBR with 1200minimum/1900 average/2520 maximum and I really like the picture. For most movies, those settings give me amazing results ("Matrix" for example). There are exceptions of course (example: "Mummy returns", don't try to set the bit rate less 2450kb/s), but there are limited.
    For movies with 16:9 aspect, I prefer to use 2 Pass VBR with 1750kb/s average. With 2:11:1 aspect source (very common for current music videoclips and a lot of current movies grabbed from DVB transmissions), most of the times 1450kb/s average is enough! There times I set it even lower (1250) and still get excellent results! An example, just for the record: I just finished encoding the movie "Highlander 4: Endgame", which is 93 min. The source was a DVB transmission with 2.11.1 video aspect (almost half vertical 4:3). I encode it to CVD with the shocking average bitrate of 1100kb/s Video + 160kb/s Audio. The whole movie fit on one cd, and the picture quality is excellent! Amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes! That is logical in a way: The active window of this movie is 352 X 320 lines (~ 2.11.1) The rest of the picture are black borders in the whole 352 X 576 final mpeg 2 file. So, you can use VCD bitrates, because you have to feed with data only the active screen. In a way, it is like Picture in Picture. Remember that 352 X 320 is fair close to 352 X 288 of the VCD resolution. If you see it in general, it is simply mathematics! I report that only as an example for advanced users, just to show the possibilities.
    I also fit on a CD the whole 123min "Mummy returns" movie, using 352 X 288 (2.11.1 source aspect) @ average 690kb/s (!) and believe it or not with almost no macroblocks! Unfortunately, I can watch it only on PC, 'cause that low bitrate ain't acceptable from my DVD player

But again, all those settings looks good for me. Most of the users out there wouldn't go lower 1900 kb/s average! I can't blame them, if you have a DVD burner, there is no real reason to low the bitrate that much...
    Only if you want to do it for the fun..

The Audio Issue

CVD and SVCD use the same audio characteristics: 1 or 2 MPEG-2 Layer II stereo audio streams and, unfortunately, sample rate 44100Khz like audio CDs. That makes the audio incompatible with DVD. The audio must be 48000khz to be compatible with DVD.
    That means re-encoding if your audio source comes from CVD/SVCD and even if it is fast (so some could say ain't big deal), the upsampling ain't lossless!
    There is an alternative, if you don't like that wasting your time or the audio quality: More than 80% of the DVD standalones produced after 1999, which are also compatible with Chaoji Video CD players, are capable to play 48000khz audio on CVD/SVCDs. So, do a simply test with a CD0-RW and if your DVD standalone supports 48000khz audio at CDs, encode the first place with 48000khz audio. It doesn't harm and its gonna save you time when you copy your CVDs on DVD-Rs in the near future. Don't mention the benefits for the untouched audio quality

What the hell are you talking about: I tested that CVD and looks like crap. My xSVCDs/mini DVD are far more better!

Who said CVD is better mini DVD or a xSVCD with higher bitrates? (>2520kb/s average). CVD is better SVCD and also compatible with 1/2 D1 DVD - Video. It is not the best picture format out there! If your xSVCD/mini DVD suits you more, don't try it!

Correction/Update
    Are there any other parameters to consider in the creation of CVD?

Yes. The GOP Structure.
    With CVD/SVCD we tent to use big GOP structures, 'cause this helps with the compression (sometimes). Unfortunately, DVD is limited in this parameter: The DVD GOP structure is limited to 15 for PAL and 18 for NTSC. Beyond that, you are out of "standards". That doesn't mean necessary that your CVDs files wont play on DVD discs if you use larger GOPs. There are players out there, very flexible for those matters. But if you want full Compatibility, then use standard GOPs length!

Tip: With TMPGenc 2.50 and later, it is very easy to secure this limitation. Just go to settings/GOP structure and set "MAX numbers of frames in a GOP" to 15 for PAL or 18 for NTSC. That way, your CVD files gonna be DVD GOP compatible, when you burn them on DVD-Rs.
    Many users, set the PAL GOP structure to 18 and check the "closed Gop" option in TMPGenc or the other encoders. That way, you force the GOP structure to get the value 16, but that way might make the overall picture quality suffer, even if it makes the files acceptable from most DVD authoring progs!

Is there a guide or something for CVD creation?
    If it become necessary, I'll publish one. I don't think it is necessary yet!

What is the future of CVD
    Well, CVD, VCD and SVCD gonna die the day DVD burners became mainstream and the DVD media became cheap as CD-Rs are today. But all those standards, are based on MPEG. So, all the knowledge, all the tricks, all the stuff we learning today by simply messing up with all those standards, ain't gonna get wasted! We can use it with DVD-Video!
    Creating good CVDs today for example, could allow us in the near future to have 2 - 3 or more movies on a DVD-R, in a quality identical to prefixed DVD-Video solutions, created by automate programs/encoders like that crap: DVDit.
    Why to bother and don't follow those standard solutions when those media became mainstream? One answer is because some people want the 100% of anything and those programs don't give you that. One other answer ends up as a question: Why we have emulators for older game consoles/ computers? Why there is Linux? Why unplugged music in a electronic world? If you don't understand why we have all those things, then don't bother with CVD or limited formats like VCD and probably SVCD. Ain't for you! Go straight for DVD or XSVCD. For the others, I think CVD is Okey!

Anyway, the future of CVD ain't bright. But CVD is another form of mpeg 2, so for at least 20 more years, we gonna have it in our collection, one way or other!
    On CD today, on DVD-R tomorrow, the "spirit" of CVD (352 X 576/480 @ 2520kb/s) will follow us!

Hope this small article gonna help some video enthusiasts out there
    Have fun
    SatStorm
    First document version: 21 June 2002
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds good to me... but I can't find a program to create the BIN / CUE files. So far I've captured the video in a 352 x 527 (PAL) avi file with VirtualVCR, then converted it to the required bitrate and mpeg2 in TMPGenc, so I think I now have the perfect file to create the CVD. However, when I try to create the BIN / CUE files with VCDeasy, there isn't an option to create a CVD, just a VCD or SVCD. Can anyone point me in the direction of a program that would do the trick?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I don't use vcdeasy. I author and burn my CVD/xSVCDs with nero. For simply menu creation and a typical intro, it is fine for me...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Glad to hear someone else trumpeting the virtues of CVD. Since I started using it a few months ago, I wouldn't use anything else (except for some VCD's authored using Kwags templates to get a full movie on one disc). I use CBR at 2496kbps and 224kbps audio at 48k. This gives a total data rate of 2720kbps which is the standard read rate for DVD players with CD-R discs. It also guarantees up to 40 minutes per disc, so most movies need just 3 discs and are fully DVD compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hope this small article gonna help some video enthusiasts out there
    Not exactly small. good effort. well done.

It took u a while to do it, but well done.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  6. A lot of very good information, however if you go to www.KVCD.NET site you will find some of the templates for TEMGnc are based at least partly on the CVD method. I recently put three SVCD movies on a DVD-R using DVDiT and the KDVD half DVD template, the setting was 352x480 with audio at 48,0000, no problem bringing it in to DVDiT also ran test with Ulead DVD Miviefactory, again no problems. So for those interested in trying please visit the site and test out of the settings and various templates. They may not be for everyone, but they work for me.

Aloha
    Bud
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Well, I don't use vcdeasy. I author and burn my CVD/xSVCDs with nero. For simply menu creation and a typical intro, it is fine for me...
    Hi SatStorm,

Just installed Nero and successfully made my first ever CVD! Thanks for the tip, the menu creation and stuff is really cool too. What makes CVD even sweeter for me is that I had never been able to push my horizontal res past 352 as I would get horrible lines flicking on and off (as discussed in a different thread, I think we narrowed it down to poor PCI / Hard drive performance), and I had never heard of CVD or thought about using 352 x 576 before I read your guide Not being able to capture at SVCD (480 x 576), I thought I was doomed to VCD hell for ever, only to find CVD and realise it's actually better than SVCD as well, what a bonus! Great work, I'm going to get down to archiving all my families home movies on CVDs now

Merkin
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bud
    A lot of very good information, however if you go to www.KVCD.NET site you will find some of the templates for TEMGnc are based at least partly on the CVD method. I recently put three SVCD movies on a DVD-R using DVDiT and the KDVD half DVD template, the setting was 352x480 with audio at 48,0000, no problem bringing it in to DVDiT also ran test with Ulead DVD Miviefactory, again no problems. So for those interested in trying please visit the site and test out of the settings and various templates. They may not be for everyone, but they work for me.

Aloha
    Bud
    And as a bonus.
    If you take the KDVD Half D-1 DVD template and do the following:

Reduce the MAX bit rate to 2,500.
    Increase the max frames per GOP from 18 to 48.
    Reduce the audio sampling from 48Khz to 44.1Khz.

Now you can make an mpeg that will look better than a SVCD, just like in the discussion above, but will play in almost every SVCD player. And if you ever want to move the mpeg to a DVD(+-)R, you only have to re-encode the audio, because the video is already DVD compliant. Just like Bud said here.

kwag
    KVCD.Net - Advanced Video Conversion
    http://www.kvcd.net
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bud
    I recently put three SVCD movies on a DVD-R using DVDiT and the KDVD half DVD template, the setting was 352x480 with audio at 48,0000, no problem bringing it in to DVDiT also ran test with Ulead DVD Miviefactory, again no problems. Bud
    I have DVD MovieFactory, but I only can burn compliant VCD/SVCD? How did you do to make DVDMf to accept the 352x480 mpeg? As VCD or as SVCD? any trick?

Thanks,
    Fred©
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kwag

Now you can make an mpeg that will look better than a SVCD, just like in the discussion above, but will play in almost every SVCD player. And if you ever want to move the mpeg to a DVD(+-)R, you only have to re-encode the audio, because the video is already DVD compliant. Just like Bud said here.

kwag
    Hey kwag,
    with a GOP of 48 it is not a DVD compliant, is ?
    Fred©
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Fred©
    have DVD MovieFactory, but I only can burn compliant VCD/SVCD? How did you do to make DVDMf to accept the 352x480 mpeg? As VCD or as SVCD? any trick?

Thanks,
    Fred©
    Burn your VCD Disc as an SVCD with NERO, but turn off the compliance check first.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry, that SHOULD have said CVD disc!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Fred©
    Originally Posted by Bud
    I recently put three SVCD movies on a DVD-R using DVDiT and the KDVD half DVD template, the setting was 352x480 with audio at 48,0000, no problem bringing it in to DVDiT also ran test with Ulead DVD Miviefactory, again no problems. Bud
    I have DVD MovieFactory, but I only can burn compliant VCD/SVCD? How did you do to make DVDMf to accept the 352x480 mpeg? As VCD or as SVCD? any trick?

Thanks,
    Fred©
    I beleive he record as a DVD onto a DVD-R with DVDiT, the test in MovieFactory was also testing the mpeg to see if this product let that add to a DVD movie.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Fred©
    Originally Posted by kwag

kwag
    Hey kwag,
    with a GOP of 48 it is not a DVD compliant, is ?
    Fred©
    Sorry I should have said this is for burning as SVCD. If you want to retain DVD compliance, and in the future re-burn your mpegs on a DVD(+-)R, keep the max frames at 15(PAL) or 18(NTSC).
    If you don't care about re-burning in the future, and you want the maximum compression ( smallest file size ), then change the max frames to 48. But then it will not be a DVD compliant mpeg file.
    Still, you should be able to create close to an hour of video on a 80 minute CD-R, with the short DVD GOP.

Thanks for pointing that out!,
    kwag
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by energy80s
    Sorry, that SHOULD have said CVD disc!!!!!!
    ABCDEFG I can not say my VCD

I know that feeling energy80s, it's happening to me all the time with all the different templates

kwag
    Quote Quote  
  16. KVCD vs CVD? Anyone tried it?
    Quote Quote  
  17. How do you go about making a CVD though? Is there a template?
    Quote Quote  
  18. perhaps someone could shoot a step by step tutorial for those of us unsure in just how to create this cvd. I would love to try it but it just seems a little overwhelmign and as of now, svcd seems easiest to do.

TIA!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just my two cents worth.

"Oh boy... here we go again!!!" "what's CVD??... what's KVCD??"
    he, he....

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  20. lol. I know kvcd, been with it since kwag posted it here on vcdhelp. CVD is new to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nah, serious though.

Dah, ...EVERYTHING's ben posted above and then some. wake up!

I've ben doing these CVDsand variations of such, for some time now,
    and it's not too difficult.

In it's most basic form (using TMPG) :
    * RESOUTION: set to 352x480
    * BITRATE: set to CBR or CQ_VBR w/ max ~2520 bitrate (or 2pass)
    * AUDIO: set to 48k
    * frameFrate: 29 or 23 whichever your source material is in. (film etc)
    * INTERLACE: depending on your source - on or off

In it's most basic form (using CCE) :
    * FRAMESERVE via AVIsynth (so you can set RESOUTION to 352x480) in AVIsynth
    * BITRATE: set to CBR, 2pass w/ max ~2520 bitrate
    * AUDIO: set to 48k
    * frameFrate: 29 or 23 whichever your source material is in. (film etc)
    * INTERLACE: depending on your source - on or off

Easiest way to creat your own, is to just (TMPG) :
    * load in an Standard SVCD template
    * then load the "unlock.mcf" file (so you can make changes to tmpg)
    * then just make the changed/adjustments you see above. Vualla!! you have
    a CVD encode. No magic!

Other than that, you'll have to fine-tune it to your eyes.
    Everyone will have a variation of min/max setting, should you be
    using VBR or 2pass.
    Heck, from here on, any other change to CCE or TMPG is up to your
    tweaking knowledge. But, I'm sure you'll see a handful of these CVD type
    templates floating around real quick! Shesh! Wouldn't be surprised if
    someone post's one this evening, argh! No, not from me, he, he... I'll
    leave that up to some brave night! he, he...

Template you ask? Just follow above, and then save as a CVD template!
    That's about it!

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  22. so the only differance between SVCD and CVD is 48k audio and 352x480 instead of 480x480?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PlaiBoi,

If you're still confused with CVD, then please re-READ SatStorm's
    starting thread. I thought it was pretty well laid out - even for the newbies.
    The answers are right there, but you're tying up this thread w/ redundant
    questions like what's CVD?? (maybe not you, but someone's
    bound to ask this, and IN THIS VERY THREAD, DaHaH.

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  24. Satstorm - I question your statements about S-Video, my understanding was that S-Video was a cabling standard not linked to any maximum resolution. Do you have an authoritative source for this? Are you sure you are not confusing S-VHS and S-Video?

My evidence is that S-Video caps look better at 720x480 than 352x480, and my TV was able to display an 800x600 PC screen thru S-Video.

I don't mean to nitpick, I use CVD myself and you have given some excellent info.
    Quote Quote  
  25. To answer the questions on what I did to get DVDiT to accept the 352x480 SVCD file....NOTHING......I used Kwag's KDVD Half DVD template to run the file through TMPGEnc as is with no changes. that will create a SVCD file with 48Hz audio, I opened DVDiT inserted the three movies with a button for each movie, total time for the DVDiT conversion was about two hours, I played the DVD-R back on a Panasonic LV55, Pioneer DV 343 and a SamSung M301 with no problems. So as I said before for additional information on how to do this visit the www.kvcd.net site and test the Templates for yourself to see what you can and can not do. Here is two examples of file size after running The Others 655,835, the Skulls 1,025,763 and the last was 899,355 As long as you do not exceed 4.7 GB (DVD-R Size) you should not have any problems.

Aloha
    Bud
    Quote Quote  
  26. vhelp,

After clarifying the matter, im no longer confused about CVD.

If you are bothered so much by people asking questions then i dont think you understand the meaning of a FORUM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good morning all.

I've encluded a CVD sample clip I encoded last night.
    This is from a capture I did using my ATW card, with a
    352x480 resolution. Yes, that cheap card that everyone's
    so against, he, he...

Ok, to make this project into a CVD, All I did was (TMPG) :
    * load a Standard SVCD template,
    * Resolution: 352x480
    * Audio: 48k w/ 160bit
    * CQ_VBR: 1450 max
    * Encode it
    * Burn with Nero, and compliance OFF

---------------------------------------------------------
    Of course, I have my own CVD templates that I use, but I
    wanted to demonstrate how easy it is for anyone to make
    a CVD encode using the SVCD template in TMPG as a bases
    or starting point.

---------------------------------------------------------

* no need to deinterlace. It's a waist here, being that
    this is an MPEG-2, and MPEG-2 supports interlace. So, leave
    it on, NOT off cause your DVD player will handle it properly.

Download VHELP's sample here: CVD
    or visit my VHELP's Sample... thread for samples posted everyday or so.

Let me know of theres a problem with the clip.
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by energy80s
    Glad to hear someone else trumpeting the virtues of CVD. Since I started using it a few months ago, I wouldn't use anything else (except for some VCD's authored using Kwags templates to get a full movie on one disc). I use CBR at 2496kbps and 224kbps audio at 48k. This gives a total data rate of 2720kbps which is the standard read rate for DVD players with CD-R discs. It also guarantees up to 40 minutes per disc, so most movies need just 3 discs and are fully DVD compatible.
    Hi energy80s,

I would just like to ask this about your post (or if anyone else can answer me), is it better to use CBR 2496kbps with 224kbps audio (total - 2720kbps) rather than CBR 2520kbps and 224kbps audio (total - 2744kbps)? You say 2720kbps is the standard rate for DVD players to read cd-rs, so are you saying that this makes it easier for the DVD player to read the disc and hence give better performance? I would really like to know as I'm trying to settle on the best combination of settings.

Thanks,
    merkin
    Quote Quote  
  29. Yes, go for 2496, even though most players will cope with higher rates, and 24kbps wont make any difference to the final picture anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp , I viewed the CVD clip you created and the quality is AMAZING !!!

I captured a small videoclip using TV Wonder in MPG/MPG2 format but when I try to use TMPGEnc2.55 Plus to encode using your settings , the audio option are grey out. How do I select the audio to be "48K w/160bit" ?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by vhelp
    Good morning all.

I've encluded a CVD sample clip I encoded last night.
    This is from a capture I did using my ATW card, with a
    352x480 resolution. Yes, that cheap card that everyone's
    so against, he, he...

Ok, to make this project into a CVD, All I did was (TMPG) :
    * load a Standard SVCD template,
    * Resolution: 352x480
    * Audio: 48k w/ 160bit
    * CQ_VBR: 1450 max
    * Encode it
    * Burn with Nero, and compliance OFF

Download VHELP's sample here: http://www.westnet.com/~vhelp/0621.1.sat-to-atw.cvd.rar

Let me know of theres a problem with the clip.
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote