VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Non Compliant SVCD, 800mb on a 80min(700mb) CD is this possible yes or no.

Im using NERO to burn my MPG files to SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest
    Is This correct?

800 megs SVCD compliant Mpeg fits on a 80min(700meg) cd
    as it can be burnt in Mode 2(no error correction)

When a non-compliant mpeg(SVCD) eg a Mpeg with 48KHZ audio or with a res of 352x576 mode 2 can no longer be used so I can only fit a 700mb mpeg on a 80 min(700mb) cd

Someone must no this, and yes I have searched the Forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has nothing to do with compliance, resolution, or audio frequency. When burnt in mode 2 you can fit 800 MB's onto an 80 min cdr. Svcds and vcds use mode 2 so yes, 800 MB's worth of mpg will fit onto an 80 min cdr if burned as a vcd or svcd.

Nero is not a very good svcd burning program. It will often tell you your file is to big for the media even when it isnt but who knows, it may work fine for you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guest
    Thanks for the reply ADAM,

What program do you recomend for burning SVCD`S as with NERO & Non-compliant Mpegs I can only fit 700mb on a 80min CD. By the way I also tries VCDimager same problem.

Also with VCDs I have no problem with NERO 800mb on a 700mb cd no problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you want to only use free software then sorry, the best recommendation I can give is vcdimager. Maybe experiment with it some more.

Personally I author my svcds in I-Author and burn with CDRwin and don't think any combination of software can even come close to this, but of course its not cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    It would be interesting to hear other peoples ideas on the subject & which software they are using to burn SVCDS
    Quote Quote  
  7. You CAN burn 800MB non-compliant SVCD's on CDR by using Nero, without any problem ! (reading your Q. it sounds like you're infact trying to let Nero RE-create the MPEG2 file)
    Just click on OK when Nero tells you it is a NON-compliant SVCD...
    And start burning.

Whether it's a good idea to do that would be a next question.
    Answer: No !
    Never master/burn a VCD or (X)SVCD with Nero !
    Master it with VCDEasy/VCDImager. Make a CUE/BIN with it. And burn that image file with Nero.
    Then you get the perfectly burned (X)(S)VCD
    There R 3 sides on every story;
    Yours, Mine and the truth
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guest
    The problem is when I burn a VCD with nero I can fit 800mb on a 80min cd without overburning.

When I burn a 800mb non comliant SVCD using NERO it does not fit.(by a long way)

No I do not let Nero re-encode my mpeg.

Another ? What is the differance between DAO & DAO96?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think your mpg isn't multiplexed correctly. This can happen if you just encode audio and video together in TMPGenc. The result is that Nero somehow misreads the size of the file. When making svcds you should always encode audio and video separately and multiplex with bbmpeg in the end. I personally do not believe that TMPGenc's multiplexor is completely compliant. I have had far to many compatibility issues with it in the past even on the latest releases.
    Quote Quote  
  10. CinemaCraftEncoder also gives the same problem. I always use JOIN&MERGE (eventually even without cutting at all ) from TMPGenc to make a final mpg file. That one should be useable in Nero.

I have done many XSVCD's around 800MB with Nero sofar.
    Some months ago I turned to VCDImager/VCDEasy. Because of the above Q I tried to use Nero 8.8.5.2 again. And it really did work.

Don't mind the RED bar's minute mentioning. Just check the MB's it reffers too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. After looking at this forum discussion, I tried to burn an 800 mb cue/bin image to a 700 mb cd. I get a disc analysis failed error from nero. It says that it cannot write compilation in TAO with this recorder. What does that mean?
    Quote Quote  
  12. TAO = Track At Once
    If that can't be done (neither can my burner in such cases) try burning it in "Disc At Once" mode. After you hit the BURN-button you get a selection menu where you can select: Simulate, Find Max. Speed, TAO or DAO !!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Guest
    Thanks for all the Good replies.

MARS-L
    I was asking for difference between DAO & DAO96
    also I am not letting NERO re-create my Mpeg.
    I`ll try your trick with the Cut&Merge in TMPGenc.
    Are you using 80min or 90min CD`s?

ADAM
    I also tried multiplexing with BBmpeg same result 820megs MPG stays as 820megs in NERO.
    Could it be because I am using a heavily modified matrix &GOP
    Any other sugestions?
    I also tried VCDimager.......same result.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  14. My TAO/DAO mentioning was in reply to Flickleech. I don't know the exact difference between DAO and DAO96. I assume it has to do with ISO norms but don't know the exact difference.

I am using 80 min (700MB) CDR's. And I think the Join&Merge option of TMPGenc will surely do the job. Coincidentally I had the same problem yesterday. Encoding with CinemaCraftEncoder and immediatly making an CUE/BIN with VCDEasy I got an imagefile of 910 MB. After having used Join&Merge first it changed into a file of 798MB (Which fitted on the disc). The MPEG stays the same (quality/rates etc...) the onlything TMPGenc changes is the packet size of the file. (CCE creates file with a wrong packet size)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Guest
    Thanks MARS-L I´ll give it a go tonight when I get home
    Quote Quote  
  16. Guest
    Mars_L- Thanks, it works if I select cut/join in Tmpgenc then,Mpeg2-SVCD VBR then hit run the mpg drops about 100meg!! in NERO.

The strangest thing is I encoded the Mpeg in Tmpgenc so why do I need to demux & re-mux??

Strange thing is when I select de-mux and then Mux in tools I dont get the same result in Tmpgenc???Can someone explain this.

Also using BBmpeg to mux the Mpeg is almost 100mb bigger when burning in Nero or VCDimager???Maybe I´M using the wrong settings here??

anyway I can now fit almost 100meg more on my 80min CDS!! :P
    Quote Quote  
  17. Sorry...all I know is that it works not why it works, nor doesn't work with demux->mux....
    All I can think of/guess is that the initiallty header is wrongly giving the file wrong packetsizes with lots of empty space (like Fat16 vs Fat32 vs NTFS sector sizes) and TMPGenc's Join/Merge corrects this.

As said just a guess, so might be entirely wrong or thought too simple.
    Infact now I'm interested too in the reason....

Greetz
    Mars-L
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks for the response Mars. It works fine now.
    Quote Quote